Injury Report: Morgan Rielly out 8 weeks with a fractured foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I hope we don't sell low. Here's a guy who can score 20 goals/40 points in the league. That is worth something. We should be able to get a 2nd rounder and a prospect OR a depth defender for him. Personally a depth vet right hand defender on a good contract would be nice. But I suspect because we want to resign Mik and Dermy that we will take a beatdown because of CAP again. This is another one of those issues that come up when you are so close to the CAP. Teams know we are in a rough spot.
that's probably what selling low looks like for Johnsson, he was looking like a significantly better player than what you're describing last year by all of the surface and underlying indicators, and was starting to look like that again in the couple of weeks before he got injured. If you get 20/20 value for him, he probably looks like a steal for the team you traded him to in a couple of years

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I hope we don't sell low. Here's a guy who can score 20 goals/40 points in the league. That is worth something. We should be able to get a 2nd rounder and a prospect OR a depth defender for him. Personally a depth vet right hand defender on a good contract would be nice. But I suspect because we want to resign Mik and Dermy that we will take a beatdown because of CAP again. This is another one of those issues that come up when you are so close to the CAP. Teams know we are in a rough spot.
Johnsson appears to out of Toronto due to having better guys to replace him at lower cap hits. You are right teams know this and due to the cap hit plus injuries it might even be tough to find a taker without essentially giving him away.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It seems like some folks have a bit of amnesia in regards to Morgan Rielly. He was having a brutal year and was on the level of Marincin defensively. I would not resign him once his contract is up.
Only Leaf fans would not re-sign the player that finished top 5 in Norris voting literally last season. We have knowledge of his injury this year and even in an injured year he was on pace for about 50 points. Let's at least see how he plays when he comes back before acting like this.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Let's be fair, he did this being stapled to Matthews all season and seeing some time on the first pp unit, who knows what his numbers would be if he was on the third line all year.

member 300185

Let's be fair, he did this being stapled to Matthews all season and seeing some time on the first pp unit, who knows what his numbers would be if he was on the third line all year.

Well, they wouldn't have been as good.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Only like 100 guys a year score 20 or more goals per year. Like 4 guys per team. For sure that puts him in top 6 on most every other team in league except tampa, boston and us. Edmonton would love a guy like that for their 2nd line. We could take back a guy like Bouchard. Seems fair to me. Maybe throw them Bracco too.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Only like 100 guys a year score 20 or more goals per year. Like 4 guys per team. For sure that puts him in top 6 on most every other team in league except tampa, boston and us. Edmonton would love a guy like that for their 2nd line. We could take back a guy like Bouchard. Seems fair to me. Maybe throw them Bracco too.
Edmonton wouldn't move Bouchard for him, would you move Liljegren for Johnsson?

You're probably looking at a 2nd+ a mid round pick which I would do.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Man I cant believe some people's opinion on rielly, he is the heart and soul of this team. Literally one of the best defenseman in the league and would be an integral part of an Olympic team Canada if there was one. Feels like people expect perfection from our players.

The only reason he wasn't on our top pp was because Barrie would have brought nothing to the team otherwise, he has a purpose now.

We survived without him just barely, including the lowest point of this team since finishing last. I for one cant wait to see him back in the line up

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Edmonton wouldn't move Bouchard for him, would you move Liljegren for Johnsson?

You're probably looking at a 2nd+ a mid round pick which I would do.
No way I would move any of our 3 kids. Not a chance. We are only starting to build up a defense core now. It will take a few more years still for development. But we are in a different situation than Edmonton. They need 2nd line scoring really bad.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
No way I would move any of our 3 kids. Not a chance. We are only starting to build up a defense core now. It will take a few more years still for development. But we are in a different situation than Edmonton. They need 2nd line scoring really bad.
Their 2nd line has been producing. If anything, they need a winger for McDavid because they gave all their good ones to LD so he won't struggle. They could probably find that without moving their version of Liljegren for a middle 6 winger.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
It seems like some folks have a bit of amnesia in regards to Morgan Rielly. He was having a brutal year and was on the level of Marincin defensively. I would not resign him once his contract is up.
I think he was playing injured. Hel get back to where he was last year. He’s still young

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Their 2nd line has been producing. If anything, they need a winger for McDavid because they gave all their good ones to LD so he won't struggle. They could probably find that without moving their version of Liljegren for a middle 6 winger.
Drai Nuge and Yamamoto is a solid line. McJesus Ennis and Kassian????? I think AJ would be a huge upgrade.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Exactly my point, calling him a 20 goal, 40 point forward is misleading. He can produce like that when he's stapled next to a franchise center all year.

AM is excellent but he is far from a franchise playmaker, plus AJ did that on just 13:40 a night and missed 9 games. Also he started the year on the 4th line scoring 3 points in his first 18 games with the lone assist being October 13 when he played under 9:00. I don't recall for sure but it may have been Marleau beside Matthews for the early part of the year.

After that slow start Johnsson had 40 pts in 55 games so it really was fairly impressive, albeit a limited sample (although a bigger sample than this year). Too bad he couldn't resume that level this season. It could be time to move him with the rookie shine still close or selling low and a bad move. I think he needs to play and he will establish a higher value, but that means no summer RD acquisition with him as a piece.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Man I cant believe some people's opinion on rielly, he is the heart and soul of this team. Literally one of the best defenseman in the league and would be an integral part of an Olympic team Canada if there was one. Feels like people expect perfection from our players.

The only reason he wasn't on our top pp was because Barrie would have brought nothing to the team otherwise, he has a purpose now.

We survived without him just barely, including the lowest point of this team since finishing last. I for one cant wait to see him back in the line up

Just because he may make Team Canada that doesn't mean he can break through our All World Global defense.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Only Leaf fans would not re-sign the player that finished top 5 in Norris voting literally last season. We have knowledge of his injury this year and even in an injured year he was on pace for about 50 points. Let's at least see how he plays when he comes back before acting like this.

I wonder how many people here would have given up on MacK before he broke out.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and ITM

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I wonder how many people here would have given up on MacK before he broke out.
With the contract he signed and his productions then you add in playing wing instead of C, he will be run out of town. Then picks up his game and become the player he is today. Kind of like all former Leafs, lol.
I think people look at Mack now and goes, wow, what a player, wow look at his contract....but they don’t remembered he was overpaid, struggled to a point that the coach had to put him on the wing....

Reactions: Jmo89

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
We need him back pronto.

Team will start to show cracks with him and Muzzin out. Muzzin too geez. This recent mini run hopefully they don't get a little complacent out in the nice weather.

Could walk away with 1-3 of possible 6 points if not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->