Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The new Brian Boyle!

Barron is getting a lot of love since some around here hounded on him lol. Good to see.

Personally, i see Edstrom as the Rangers future Brian Boyle.

I see Barron somewhere between a Nemchinov and Bobby Holik. Really like the kid.

On a team with a Laf and Kappo i can see Barron maximizing his potential as the two lottery picks will likely make everybody statistically better.

Could be exciting.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Barron is getting a lot of love since some around here hounded on him lol. Good to see.

Personally, i see Edstrom as the Rangers future Brian Boyle.

I see Barron somewhere between a Nemchinov and Bobby Holik. Really like the kid.

On a team with a Laf and Kappo i can see Barron maximizing his potential as the two lottery picks will likely make everybody statistically better.

Could be exciting.
Edstrom described himself as a mix between the Boyler and Josh Anderson.

The Rangers would be lucky if one of these two six rounders actually make it. There is a tendency to over hype prospects. That said, there is no doubt if there was a draft redo Barron would go much higher than the 6th round; probably 2nd round. Edstrom - not so much.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Barron has the it factor. Heavy, dangerous shot. High hockey IQ. Defensively rock solid. Skates well for a big man. Can play in all the dirty areas. Passing skills are fine. Does nothing great but everything well and uses his size to his advantage. He pretty much has the perfect role player package for both the regular season and the playoffs.

Reactions: McSauer

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Edstrom described himself as a mix between the Boyler and Josh Anderson.

The Rangers would be lucky if one of these two six rounders actually make it. There is a tendency to over hype prospects. That said, there is no doubt if there was a draft redo Barron would go much higher than the 6th round; probably 2nd round. Edstrom - not so much.

yes, many, many prospects are overhyped. Personally, i think more than enough besides these two have been inflated.

I’ve mention previously about watching the prospects in Stamford last year. Barron i’ve praised b/c he’s a physical man among kids.

Edstrom is not only a towering drink of water on blades but can move well. Straight ahead and COD was pretty good.

On the flip side, and time does determine development or not, Miller could take 3 strides and make up a ton of ground yet his COD was iffy i thought.

Kraskov’s headlines were heavier than his weight.

Quite a few Ciccolini types who hustle and skate hard but we’ll see

I like Wall in net while i believe Huska is just big.

Robertson is a big kid and might turn out to be a Beukeboom light.

Lundkvist looked like a Fox clone yet Fox was older and physically more mature. They play alike though

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Lemieux's kind of game but he does need to get a bit smarter. He too often forces plays that aren't there and too often ends up on his can or back helplessly watching the other team counterattack in the opposite direction. That hit on Donskoi at the end of the year was stupid as hell too. So my advice to him would be less puck carrying over blue lines and more soft shoot ins and hard forechecks--let the linemates do the fancy shit as much as possible while he gets in the goalie's face and hopes for rebounds and deflections. Stay away from the high hits.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Hopefully will take Howden’s place after he’s traded at the deadline. 7 goals in 11 games for a struggling AHL team is pretty legit and you would think enough to warrant a looksie at some point

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lemieux needs to get his act together too. He had a good start but he isnt as noticeable on the forecheck now and has a bad habit of taking very untimely penalties.
I've been saying for what feels like years that Lemieux isn't that effective at what he supposedly brings, which is an agitating play style where he also roughs it up and chips in some dirty goals. He too often ends up chasing the play because he's focused on agitating, and he seems to spend a lot of time splayed on the ice. I appreciate his hustle and commitment to blocking shots, absorbing punishment, sticking up for teammates, all that, but in general his agitation doesn't ever really seem to give us a boost or turn the tides, and the reality is his skill looks like it has almost regressed. I was very happy when we acquired him, but I haven't been pleased with his overall progress. I'm okay exposing him at this point as I doubt he'd be picked, and I wouldn't mind if he was. He's very replaceable.

Tom Wilson he is not, to circle back to those debates of a couple seasons ago. :laugh:

Reactions: TheBPA

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Would love to see Barron up at some point this season. Those are good numbers
He does have good numbers, but I think can also marinate in Hartford for longer. There is just not a screaming need for him right now. I would rather he got major minutes this year. Next year, I imagine he comes into camp looking to win a spot.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad