Morgan Rielly breaks Bobby Orr's modern points record for the first 5 games in a season

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
>Montreal
>Ottawa
>Chicago
>Dallas
>Detroit

What do they all have in common? None of them were playoff teams last year.

let's see if he can keep this up against actual good teams.

I think he can. Maybe not at this exact pace but he looks much improved all around. Has more confidence

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Meh. It's just the start of the season. It's most likely an anomaly but it's still strange to think that no one in basically 45 years has had as hot a start as Orr or the fact that the player that would end having as got a start would end up being Rielly.

If Rielly is going to win a Norris it's going to take a lot more than just a really great start.

I meant production-wise is the way he'll get nominated.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The only team in there I can see making it in this year is MAYBE Dallas. The rest are clear doormats.

you think ppl go through mcdavids points and pick out the ones against non playoffs?

12 pts in 5 games. shutup and enjoy it. best 5 game start by a dman in NHL HISTORY!

Reactions: ThewThew and Dustin

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
12 pts so far. if rielly just keeps his pace from last year (52pts in 76 games), he is gonna be at 65pts

thats with the expected pace of last year though, with bozak-jvr-kadri-marner on the pp

now it matthews,tavares,marner and kadri

Reactions: Dustin

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yeah

"Average Defenseman pads his stats against non-playoff doormats. News at 11."

There have been plenty of great offensive defensemen in the league besides Orr. Coffey, Karlsson, and Borque to name a few. Why hasn’t anyone else done this? Surely these defensemen faced just as easy competition to start some seasons? NHL scoring was also much higher in the 80s, when Coffey and Borque played. Why weren’t they able to do this?

Stop being such a buzzkill.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Next thread: "Is Morgan Rielly the best defenseman in the entire NHL?"

Thread after that:
"Can Morgan Rielly win the Norris and Art Ross?"

At least this thread is worthy of being posted though
You forgot the heart.

Can he though?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If you can't take the criticism, then maybe think twice before posting threads like this.

Calling him average is trolling and you know it. Its a fairly meaningless thread, but still kind of cool. I mean literally no one since Orr has started this hot, that's kind of notable. Leading the league in points, even if early in the year is notable.

You can criticize without trolling, clearly you dont know how and I mean what is there to even criticize here? That hes a leaf?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Considering how the Leafs PP works with Rielly diverting to Marner or Matthews... it basically gives him a good chance to get a point on nearly every single Leafs PP goal.

29 of his 52 points came on the PP last season. We'll probably be looking at 40-50 this season, maybe more.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This is one of the saddest threads yet. This is a great accomplishment. No he’s not better than Orr. He’s not even on the same tier as Doughty or Hedman.

There’s nothing wrong with pointing out a defenceman with 12 points in 5 games. That doesn’t happen often.

The vitriol around here is out of control right now.

Hockey doesn’t even matter anymore. It’s just a rumble.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
[mod]

kid is having a historic start. dont like leafs threads? dont come in and commenting garbage

There's nothing historic about 5 game stretches. Can you name the best 5 game stretch by a goalie? Didn't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
>Montreal
>Ottawa
>Chicago
>Dallas
>Detroit

What do they all have in common? None of them were playoff teams last year.

let's see if he can keep this up against actual good teams.

I going to go out on a limb and guess he won't keep him up and thus he will fall short of getting 211 points this season. 12 points in 4 and 2/3 games for anyone is very impressive especially for a defenceman, regardless of who those points came against.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I meant production-wise is the way he'll get nominated.
Yes perhaps. Morgan is only 24 so we may still see a bit of development from him. If he can put himself in the top 5 in points while still facing near the top QOC I can't see how he wouldn't get votes.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This is one of the saddest threads yet. This is a great accomplishment. No he’s not better than Orr. He’s not even on the same tier as Doughty or Hedman.

There’s nothing wrong with pointing out a defenceman with 12 points in 5 games. That doesn’t happen often.

The vitriol around here is out of control right now.

Hockey doesn’t even matter anymore. It’s just a rumble.

Who said Rielly is better than Orr...?

Or is it a narrative you're trying to start to bash Leafs fans...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->