Morgan Rielly

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Rielly mainboards thread is outstanding entertainment and a truly classic HFboards experience.

Rielly is mind-meltingly good this year. He's benefitting from the offence that we have, but there is no question that they benefit from him as well. JT makes a sick pass to him last night, but we can't forget Reilly's elite smarts and skating to get there in the first place and then a clinical finish.

Hope he wins the Norris.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
The Rielly mainboards thread is outstanding entertainment and a truly classic HFboards experience.

Rielly is mind-meltingly good this year. He's benefitting from the offence that we have, but there is no question that they benefit from him as well. JT makes a sick pass to him last night, but we can't forget Reilly's elite smarts and skating to get there in the first place and then a clinical finish.

Hope he wins the Norris.

Can't forget his wrist shot which has seemingly come out of nowhere the last couple years or so.
Christ his shot is stronger and more accurate than a lot of our forwards!
We're still missing a reliable bomb from the point though, but Rielly's nifty point wristers seem to suffice for the time being.
Can we please ship the dead-weight that is Gards and Zaitsev though...Replace with Edler/Gudas or similar please!

Think about the time and space our forwards would have deep in the zone if we actually had a one-timer threat from the point keeping the opposing D honest instead of hardly pressuring the points like they do now.

Reactions: unitedstars87

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Rielly's shot has become unreal. Once he realized he could score on NHL goalies with ease he started shooting a lot more during that tough week we had a while back. He started playing like Kessel, shooting from anywhere and his point totals started dwindling.

I think he realized he was starting to force things and now went back to what was working and boy is it working! As long as he lets the play come natural, his points will not dry up. Scary to think what sort of contract he'll be looking for come 2021-2022 season.
Icing on the cake would be if he used that 220lb body of his to lay a massive check now and then, keep the opposition on their toes.

Never thought he would pan out like this. I think management got pretty lucky in him as at the time, it seemed like a bit of a risk. I know they were very confident but still, 18 games played his draft year, major injury and really what did we know about him? That he was a fast skater who could pass, decent IQ, not a small guy? Nothing told you he'd be anywhere close to a PPG defender in 5 years time. Weird draft that year, but kudos management!

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
What % of his starts are in the offensive zone? Feels like a lot. Giordano goes up against the other team's best forwards and is still putting up great offensive numbers, I'd say he has the edge at this point
Captain Morgan has a nice ring
Captain the Leafs should Reilly appoint
Let's raise a glass and have a toast. To Captain Morgan: You leave the other team in a sling!
Other teams from victory Captain Morgan can disjoint
!
Tonight I'm gonna paint this town
So bring me two pina coladas, I want one for each hand, Let's set sail with Captin Morgan,And never leave dry land, Any troubles I forgot 'em I buried 'em in the sand So bring me two pina coladas
Lyrics for Two Piña Coladas by Garth Brooks - Songfacts
captain-morgan_custom-24997c9c0452ac1a908e515014a67896765496a1-s800-c85.jpg

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to slam anyone. I was just ticked that there were a bunch of negative threads and some of what I thought were superfluous threads. No reflection on you, apologies.
its all good! Reilly deserves a massive appreciation thread.
I also agree the negativity needs to stop the leafs are a cup contender and John f***ing Tavares is our 2c....I still don't believe this is real

Reactions: AreBe and meefer

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
A couple of 20 minute defensemen on the 2nd best team in hockey are dead weight?

....ok... :huh:

Jake has been really solid since the first week or two...and all everyone remembers now is his floater he threw up the middle vs. Detroit. The man gets no respect around here.

Plus there's this...

OK probably wrong thread but whatever

Reactions: my name is Bob

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I remember how we were all exaggeratedly talking about Rielly developing into a Letang or Karlsson when he was first drafted. And then it looks like he may have actually done that.

Morgan Rielly is the best defender from the 2012 draft in a landslide. Leafs made a fantastic pick at #5. In fact in a re-draft I'd say he easily goes 1st overall.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Lol I'm a much bigger Leafs fan than you will ever be. But I'm also a realist. Sorry you can't handle the truth old chap. Carry on with your delusions.
50 point defenseman playing 22 minutes a night is "dead weight", and I'm the delusional one?

Gardiner is 13th in the league amongst defensemen in defensive point shares btw, which is darn good.

You're seriously unrealistic and ridiculous if you think Zaits and gards are dead weight

Last edited:

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario

Hope he wins the Norris.

I came here to talk about how messed up the main board thread is haha. I usually think both sides are wusses but man that thread is something else. The hate and blind bias is real.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I said this was coming for years now. Actually i said Karlsson type offense was possible from him. Glad he has come out and proven me right so far this eeason. He is not fully developed defensively yet but the improvement from pre- world cup is nothing short of exceptional!

If i could sum up his game now in a sentence i would say, He is playing like many thought he should.

Very progressed in his pro game as of now anyway.

Edit: i did not think he would be quite this good. I thought less points than this crazy pace he is on.
People underappreciate the pairing he had had to carry. I dont mean to disparage Hainsey but a Hainsey near his prime would make Rielly look more like a prodigy

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
50 point defenseman playing 22 minutes a night is "dead weight", and I'm the delusional one?

Gardiner is 13th in the league amongst defensemen in defensive point shares btw, which is darn good.

You're seriously unrealistic and ridiculous if you think Zaits and gards are dead weight

What goes into calculating defensive point shares?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad