Confirmed with Link: Morgan Klimchuck traded for Andrew Nielson

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Actually if I recall correctly, they wanted both, but didn't think that Kucherov would be drafted as high as he was
That's how I remember it too, and they got antsy about Gaudreau which is why they took him in the 4th round instead of waiting until the 5th like they originally planned.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean, things like this are pretty much the definition of vitriol. You're making up facts because of an agenda.

Button referring to the strategy of the scouts:

You were definitely one of the guys with the most amount of sass for me in those days. You were wrong at the time, still wrong today.

Tod Button said:
BUTTON: Oh, geez … when we took Johnny, for sure. If you remember, that year we didn't have a third-round pick. Jay (Feaster) had said we were going to take Johnny or the Tampa guy, (Nikita) Kucherov.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Actually if I recall correctly, they wanted both, but didn't think that Kucherov would be drafted as high as he was

They wanted to use a their 4th rounder on either Kucherov or Gaudreau. They knew Boston wanted Gaudreau, so he wouldn't last until later picks.

Essentially Tampa took Kucherov early. But even if they hadn't we wouldn't of had both. I mean, it's all speculation regardless as we can't change what happened 6 years ago.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
And that wraps up trades that I knew were miserable since day one.

Klimmer while a great dude, wasn’t an NHL talent. These are depth moves to give two kids a new chance to resurrect their career in another organization.

I’ll still remember the Feaster defenders to this day. Lots of vitriol from some folks about me calling the guy a doofus the minute he became GM.

Oh, you weren't the only one extremely disappointed with those returns.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh, you weren't the only one extremely disappointed with those returns.

There was a number of folks who were unhappy.
Water under the bridge though. Wishing that we'd treat trades a bit more evenly. Like, back then it was pure attack mode from some posters if you mentioned that you hated the two trades (I can't believe this was 5 years ago!). Easy reminder we know literally nothing, and are able to have opinions about trades/signings that don't deserve absolute piss and vinegar from our fellow posters.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
There was a number of folks who were unhappy.
Water under the bridge though. Wishing that we'd treat trades a bit more evenly. Like, back then it was pure attack mode from some posters if you mentioned that you hated the two trades (I can't believe this was 5 years ago!). Easy reminder we know literally nothing, and are able to have opinions about trades/signings that don't deserve absolute piss and vinegar from our fellow posters.

Yup, life doesn't always have to be puppydogs & roses on here, sometimes we need the honest truth.
That trade sucked. Then & now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Good luck to Klimchuk. Always seemed like a good guy who just couldn't get things to work out. If I'm not mistaken, there's been a serious problem with his development from day one including a plethora of injuries that threw him off track many times over (think Bennett's start, but worse). (I think I recall at least 1-2 injuries per season for the first few years of his draft year). I have a funny story, where I gave his girlfriend pointers on how to play Pokemon go at Memorial Park once upon a time.

Spiel...

Feaster might have had serious problems while he was here, but it was still a step in the right direction. Same with Sutter. Treliving's mandate has been like a Hartley vs Gully. A perfect medium between the two.

Both Sutter and Feaster were known as guys who would get the short end of the stick in value for trades.

Sutter focused on big good old Canadian boys with good personalities (perhaps as a realization that he missed out on Weber, but also because the scouting team was so small and poor). Sutter at least realized the drafting problem and pushed to expand and improve the scouting department which was like doubled from something ridiculously thin of 2-3 guys to maybe half a dozen guys under him?

Feaster focused on skill, but not personality. Which is why we ran into the Erixon and Baertschi fiascos. Weisbrod might have been an ass who let ego screw things up, but with his help, we did push into scouting NCAA and more. We also drafted a ton of projects under him (ie: Gaudreau, Janko etc.) I think scouting doubled again under him. But development was super rocky under him and most of the guys we nabbed perhaps failed due to the issues we had on the farms. But he did also have issues so bad that ownership stepped in to "Meddle" to make sure stupid things didn't happen.

Burke's drafts were a step in the wrong direction with the guys we drafted... Ignore it. But MAJOR props to him helping Tre to make sure ownership stopped meddling in the basic GM stuff.

Treliving has always drafted BPA (I still argue the first draft under his tenure was a Burke draft...), but a good combo of skill and attitude. Last I checked, we are at 16 scouts and that's with Don Maloney moving up to VP hockey ops too. Treliving has also gone as far as to really revamp the farm system, development tools on the farm (ie: facilities, travel, supper guys like McGrattan, issues with farm playing different systems than the NHL club etc.). So IMO, the future looks bright for guys we draft now vs guys we send to the farm having higher likelihood of failing.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I really don't fault Feaster on the Iginla trade. He really was between a rock and a hard place. I place most of the blame on ownership and Iggy himself.
Ownership wasn't going to attempt to trade Iggy until he asked for it and they really did the trade 2 or 3 seasons too late. Also, Iggy had a NMC in his contract so the final decision was his. Iggy screwed the Flames over when he nixed the Boston trade and said he wanted to go to Pittsburgh. The Pens had Feaster over a barrel.
Chiarelli said he would have sent defenceman Matt Bartkowski and forward Alexander Khokhlachev of AHL Providence, along with a first-round draft pick, to the Flames.

Reactions: Cyrano

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Feaster focused on skill, but not personality. Which is why we ran into the Erixon and Baertschi fiascos.
I agree with most of what you wrote but:
Erixon was drafted by Sutter and Feaster actually salvaged the situation pretty well by trading him to the Rangers for Horak and two 2nd rounders.
Not much wrong with the Sven pick either if you ask me.

Reactions: Fig and tmurfin

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Honestly the return at the time for Iginla didn't seem bad. A 1st in a draft that by all accounts was supposed to be very strong, a B prospect in Hanowski, and a guy that looked like an excellent bet to be an NHL forward in Agostino, for an aging forward whose best hockey was behind him and whose contract was running out. But nonetheless, if you'd told me at the time that none of the pieces we got would end up panning out, I'd have been surprised. Just a pretty unlucky hand we pulled there.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Feaster could've handled the Iginla trade way better, without a doubt. The biggest blame for the return actually goes to Iginla himself for handcuffing the team with his list, when it would appear he actually had his sights set on only 1 team all along. I don't blame him for it and he earned the right to decide where he went. If we want to talk about reasons for a lackluster return though, Iginla is reason #1.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly the return at the time for Iginla didn't seem bad. A 1st in a draft that by all accounts was supposed to be very strong, a B prospect in Hanowski, and a guy that looked like an excellent bet to be an NHL forward in Agostino, for an aging forward whose best hockey was behind him and whose contract was running out. But nonetheless, if you'd told me at the time that none of the pieces we got would end up panning out, I'd have been surprised. Just a pretty unlucky hand we pulled there.

Hanowski and Agostino were like the 13th and 17th ranked Pittsburgh prospects at the time, both were older guys too. It would have been significantly better if they had just targeted A prospects, versus C level prospects and late firsts.
It's essentially if we were in a top position this deadline, and we traded: Kirby Rychel and Linus Lidstrom, and our 27+ first rounder for Joe Pavelski.

I understand that Iggy handcuffed Calgary, in terms of where he wanted to go. That Bouwmeester trade is still underrated horrible.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Feaster could've handled the Iginla trade way better, without a doubt. The biggest blame for the return actually goes to Iginla himself for handcuffing the team with his list, when it would appear he actually had his sights set on only 1 team all along. I don't blame him for it and he earned the right to decide where he went. If we want to talk about reasons for a lackluster return though, Iginla is reason #1.

I mean, is that also a failure on the part of the GM?
I understand loyalty and getting your franchise player to the place he wants to go, but, this is a cut throat business. I thought Jarome had a 4 team trade list? As a GM, it's your job to ask for that list, get a hold of those general managers and get the best deal for your team. It's kind of where Feaster failed.

My big thing about my hate for him as GM (he seemed like a good dude, so I have no ill-will against him personally or for his family), was the fact he continuously was looking for sleepers rather than just making the straight forward pick/move. Know what I mean? You don't need to take a project in the first round. You don't need to trade a future HOF'er and a top pairing D (at the time), who also had term left, for a couple firsts and a bunch of projects, what-ifs and AHL depth.

If you're going to make you gamble, gamble after the first round of the draft, and gamble on 'change of scenery' type trades.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I mean, is that also a failure on the part of the GM?
I understand loyalty and getting your franchise player to the place he wants to go, but, this is a cut throat business. I thought Jarome had a 4 team trade list? As a GM, it's your job to ask for that list, get a hold of those general managers and get the best deal for your team. It's kind of where Feaster failed.

But that's exactly what Feaster did. Both Boston and Pittsburgh were on his list. Chicago and LA apparently weren't interested or made significantly worse offers. Could Feaster have negotiated better? Maybe, it's hard to know.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That Boston offering isn't any better.

At the time it was imo. Khoklachev and Bartowski were better players/prospects than Agostino and Hanowski.

Iggy would have had another SCF appearance which would have been a bonus and then heartbreaking at the same time. Him getting so misused by Byslma in Pittsburgh is still one of the most infuriating things I've ever had to watch as a Flames fan.

Both Malkin and Crosby had RW's that were struggling at times, but lets play a career RW all star at a position he's never played and staple him to the third line at times.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There were still two or three days until the actual deadline when the trade went down. A competent manager would have assessed the situation, backed off, and used the leverage they had (i.e. time, the player) to make sure the deal was as good as possible.

Instead, Feaster and Murray panicked and just pulled the trigger on whatever they were being offered. They were too focused on getting a first rounder over getting the most value back.

But the Bouwmeester trade was orders of magnitude worse. A top pairing defenceman with a year left on his contract traded for a conditional first and two D level prospects. Just horrendous. That one hurt a lot more; at least with Iginla you could spin it as doing right by the former face of the franchise (like how the let Kiprusoff decide if wanted to be traded to Toronto or not). There's no justification for how the Bouwmeester trade went down.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At the time it was imo. Khoklachev and Bartowski were better players/prospects than Agostino and Hanowski.

So bartowski could have been a flames earlier. Feaster did a good job avoiding that deal then lol

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Kinda funny how we have nothing to show for the two deals that supposedly kicked off the rebuild. How funny is it that Morgan Klimchuk managed to fetch a Dman that is probably better than the one we got for Bouwmeester?

The late 1st rounders in 2014 were so much better than in 2013. If the Blues missed the playoffs in 2013, we could have ended up with Fabbri, Kapanen, Pastrnak, or Ho-Sang instead of Poirier. Then again, it was a Burke draft so we would have likely taken some plug. We also could have had Tatahhh and Nyquist if Feaster wasn't so fixated on getting a magic bean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad