Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I agree with you about Hainsey. Hainsey allows Rielly to play his game. The issue with Hainsey is he is 37 years old and can't handle top line minutes and be relied upon to kill every penalty for all 82 games and the playoffs. He is worn down by season's end. If Hainsey was 10 years younger, he would be a fantastic partner for Rielly.

What Rielly needs is a dman who can lock it down defensively and allow Rielly to play his game. Something similar to when the Sens had Methot/Karlsson or Chicago running Keith/Seabrooke.

Sort of the reason I really like Hainseys usage in game 2. He played less than Rielly/Dermott/Zaits as Dermott moved up with Rielly at certain times. It still allowed him to PK like mad and not look like he was gassed at the end.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Reilly is a stud. And will only get better as time goes on. 23 years old.

Norris trophy candidate in the future, as early as this season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If he keeps playing like he is this season and puts up 60+ points, he'll for sure get votes and could even be top 5-10

I love Rielly.

But I totally disagree. The Norris Talk is just ridiculous.

He's not even on the same planet as some of the elite Dmen in the league right now.

Maybe down the road, sure. But now? Not close.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly has never had a partner in the nhl who is considered more then a 3rd pair D man.

Played with Fraiser, Polak, Franson, Hunwick, Marincin, Zaitsev and Haisney.
Dispite these players he was a solid D man and an offensive force.

No D man in the League could make these D man look good.

Our PK pair look horrible because they are. Marincin is better than both on the PK.

Rielly is a stud D man and we are paying him like a number 3. That is fantastic value.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I love Rielly.

He's not even on the same planet as some of the elite Dmen in the league right now.

Fact about Rielly: He absolutely faces some of the toughest QoC in the league
Fact about Rielly: He put up 50+ points last year and looks to be on his way again this year

He's a 1D right now, probably in the 15-20 range however if he repeats last season or even has a season better then he is absolutely right on the door step as a top 10 D.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I love Rielly. Gotta hand it to Burkie on this one. A scout friend of my best friend, told me all the scouts wanted Forsberg and Burkie just went right over the top on them.

Now Forsberg has turned out most of the time to be pretty darn good himself, but overall, I think we did get the best guy in that draft as Burkie suggested.

And that has to be weakest draft I have personally inspected.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I remember the nay-sayers when he was drafted, in 2015, and even last year. The guy is a legit #1 Dman and point producing machine. A true leader to boot.

I think Babcock and co have done tremendous work with his development. Same can be said about Kadri. Both had similar treatment.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Already one of the best but I just feel he have another gear in him. Reckon it wont be long until he will get some serious Norris votes.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Fact about Rielly: He absolutely faces some of the toughest QoC in the league
Fact about Rielly: He put up 50+ points last year and looks to be on his way again this year

He's a 1D right now, probably in the 15-20 range however if he repeats last season or even has a season better then he is absolutely right on the door step as a top 10 D.

Like I said - the gap between him and the elite 1Ds is still quite large.

Him being Toronto's #1, and a bonified league #1, are 2 very different things.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

He is a a number one in the League.
Stop with the I like Rielly nonsense and then attempt to say that he is not a #1 when he clearly is

Reactions: Kubus

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Stop with the I like Rielly nonsense and then attempt to say that he is not a #1 when he clearly is

He isn't in my books - not yet. He has the potential to be, but I don't think he's there yet.
Most people who want to suggest that he is, seem to point exclusively at his points totals, ignoring his issues in his own end.
Until he tidies that up, he's not a #1 in my mind.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Burke was right - he definitely is one of the best players from the draft. Better then picks 1-4 for sure.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I actually think he's just been okay defensively so far. He is on pace to break the record for points by a defenceman. I always imagine Morgan with a true defensive stalwart as a partner, man that would be fun to watch.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I love Rielly.

I disagree.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
But he's not, that's the problem. You can't call him a #1D when he doesn't do #1D things. A true #1D needs more ice-time than Rielly, is better on the PK, plays more time on the PK, and can reliably be matched against other team's star players.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Our best dman by far and the only one I trust to be consistent day in and day out. What I want to see for him moving forward is playing bigger minutes while being reliable at the same time for 82 games. If he can do that I can call him top ten dman in the league.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

I dont see it, the gap is no where as large as youre saying. Qoc plus his point totals means to me he is absolutly a num 1 D man. Guys like karlsson and Subban are very overated imo. Id take prime sutter of prime karlsson ainec. Guys like prime webber and sutter are real Num 1 D. Karlsson is a winger playing d.

I am not a fan of what this generation of hockey fans think is a num 1 d. The bar for me right now is doughty,hes the best ainec. Karlsson is no where near as good as drew. So morgan is not as good as drew but morgan is pretty f***ing good.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

He's a 1D by every metric lmao get out of here, unless you think there's only 10 1D in the league...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad