Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Great news! Gonna be 22 by the time the 2021 season starts (hopefully). 6'4'' 220. Would be great if he can solidify a bottom 6 center role for us.

lol, let’s hope he’s not 23 before we get back to a hockey Regular season.

Honestly, when will we get back to packed indoor arenas along with a travel schedule including overnights in multiple cities?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Excited to see him as a pro next season. I don't think another year in college would've hurt him at all but with the way things are going I think he made the right move.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
do the Rangers trade up or use a 1st to select his brother. they either got the Canes or Leafs 1st round pick and they have their own??

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would love for the team to take his brother in the second round. He may not pan out, but if he does he could be a good player

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Barron doesn't have the leverage that the others you mentioned did.

this is obvious and should go without saying

however

less than a year difference. With all the uncertainty he could have waited it out. This contract has been out there for going on 2 years now. Was getting into crunch time

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
yep,
i am not a prospect expert talent evaluator (just an attentive follower)
but i place him a bit behind those guys, a bit less ready; in a group with Elmer, Newell, Ronning and (if back) Gropp, the onus on them raise the team's opinion of them
... and with Paju and Karl H coming soon,hopefully friendly competition brings out all their best

Don't think he is behind Fontaine and about same level as Richards.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think Barron will start in the NHL my opinion it’s part of this deal. Same as Vesey and Hayes. Officially they had to make the team unofficially they were promised roster spots. Fox probably was too although we all know he earned it and more

not saying it’s necessarily the right move but with question marks about the AHL and his desire to stay In school we may have had to agree to some things. They’ve been trying for a while now to get this done

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

however

less than a year difference. With all the uncertainty he could have waited it out. This contract has been out there for going on 2 years now. Was getting into crunch time

there isn't going to be a college season. his option were to sign and play in the AHL or sit at home doing nothing. and people thought he might leave school last summer and it was expected he would leave after one more year. he had no leverage. he wasn't going to sit out a year

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Excellent signing. This is another player who IMO will send Lemieux packing if he doesn't improve his hockey IQ a lot very soon. You can't be a idiot like Lemieux is and constantly put your team down a man when you are a role player. You need to play top flight defense and don't take penalties. Something Lemieux consistently doesn't do.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

however

The roaring success MLB is having wont change your mind ha

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I kinda have high hopes for this kid but is he going to get rushed into playing some kind of role on this team if he isn't ready much like every other rookie, Hajek, LA, Kravs?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Excellent signing. This is another player who IMO will send Lemieux packing if he doesn't improve his hockey IQ a lot very soon. You can't be a idiot like Lemieux is and constantly put your team down a man when you are a role player. You need to play top flight defense and don't take penalties. Something Lemieux consistently doesn't do.

Put Lemieux on a winning team with a "defined" role and he'll be good to go...

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Lemieux is totally cool, as long as we look at him as a (for the love of god what was his name ... got it) Derek Dorsett-type player and not a Callahan-type player.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Not an accurate comment about Lemieux and penalties. I believe he is among the league leaders in drawing penalties per minutes played and actually has a net positive drawn vs. taken. Lemieux is a good prospect - will likely take less penalties as he matures and there may be some offense there to be had. Time will tell.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not an accurate comment about Lemieux and penalties. I believe he is among the league leaders in drawing penalties per minutes played and actually has a net positive drawn vs. taken. Lemieux is a good prospect - will likely take less penalties as he matures and there may be some offense there to be had. Time will tell.
I'm curious how much development you think he has left, given that he'll be 25 mid-next season and has four professional seasons under his belt.

Reactions: charliemurphy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lemieux needs to be given a defined role and also needs to focus a little more on hockey rather than the extra BS.

I don't want him to stop trolling the opponent completely, but he needs to pick his spots better. There is more than enough of a skill set there for him to be a valuable player in a bottom 6 role.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
I'm curious how much development you think he has left, given that he'll be 25 mid-next season and has four professional seasons under his belt.
Fair point. Don't see him as more than a gritty bottom six winger.

That said - he's rated by Evolving Hockey as the Rangers 2nd best defensive forward. He's among the best in the league at drawing penalties. He adds an element of physicality which the Rangers need more of, not less. He's a good skater. He did score 12 goals in his one full season. So there is something there to build on.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Fair point. Don't see him as more than a gritty bottom six winger.
That said - he's rated by Evolving Hockey as the Rangers 2nd best defensive forward. He's among the best in the league at drawing penalties. He adds an element of physicality which the Rangers need more of, not less. He's a good skater. He did score 12 goals in his one full season. So there is something there to build on.

and Lemieux can be effective in front of opponent's goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad