Morgan Rielly

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
By "luck" I mean that a larger percentage of the shots he takes and the shots that are taken while he's on the ice are going in than will over a larger sample, I don't mean to say that he's untalented. OIsh%'s and Shooting %'s universally regress to a mean that's lower than what he's at for this year for all defensemen, and by quite a bit

the concepts of luck and talent aren't opposed to eachother either, a player can be both, and he has been both. To keep up his current paces, the volume of shots he takes and the volume of shots taken while he's on the ice will have to about double (a little more than that for the shots he takes, a little less for the shots that are taken while he's on the ice)

I do agree that he would make Team Canada if it were an Olympic year and he would deserve that, but I think his underlying numbers point to him falling out of the race to win an award that only one defenseman that make up all of Team Canada, Team Sweden, Team USA, Team Russia, Team Finland and all the rest of them gets to take home. He's a top 20 player at his position in the world sustainably, and a top 10 player at his position this year that's gotten a few more bounces than the rest of those top 10 players at the position in the world

he will finish top 3 Norris voting for this season, book it

oh,,and it will be well earned.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How does a top 5 pick offensive dman (and if the draft could be redone again, would have probably gone 1st overall) be lucky when he's just entering his prime and fulfilling to be the exact player he was drafted and developed to become? It's like making a point that he was lucky to be drafted 5th overall. His hard work, maturity and development has made him become the player he is, and he is still getting better. That is the big picture of why Rielly was drafted and we're seeing him blossom infront of our very eyes.

So other top offensive dmen like Karlsson are excellent, but Rielly is just lucky...
I mean, it depends what they do on the ice. Karlsson has been on the ice for 44 Sharks goals (45 expected), Rielly has been on the ice for 55 Leafs goals (37 expected). Obviously Karlsson does more offensively, and is getting less lucky

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
How does a top 5 pick offensive dman (and if the draft could be redone again, would have probably gone 1st overall) be lucky when he's just entering his prime and fulfilling to be the exact player he was drafted and developed to become? It's like making a point that he was lucky to be drafted 5th overall. His hard work, maturity and development has made him become the player he is, and he is still getting better. That is the big picture of why Rielly was drafted and we're seeing him blossom infront of our very eyes.

So other top offensive dmen like Karlsson are excellent, but Rielly is just lucky...
again, I think you need to read my whole post (maybe whole line of posts on the subject). I think Rielly is a terrific player, and it's not a binary option where a player is either excellent or bad, it's a scale (which I believe Rielly is near the top of, but not right at the top of despite it looking that way when you look at his hockey db page).

There also isn't a scale between talent and luck where the two are opposed to eachother, a player can be both talented/good and lucky, and I have stated that Rielly has been both (in the context of this year). No matter how good a player is, he is subject to massive filters of luck, if that weren't true the best players in the league would shoot at or near 100% which has never come close to happening in any season, by any player, ever.

in the context of this year, when you're comparing Rielly's underlying numbers to the guys that are his immediate competition for the Norris trophy (Giordano, Letang, Burns, Karlsson for the sake of argument), all of their production to this point is built on more sustainable underlying numbers (Giordano's are a little high too, but he's got the "defensive" acumen part that will muddy the voting water). I think that Rielly is unlikely to sustain his pace because his underlying numbers are likely to normalize, meaning that a smaller percentage of the shots taken by Rielly, and while Rielly is on the ice, will go in from this point forward than before now. Which means, unless the volume of those shots increases, it's likely that Rielly produces at a slower rate in the second half than he did in the first half where that probably isn't true for the guys he's competing with for the Norris

he will finish top 3 Norris voting for this season, book it

oh,,and it will be well earned.

I don't think that will happen, but I hope you're right. I don't think it matters much either, Rielly's a stud and that's what matters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
again, I think you need to read my whole post (maybe whole line of posts on the subject). I think Rielly is a terrific player, and it's not a binary option where a player is either excellent or bad, it's a scale (which I believe Rielly is near the top of, but not right at the top of despite it looking that way when you look at his hockey db page).

There also isn't a scale between talent and luck where the two are opposed to eachother, a player can be both talented/good and lucky, and I have stated that Rielly has been both (in the context of this year). No matter how good a player is, he is subject to massive filters of luck, if that weren't true the best players in the league would shoot at or near 100% which has never come close to happening in any season, by any player, ever.

in the context of this year, when you're comparing Rielly's underlying numbers to the guys that are his immediate competition for the Norris trophy (Giordano, Letang, Burns, Karlsson for the sake of argument), all of their production to this point is built on more sustainable underlying numbers (Giordano's are a little high too, but he's got the "defensive" acumen part that will muddy the voting water). I think that Rielly is unlikely to sustain his pace because his underlying numbers are likely to normalize, meaning that a smaller percentage of the shots taken by Rielly, and while Rielly is on the ice, will go in from this point forward than before now. Which means, unless the volume of those shots increases, it's likely that Rielly produces at a slower rate in the second half than he did in the first half where that probably isn't true for the guys he's competing with for the Norris

I don't think that will happen, but I hope you're right. I don't think it matters much either, Rielly's a stud and that's what matters

eh. Burns get sheltered borderline 3rd pair competition, and Karlsson gets 2nd pair competition. Any advantage they may have in "underlying numbers" is pretty much irrelevant, imo. They simply don't get used against other teams' top lines, and thus should never be norris candidates. The vlasic-braun pairing takes all the toughest abusive matchups for them.

Letang and Giordano do get top pair usage, though.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
eh. Burns get sheltered borderline 3rd pair competition, and Karlsson gets 2nd pair competition. Any advantage they may have in "underlying numbers" is pretty much irrelevant, imo. They simply don't get used against other teams' top lines, and thus should never be norris candidates. The vlasic-braun pairing takes all the toughest abusive matchups for them.

I don't think that the Norris voters will get that in depth, so I think Rielly gets overtaken in point production by a big enough gap by season's end that he falls out of the voting. What I was saying on Rielly is purely in the context of winning the Norris, which I don't think has any impact on how good he is or how he affects us winning. We should be thrilled with the pick, and what Burke said about him at the draft is finally believable

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think that the Norris voters will get that in depth, so I think Rielly gets overtaken in point production by a big enough gap by season's end that he falls out of the voting. What I was saying on Rielly is purely in the context of winning the Norris, which I don't think matters at all

but let's be real - the underlying numbers have very, very little to do with winning the Norris.

goals, points, plus/minus, icetime, team success. those are the only real considerations.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
but let's be real - the underlying numbers have very, very little to do with winning the Norris.

goals, points, plus/minus, icetime, team success. those are the only real considerations.
for sure, Norris voting is boxscore driven because most of the guys that vote on it are dinosaurs. But I don't think Rielly finishes 85pts which is what will matter, I'm thinking around 70 is where he'll land and I think that gets beat but one of the other guys that's perceived to be sort of one-dimensional offence from the back end

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Rielly has more points as a D-man than Skinner...
he's obviously better, but a vote is a vote. Pretty sure Sabres fans banded together to vote Girgensons in as an allstar one year. On the bright side, the Habs don't have a single representative and the Leafs still have two

Reactions: Schooner

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm alright with it. Yes he has more points than Skinner but Skinner has 29 goals which is pretty good too.

I'm sure it's a nice feather in your hat, but it's an all star game. Not that big of a deal.

Rest up Rielly.

We'll need you to be good to go for the rest of the season/playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
for sure, Norris voting is boxscore driven because most of the guys that vote on it are dinosaurs. But I don't think Rielly finishes 85pts which is what will matter, I'm thinking around 70 is where he'll land and I think that gets beat but one of the other guys that's perceived to be sort of one-dimensional offence from the back end

eh. scoring is up this year. and he's been producing very consistently this year (11pts in his last 10, for example). and that's even with the PP running dry. him dropping to 24pts in his last 39gms would be pretty surprising, imo.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
eh. scoring is up this year. and he's been producing very consistently this year (11pts in his last 10, for example). and that's even with the PP running dry. him dropping to 24pts in his last 39gms would be pretty surprising, imo.
Well we'll see, he's assured himself of the #1D moniker at this point in either case. It would be fun to see what he could do with a partner good enough to let him join the rush more often

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Think you've lost the plot here.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Think you've lost the plot here.
I think he's right, pretty sure zeke knows they've both won. The way the Norris (and a lot of the NHL awards) are decided upon is outdated, boxscores used to be the only way of tracking performance without watching every game for every player in contention, the guys that decide on the awards don't use nearly enough of what's available to them now to make their decisions

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
he's obviously better, but a vote is a vote. Pretty sure Sabres fans banded together to vote Girgensons in as an allstar one year. On the bright side, the Habs don't have a single representative and the Leafs still have two

Latvia voted Girgensons in.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I think he's right, pretty sure zeke knows they've both won. The way the Norris (and a lot of the NHL awards) are decided upon is outdated, boxscores used to be the only way of tracking performance without watching every game for every player in contention, the guys that decide on the awards don't use nearly enough of what's available to them now to make their decisions

I don't disagree with the sentiment here but if you think Karlsson should never be considered for the Norris your research has gone horribly awry.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
When was the last time a team failed to send their top scoring forward and dman to the allstar game who were also #1 and # 5 in scoring for their position in the league?

The NHL sure is making the All-star game a 'must-watch' with all the world's best players being there.... Oh.. Wait...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't disagree with the sentiment here but if you think Karlsson should never be considered for the Norris your research has gone horribly awry.
That's fair, the offensive outputs of guys who don't face top competition and get offensive usage should be discounted accordingly when the votes are taking place though too. I don't think that would stop Karlsson from consideration when he breaks 80pts in a given year either but it's less impressive than a guy who does the same in tougher usage

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->