Confirmed with Link: Morgan Klimchuck traded for Andrew Nielson

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The 2014 draft, with the exception of Bennett, was pretty much a failure for the Flames whereas the 2015 draft is clearly a success.
Treliving was the GM of record for the 2014 draft but there probably should be an asterisk beside his name... LOL

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’ve said this before, a lot of times. A major reason Feaster was fired was because he was incompetent at trading and was viewed that way around the league. Also the mess that went on with ROR.

If Burke was in charge when Iggy finally had requested a deal, Burke would have sat him down and laid out how things were to unfold. People can say Feaster was handcuffed all they like, he’s the one though that put himself in that situation.

If you walk into a car dealership at Ford, leave with a Ford and are mad later on that you didn’t get a Toyota, are you going to write it off as saying “well that’s all they had there so it’s not my fault”? I have zero sympathy for him because he wasn’t qualified to be our GM.

I’m not even gonna touch the ROR situation because that was a blunder that rivals what’s going on in Ottawa today. Again that was all his fault.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Iginla trade should be the case study for NOT trading quality for quantity.

And as for the Nilsson trade chain, I choose to reject that reality and substitute it with my own where trading Iginla allowed us to finish so low in the standings we could draft Monahan.
And Bennett the next year. The gift that keeps on giving..

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree with most of what you wrote but:
Erixon was drafted by Sutter and Feaster actually salvaged the situation pretty well by trading him to the Rangers for Horak and two 2nd rounders.
Not much wrong with the Sven pick either if you ask me.

You are correct. My mistake.

I do swear I recall reading something along the lines of attitude being a facet that the scouts or management starting looking into after Feaster's departure. I don't recall if it was around the Burke time or Treliving time, but I seem to recall it being an article a few years ago. Or maybe I'm crazy and I made it up in my head... (Hopefully not)

The Flames have a ‘Do Not Draft’ list, and 5 other things we learned at the PrimeTime sports conference

Burke, who presides over Calgary GM Brad Treliving and head coach Glen Gulutzan, served up another nugget about his drafting process later on in his appearance, revealing the Flames compile a yearly ‘Do Not Draft’ list.
The club is unafraid of blackballing certain players, regardless of their talent level, he said, because bad apples — or players who score poorly in background checks — don’t magically turn it around in a new environment.

Maybe it was this...? But it's possible this list has been around even during Feaster's era.

Whatever it is, I concede my error.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I’ve said this before, a lot of times. A major reason Feaster was fired was because he was incompetent at trading and was viewed that way around the league. Also the mess that went on with ROR.

If Burke was in charge when Iggy finally had requested a deal, Burke would have sat him down and laid out how things were to unfold. People can say Feaster was handcuffed all they like, he’s the one though that put himself in that situation.

If you walk into a car dealership at Ford, leave with a Ford and are mad later on that you didn’t get a Toyota, are you going to write it off as saying “well that’s all they had there so it’s not my fault”? I have zero sympathy for him because he wasn’t qualified to be our GM.

I’m not even gonna touch the ROR situation because that was a blunder that rivals what’s going on in Ottawa today. Again that was all his fault.

You're correct. Feaster was fired because he had failed to gain the confidence of his boss. The perception of Feaster wasn't someone who could be trusted to make the right decision. In hockey, no firing can be proven to be the right choice or the wrong choice, because there is no "control" to the analysis, so we just have to take that as it is.

I, at the time, didn't think that firing Feaster was necessary, or helped the organization. I thought, and still thought, that he played a valuable role in transitioning this team from an older one to a younger one. He began doing this subtly when he arrived, insomuch as he could with the hand he was dealt. He made some good signings. He made some good trades. He made some good hirings. He lost two big trades which are types that pretty much everyone loses. But the overall direction the team went under his stewardship was the right one, and when he left, he left a great situation for a new GM to build upon.

I get people like a good pile-on, but what's the point of such disingenuous criticisms? I don't feel bad for Feaster, because he's had a pretty neat career, and he seems to be thriving in his current role as well. But my issue is one of principle. It irks me to read things like this bandied about as if they have merit:

1. Kent Nilsson -> Joe Nieuwendyk->Jarome Iginla-> Morgan Klimchuk

This is not a criticism. Kent Nilsson and Joe Nieuwendyk were traded mid-prime. Jarome Iginla was traded in his twilight years. Now, I doubt Calculon posted that tweet without knowing that, and I doubt Ryan Pike posted that tweet without knowing that and acknowledging it, but this is, believe it or not, something that gets laid at Feaster's feet. Feaster was expected to get the same value for Iginla (purely because of his importance to the city) as previous GMs were able to get for selling All-stars in their primes.

The fact is, we got more out of Jarome than either of those two previous players. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. If we traded Jarome in 2006, then yeah, we would expect to get another HOFer in return.

2. Morgan Klimchuk being traded today has something to do with Feaster.

It does not. If you want to criticize the trade, criticize the trade, but the trade was for a pick and prospects. How those turned out is a separate matter. Don't believe me? If Feaster had traded Jarome Iginla for 8 first round picks, no one would have thought that a bad trade. Even if those were all 2013 picks, though, that could have had the same result. A first and two prospects was the price he got, and he wasn't getting anything better than that.

3. Aging rentals should get high value in a trade if they used to be good players.

Maybe. I'm sure it happens. But give me an example. Don't just say "it was bad value because I say so." Cyrano has it exactly right. The trade value wasn't an issue. it's just a shame to have nothing to show for it.

Mobiandi made the comment earlier how it's funny that the two trades that started our rebuild haven't really factored in the finished product, and that is true. But it's also far from surprising because of how common that is.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Kinda like trading your way from private jets to a paperclip

Not really, they used Kent Nilsson prime then turned it into Joe Niewendyk prime then traded him for Iginla prime then the chain got broken at the end of Iggy's career. I'll do those sequence 10 out of 10 times.

It's too bad they got nothing for Iggy but they already used up 90%+ of Iggy's career. It's like bought a car and drove it for 15 yrs. You are not going to get your full money back lol

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
I don't know anything about him but Klimchuck wasn't going to make the Flames so I'm okay with this as we're short on defense prospects in Stockton. I have faith in Tre. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Nielsen, a Red Deer, Alberta native was drafted by the Maple Leafs in the third round (65th overall) in the 2015 NHL Draft. The 22-year-old has played 152 games in the AHL for the Toronto Marlies scoring 20 goals and adding 50 assists for 70 points and 237 penalty minutes.

BORN: Red Deer, AB DATE: November 13, 1996
HEIGHT: 6'4'' WEIGHT: 218 lbs.
SHOOTS: Left
DRAFTED: TOR - 3rd round (65th overall) in the 2015 NHL Draft
Who knows but I like it. Alberta kid with solid size and some decent D-grit to his game. Heard he is fairly mobile for his size too. Haven't seen much of him since his WHL days and I liked his potential. Not sure T.O. is a "development haven" for most prairie kids, anyways.
Some potential to impress home province team and find his way? Maybe a late bloomer and he is only 22, young for defenders prime potential. Way to go Flames. Klimchuk wasn't going forward for the Flames anyways. I see KRychel steps ahead of where Klimchuk was. Then there is still, Dube, Mangee, Phillips, etc. and the younger guys drafted with potential.
Hope I'm right on this, I see a better future in Nielsen on the Flames than BKulak ever managed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad