Confirmed with Link: Morgan Klimchuck traded for Andrew Nielson

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I guess a lot of the kids are up on the Flames so defense is kinda weak on the heat. Not sure I like the trade though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't know anything about him but Klimchuck wasn't going to make the Flames so I'm okay with this as we're short on defense prospects in Stockton. I have faith in Tre. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Nielsen, a Red Deer, Alberta native was drafted by the Maple Leafs in the third round (65th overall) in the 2015 NHL Draft. The 22-year-old has played 152 games in the AHL for the Toronto Marlies scoring 20 goals and adding 50 assists for 70 points and 237 penalty minutes.

BORN: Red Deer, AB DATE: November 13, 1996
HEIGHT: 6'4'' WEIGHT: 218 lbs.
SHOOTS: Left
DRAFTED: TOR - 3rd round (65th overall) in the 2015 NHL Draft

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kind of disappointed they wouldn't give Klimchuk a chance with the big team. I could see Babcock falling in love with him.

But not surprising they acquired a defenseman given the lack of depth there. Wait, this must mean Brodie's getting traded :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m really sad Morgan didn’t work out here. But let’s be honest, he was never gonna get a spot on the Flames. Good thing we still have Rychel and Lazar.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’m really sad Morgan didn’t work out here. But let’s be honest, he was never gonna get a spot on the Flames. Good thing we still have Rychel and Lazar.

Yeah, it's sad when Lazar looks like Johnny compared to him ...

Klimchuk is so far down the depth chart, he is going to be waiver material anyway.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

sep-2001-jay-feaster-of-the-tampa-bay-lightning-poses-for-a-portrait-picture-id609465

World's Putziest Putz

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Barf.

Klimchuk might still find a job as a bottom six tweener. More likely carve out a career in Europe.

Here's what we're getting according to Elite Prospects (from 2015)

A brutish, big-bodied defenseman that has the size, willingness to give up the body, and physical maturity to make a difference on the ice. Establishes an imposing presence when bearing down on opposing players; does not allow any time or space, and can cause turnovers easily. Has a good eye and is able to make crisp, accurate passes to teammates; also possesses a hard shot. While his skating could be improved, he isn't immobile and can get around the ice post haste. All-in-all, a physical two-way defender who establishes pressure on the opposition and can also provide offensive support. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Nielsen impressed as a 20 year old in the AHL in the 16/17 season, putting up 39 points in 74 games.

It's been downhill for him since then, though, as he lacks mobility and struggles with positioning and decision making. He was a healthy scratch in all but 8 playoff games when the Marlies won the Calder Cup last season.

A deep Marlies defense recently got even deeper as 2018 first rounder Rasmus Sandin returned from injury, and joined the Marlies a few weeks ago. The writing was on the wall, as three LD were ahead of him on the Marlies depth chart: Rosen, Sandin, and Borgman.

Nielsen's only 22, so there's still a chance he amounts to something, but it wasn't going to happen in Toronto.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Oh well. Hopefully Klimchuk can make it on Toronto's roster. Long shot, but I hope he can.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Not a bad move for Stockton, Nielsen is better than Valiyev and will probably be their #2 LD once Kylington is sent back down.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And that wraps up trades that I knew were miserable since day one.

Klimmer while a great dude, wasn’t an NHL talent. These are depth moves to give two kids a new chance to resurrect their career in another organization.

I’ll still remember the Feaster defenders to this day. Lots of vitriol from some folks about me calling the guy a doofus the minute he became GM.

Reactions: TychoFan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Klimmer while a great dude, wasn’t an NHL talent. These are depth moves to give two kids a new chance to resurrect their career in another organization.

I’ll still remember the Feaster defenders to this day. Lots of vitriol from some folks about me calling the guy a doofus the minute he became GM.

That’s a very intellectually honest thing of you to say.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The scouts wanted Kucherov and Gaudreau. Feaster was only going to give them one.
Unless you were there at the table you don't know that. But even if what you say is true, he did choose one. He didn't have to. Feaster chose the best hockey player that this club has drafted in decades. In fact you have to go go back all the way to 1987 to find his equal... Theo Fleury. Even though you don't like the guy you can't take the JG draft away from his list of accomplishments. He also, IMO, left the club in better shape than he found it.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The scouts wanted Kucherov and Gaudreau. Feaster was only going to give them one.

I mean, things like this are pretty much the definition of vitriol. You're making up facts because of an agenda.

Button referring to the strategy of the scouts:

“I said to Jay, ‘I’d like the latitude of not putting them on the list. Then when it’s time to make the call, let me make the call,’ ” recalls Button.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->