Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think there is some recency bias here. Sure he made a boneheaded play and was suspended for it. But that was more often the exception and not the rule.

He's the kind of player we have been longing for for years. And now that he's here, you gotta take the mostly good with the occasional bad.
There may be, but not with me. I'm sure I could go back to around mid-season which is when I started saying I didn't think he was that good of a player and that he chased the play far too much. I don't even remember the hit that got him suspended, honestly, and with guys like him I think you kind of resign yourself to the idea that it may happen from time to time.

I like the idea of Brendan Lemieux, but Brendan Lemieux in execution is less appealing to me. He could be a lot more effective at what he does, I think.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You're really underselling BL.

He can be a top 3rd liner (and play on the other two top lines for spells). Your opinion of him is being skewed by his most suspension. He is an amazingly important part of this team. And I don't think his IQ (hockey or otherwise) is bad.

But you're saying that any one of three guys can do what BL does. And that's not true. Howden has never shown the ability to play the way BL. The other two haven't even played in the NHL yet.
This is what I'm talking about. He COULD be a good third line player and very valuable, but instead he spend half of his TOI chasing guys around and falling on his ass. If he could focus more on playing hockey and learn pick and choose his spots to be a pest, he'd be a better player and I'd like him more. Instead he's like Avery would get sometimes where he'd want to exclusively be a pest and didn't contribute in other ways when we all knew he could be a pretty damn good player.

Also as the season wore on it seemed like refs got tired of his act and stopped calling penalties he rightfully drew. That may be unfair but it's a reality of things nowadays, and he needs to adjust. Like I said: play hockey, be physical, pick your spots to agitate. If he can do that he'll be great. Instead I think he does it the other way around (agitate, be physical, play hockey).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron Morgan Barron

Reactions: cwede

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Lemieux was a bitter disappointment this year. He showed NO 3rd lin line ability and he p!ssed off pretty much every ref in the league where he became a penalty liability. Rangers probably give him a half of year to figure it out then he's history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kovalev27

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think Barron will start in the NHL my opinion it’s part of this deal. Same as Vesey and Hayes. Officially they had to make the team unofficially they were promised roster spots. Fox probably was too although we all know he earned it and more

not saying it’s necessarily the right move but with question marks about the AHL and his desire to stay In school we may have had to agree to some things. They’ve been trying for a while now to get this done

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think Barron will start in the NHL my opinion it’s part of this deal. Same as Vesey and Hayes. Officially they had to make the team unofficially they were promised roster spots. Fox probably was too although we all know he earned it and more

not saying it’s necessarily the right move but with question marks about the AHL and his desire to stay In school we may have had to agree to some things. They’ve been trying for a while now to get this done
Barron doesn't have the leverage that the others you mentioned did.

Reactions: Leetch3

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Great news! Gonna be 22 by the time the 2021 season starts (hopefully). 6'4'' 220. Would be great if he can solidify a bottom 6 center role for us.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
While he wasn't as high a pick as Hayes I'd say he had a better first 3 years of NCAA hockey than Hayes.

That is pretty crazy and without Goudreau and others. How does his skill compare to Hayes? I am guessing he is more physical than Hayes? Which of our scouts discovered Barron?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Glad this is settled, and he may make it full time to NHL before end of '20-21,

I expect Barron to easily make the big club...

but i expect he does time in AHL (... if they play ...)
In recent memory, IIRC, Stepan was only college F with less than 4 full NCAA seasons to make the jump, to NHL, w/o AHL time.
Even a guy like Hagelin, who had a really strong Sr season, put in some months in Hartford. They actually very comparable per game stats in final seasons.
Barron as a Junior
2019-20 Cornell ECAC 29 14 18 32 24 17
Hagelin as a Senior
2010-11 Michigan CCHA 44 18 31 49 39

Cap will factor, if NYR find a way to re-sign Fast, Lemieux, Strome, ADA, guys on ELC who can play will be even more valuable.
If Barron can play C, and it allows NYR to give Howden some AHL all-situation minutes for some months, I'd be pleased (but coach Quinn doesn't listen to me)
Role will also play into it.

But at the moment, having Barron, Kravtsov, Gettinger, Richards, Khdorenko, maybe Fontaine, in the queue may be the strongest young pro F pipeline NYR have had in a long time

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

IDK. He doesn't have quite the same leverage yet. I think it's more to do with his college season likely not happening and the AHL announcing that they have at least tentative plans to start in early-December. I have no doubt the Rangers told him he'd be given a very serious look and that the team has a need for someone like him, but I would doubt it went any further than that.

Who knows.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t know if they told him he’ll have an NHL spot next year, but they clearly believe he can play at the NHL level

They were hoping to get him signed to play in this postseason

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Glad this is settled, and he may make it full time to NHL before end of '20-21,

but i expect he does time in AHL (... if they play ...)
In recent memory, IIRC, Stepan was only college F with less than 4 full NCAA seasons to make the jump, to NHL, w/o AHL time.
Even a guy like Hagelin, who had a really strong Sr season, put in some months in Hartford. They actually very comparable per game stats in final seasons.
Barron as a Junior
2019-20 Cornell ECAC 29 14 18 32 24 17
Hagelin as a Senior
2010-11 Michigan CCHA 44 18 31 49 39

Cap will factor, if NYR find a way to re-sign Fast, Lemieux, Strome, ADA, guys on ELC who can play will be even more valuable.
If Barron can play C, and it allows NYR to give Howden some AHL all-situation minutes for some months, I'd be pleased (but coach Quinn doesn't listen to me)
Role will also play into it.

But at the moment, having Barron, Kravtsov, Gettinger, Richards, Khdorenko, maybe Fontaine, in the queue may be the strongest young pro F pipeline NYR have had in a long time

Don't forget the 6'7" Austin Rueschhoff

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Don't forget the 6'7" Austin Rueschhoff
yep,
i am not a prospect expert talent evaluator (just an attentive follower)
but i place him a bit behind those guys, a bit less ready; in a group with Elmer, Newell, Ronning and (if back) Gropp, the onus on them raise the team's opinion of them
... and with Paju and Karl H coming soon,hopefully friendly competition brings out all their best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad