Morgan Rielly scores 60th point of season- First Leaf defender since 2006

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
With two assists in tonight in a 6-3 win against the Habs, Morgan Rielly becomes the first blueliner on Toronto to put up a 60 point season in 13 years, when in 2006, both Bryan McCabe (68 points) and Tomas Kaberle (67points) passed that threshold.

Given he now has 60 points in 61 games, the odds are mightily in his favour that he will break the 70 point barrier, which would put him in extremely rarefied territory for Leafs defenseman, and he even has a chance to catch Ian Turnbull's franchise record 79 points set in 1977.

Pretty special year for Captain Morgan.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Reading the Norris thread on the main board Rielly's apparently not even worthy of mentioning anymore.
It's funny because people will argue about how it's about defence, when in fact the Norris isn't the Selke of defencemen but all around play. It's amazing at how many people don't know that. So offfence plays a big factor.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It's funny because people will argue about how it's about defence, when in fact the Norris isn't the Selke of defencemen but all around play. It's amazing at how many people don't know that. So offfence plays a big factor.
It is a really deep Norris pool this year to be fair. Burns with his gaudy totals likely deserves the trophy at the moment and Giordano does have almost exactly similar offensive totals to Rielly this season while having the reputation of being a strong defensive player. The people not even mentioning Rielly as among the finalists are just wrong though; he is putting up at a near point-per-game place on a contending team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I never expected a point per game. It's a total shock to me he is putting up these numbers. I thought he'd top out at 50-55 points as his career high.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Been a huge fan of Mo since Moose Jaw and I thought he would cool off down the line. Still PPG and going strong. Feels great to see him having such a strong year.

I think at this point he is a lock for a Norris nomination.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I called that he would have a good chance at 60 this year. But I never thought he would get it this early in the year. Congratzzz.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Despite having 60 points in 61 games he shouldn't be on the PP according to some "smart" fans on here...

Reactions: Tmart335

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Whats become apparent is the narrative that our defense is bad is quite wrong.

When Muzzin came here there were a fair amount of people who said he was our best defenseman "AINEC". Well were seeing that its not close, because Mo is miles better. I know Muzzin isnt playing at his best right now, but hes not Rielly.

Those posters i never even pay a second thought to

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
While people on the main board try very hard to bring his defensive game down, they aren't necessarily wrong. Rielly definitely has his issues defensively, is prone to being a little soft and also has mental lapses, although he is not absolutely garbage like the way you'd think he is from reading main board posts. His skating and offence is way more than enough to make up for his flaws though. 60 points in 61 games is insane.

Mar 26, 2010
It's quite amazing how people view him on the main boards, I think he hit's 75pts
On the main boards, all Maple Leaf players are viewed as trash. Matthews is a 3rd line C, Tavares is not a top 20 player in the NHL or a #1 C... blah blah blah. :shakehead

I agree with you, 75 points is not out of reach. Rielly is the real deal.

Reactions: DanM

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He is a Leaf, what do you expect from the haters?
A lot still don't even consider him a #1D. No specific reasons why, they just know he's not a #1D.

The hate has become so irrational it's not even funny.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Whats become apparent is the narrative that our defense is bad is quite wrong.

When Muzzin came here there were a fair amount of people who said he was our best defenseman "AINEC". Well were seeing that its not close, because Mo is miles better. I know Muzzin isnt playing at his best right now, but hes not Rielly.

Rielly is better than Muzzin for sure, but I don’t think Babs is utilizing him properly.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Not only has he arrived, he’s surpassing all expectations I had of him. I never thought he would be at the level of Norris nominee, but here he is. It would be fantastic if this season were only the beginning of something truly special.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hope Rielly can overcome the bias and bring the Norris to Toronto this year.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Yes, Rielly has his shortcomings in the D zone. But, considering that he's been playing with Hainsey for the majority of the year, his accomplishments are even more eye popping. Were he to have played with a true 1st pairing partner Mo's season, imo, would have been much better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well... I expect the ability to be somewhat neutral, judge a player on real stats lol

But I guess I expect lot

the main boards were confide
It is a really deep Norris pool this year to be fair. Burns with his gaudy totals likely deserves the trophy at the moment and Giordano does have almost exactly similar offensive totals to Rielly this season while having the reputation of being a strong defensive player. The people not even mentioning Rielly as among the finalists are just wrong though; he is putting up at a near point-per-game place on a contending team.

Burns really doesn't deserve it. he plays sheltered minutes behind the abused vlasic/Braun pair that take all the heavy matchups, and is well behind Karlsson in qoc too.

meanwhile Rielly is the one on the leafs getting the elite matchups like vlasic does for the sharks.

Rielly plays a much tougher role than Burns, and still outscores him at even strength.

The ONLY edge Burns has on Rielly is a bit of PP production - but that's only because he gets much more PP time.

Reactions: DanM

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I doubt Rielly wins Norris, but he will get his share of votes. And more importantly, we got our #1 defenceman after all. We didn’t have to trade or sign. All it took was time and patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad