Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Barron has the it factor. Heavy, dangerous shot. High hockey IQ. Defensively rock solid. Skates well for a big man. Can play in all the dirty areas. Passing skills are fine. Does nothing great but everything well and uses his size to his advantage. He pretty much has the perfect role player package for both the regular season and the playoffs.

Do we think he's a center or a lefty?

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Hajek's advanced metrics have been absolutely abysmal this season. I mean I feel like he's been okay, but for instance his CF rel is -10.32 which is just ghastly. Staal's, by the way, is like -1.17.
More often than not we are caved in our zone when he and Smith are out there. He doesn't look terrible, but I am feeling more confident that someone like Robertson or Jones will take him over for that spot.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I've been saying for what feels like years that Lemieux isn't that effective at what he supposedly brings, which is an agitating play style where he also roughs it up and chips in some dirty goals. He too often ends up chasing the play because he's focused on agitating, and he seems to spend a lot of time splayed on the ice. I appreciate his hustle and commitment to blocking shots, absorbing punishment, sticking up for teammates, all that, but in general his agitation doesn't ever really seem to give us a boost or turn the tides, and the reality is his skill looks like it has almost regressed. I was very happy when we acquired him, but I haven't been pleased with his overall progress. I'm okay exposing him at this point as I doubt he'd be picked, and I wouldn't mind if he was. He's very replaceable.

Tom Wilson he is not, to circle back to those debates of a couple seasons ago. :laugh:

I agree. I feel the same way about his game. I was hoping we would see more of the flashes of speed and offensive zone play we saw at times last season and early on this year. He hasnt been consistent and I think you are right, his priorities are a little off.

He can provide all of that extra stuff on top of giving the team something tangible as an effective forward. We have seen it. He hasnt disrupted the opposition's defense enough and again, his timing with all of the antics and taking penalties is becoming a little annoying. I dont mind mixing it up or even taking the occasional bad penalty to send a message but there doesnt seem to be a rhyme or reason to it for quite some time now.

For a guy who gets 9-11 minutes a night he should be providing more energy. He has the skating ability and the tools to do it. Too many nights he is quiet or showing up for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Hajek's advanced metrics have been absolutely abysmal this season. I mean I feel like he's been okay, but for instance his CF rel is -10.32 which is just ghastly. Staal's, by the way, is like -1.17.
Don't care. Playing with Smith is just an unfair assignment for a kid.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't care. Playing with Smith is just an unfair assignment for a kid.
I don't care that you don't care. :laugh:

He's just thoroughly mediocre and with the players we have coming on both sides he has no future here. If someone wants him, I have no problem giving him up.

What do you think his value is as a player independent of this organization, and what do you think his value is to this organization?

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

He's just thoroughly mediocre and with the players we have coming on both sides he has no future here. If someone wants him, I have no problem giving him up.

What do you think his value is as a player independent of this organization, and what do you think his value is to this organization?
Hajek will probably be here next year while Robertson gets slowly inserted into the team. No way this team starts a third pair of just rookies next year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hajek will probably be here next year while Robertson gets slowly inserted into the team. No way this team starts a third pair of just rookies next year.
That's totally fine, I don't hate Hajek or anything, I just think he's not very good. He's a pretty good skater who tries to play a simple game, but otherwise nothing stands out in a good way about him. If he's your #6 going into next season until one of the 8375 guys we have beats him out, I'm okay with that. Though I'm also okay if they wanted to move him and sign some veteran for cheap (hopefully better than Johnson).

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021

I think based on his current play, he would be a major pickup to a team like the Devils or the Sabres, or other teams weak on the left side. The fact that you used metrics as your only argument (anecdotes of Czech benchings and play from previous years mean nothing), tells me you are not watching what he is doing with a very difficult assignment. I would trade him for the right deal as well but it would be stupid to give him away.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think based on his current play, he would be a major pickup to a team like the Devils or the Sabres, or other teams weak on the left side. The fact that you used metrics as your only argument (anecdotes of Czech benchings and play from previous years mean nothing), tells me you are not watching what he is doing with a very difficult assignment. I would trade him for the right deal as well but it would be stupid to give him away.
So the metrics, his poor play in the AHL and NHL last year, and his poor play in the Czech League this year all mean nothing because...he's playing with Smith? Okay, that's fine. As I've said in other posts I don't see anything particularly noteworthy that he does, and this is coming from someone who watched him in junior and the AHL before this year. In junior he was a smart, positionally sound defenseman who had a physical element to his game, kept things simple, made solid, crisp passes, and just generally seemed like a heady player. I don't really see much of that now, like I didn't see much of that last year, regardless of the level he was playing at or who his partner was. He looks to me like one of those guys who peaks at a junior player.

I don't really feel like devoting any more of my keystrokes to this short timer, though.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad