More salary cap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Two areas I'm trying to make sure I understand completely (I'm working on a spreadsheet trying to calculate each team's cap count):

1. If a player is called up from the minors on an emergency recall, I'm assuming his salary counts toward the cap for the days he's called up - even though it's an emergency recall. Correct?

2. When a player is waived, at what point does his salary NOT count against the cap? When he's waived? When he's assigned or claimed? ???

RTWAP*

It sure would be nice to actually be able to delve throught the CBA and figure these out for sure.

My guesses ( :dunno: ) would be:

1) Correct

2) When he is waived.

Reasoning - He can't play from that point forward so he shouldn't count.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Irish Blues said:
Two areas I'm trying to make sure I understand completely (I'm working on a spreadsheet trying to calculate each team's cap count):

1. If a player is called up from the minors on an emergency recall, I'm assuming his salary counts toward the cap for the days he's called up - even though it's an emergency recall. Correct?

2. When a player is waived, at what point does his salary NOT count against the cap? When he's waived? When he's assigned or claimed? ???

Again we can't be 100% certain untill we see the CBA - release the whole CBA dammit - but my best guess speculation:

1. Correct. If the player is on an active NHL Roster, emergency recall or not, he counts against the cap.

2. This is just speculation, but I beleive that he would count against the cap until he clears waivers - 24 hrs after being waived - or is claimed. A team cannot assign a player to the minors or remove him from the active roster untill he has cleared waivers, so my bet is that the team is responsible for his salary during the 24 hr waiver window, since he is technically still on the roster.

From the old CBA:
ARTICLE 13
Waivers and Loans of Players to Minor League Clubs; Waiver Draft

13.1. A Club shall not dispose of the services of any player in which it has a proprietary interest by loan to a Club of another league without first having complied with the provisions of this Article. The only form of waivers that are recognized by this Agreement are non-recallable waivers.

13.3. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a player may be loaned to a Club of another league upon fulfillment of any of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

a. that waivers for that purpose have been requested and cleared under this Article, ...

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So when Marchant was waived the first time and cleared, would he have still counted against Columbus once he cleared or did he count until when Anaheim claimed him?

And yet another question I need opinions on....

Player A is on the active roster, Players B and C are in the minors. On the 15th, A is demoted and B is promoted; on the 18th, B is placed on IR with a long-term injury and Player C is promoted. On the 22nd Player C is traded and Player A is promoted.

Whose salary counts on the 15th and on the 18th? Is B counted for 3 days while he's up before going on IR, or for 4? And does Player C count for his previous team on the 22nd or for his new team?

FINAL ADD: I'm also guessing that if a player is suspended, his salary doesn't count against the team - otherwise by my calculations (which I'm still trying to get completely correct salary information for every player) Atlanta is over the cap by about $170,000 but if I take Sutton and Boulton off for the amount of time they were suspended, the Thrashers are *just* under the cap right now.

Last edited:

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Irish Blues said:
So when Marchant was waived the first time and cleared, would he have still counted against Columbus once he cleared or did he count until when Anaheim claimed him?
I believe that once he cleared waivers his salary no longer counted against the cap.

Irish Blues said:
Player A is on the active roster, Players B and C are in the minors. On the 15th, A is demoted and B is promoted; on the 18th, B is placed on IR with a long-term injury and Player C is promoted. On the 22nd Player C is traded and Player A is promoted.

Whose salary counts on the 15th and on the 18th? Is B counted for 3 days while he's up before going on IR, or for 4? And does Player C count for his previous team on the 22nd or for his new team?
Player A's salary counts against the cap until he is officially designated to the minors.
Player B's salary counts against the cap as soon as he is called up. Even after he is put on the IR his salary still counts against the cap.
Player C's salary counts against the cap as soon as he is called up.......unless his salary would put the team over the cap. Then the amount that is in excess of the cap would be exempt.

Irish Blues said:
FINAL ADD: I'm also guessing that if a player is suspended, his salary doesn't count against the team - otherwise by my calculations (which I'm still trying to get completely correct salary information for every player) Atlanta is over the cap by about $170,000 but if I take Sutton and Boulton off for the amount of time they were suspended, the Thrashers are *just* under the cap right now.
I am not 100% on this. But I can see no reason why a player's salary would be exempt when he is suspended. A suspension is a punishment to a player and his team. Making his salary exempt does not sound like something you would do for someone you are punishing. Are your calculations taking injured players salaries into account?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Spongebob said:
I am not 100% on this. But I can see no reason why a player's salary would be exempt when he is suspended. A suspension is a punishment to a player and his team. Making his salary exempt does not sound like something you would do for someone you are punishing. Are your calculations taking injured players salaries into account?
Oh yes, I'm taking injuries into account - that's not a problem. It's the other little stuff I'm trying to get settled. Part of my problem may be how I'm handling the salaries of injured players - but that's the least of my concerns. That's easily fixable once I get the other stuff figured out.

And if Marchant was off the Columbus books once he cleared waivers the first time, then what effect would placing him on waivers the 2nd time have other than giving teams a chance to pick him up for nothing? Personally, I thought once he cleared the first time you couldn't just stick him back on waivers.

My spreadsheet is far from perfect, but it's at least a somewhat decent guess - if the league and the union ever release the CBA I can probably get it very close. If I can get exact cap numbers on all the players, it would help even more.

RTWAP*

I agree with Spongebob about suspended players. I vaguely remember (sorry no link) that there was talk of this when they were discussing whether Bertuzzi would have another 15 or 20 games this year. The point being it would hurt the club on the ice and WRT the cap.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Irish Blues said:
And if Marchant was off the Columbus books once he cleared waivers the first time, then what effect would placing him on waivers the 2nd time have other than giving teams a chance to pick him up for nothing? Personally, I thought once he cleared the first time you couldn't just stick him back on waivers.
The reason they put him back on waivers is because even though he cleared waivers the first time (therefore taking his salary off the cap figure) the Blue Jackets were still responsible for his paying his entire salary. So this only left the team a few options. Assign him to the minors (and pay him $2.47 million as an AHL player), recall him to the NHL, or put him on waivers again in hopes that a team would reconsider claiming him.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Can we get a copy of your spreadsheet? I would love too see where all the team stand!

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
psychonaut said:
Can we get a copy of your spreadsheet? I would love too see where all the team stand!
I'll *try* to post it on my website in the next 2 weeks - it's not completely accurate yet, I'm still trying to make sure I have all the player transactions entered and I'm trying to get each player's salary cap number reconciled correctly. (Example: I have Belfour at $4.5 million, THN had him at something like $6.3 million; I have Sundin at $6.8M, THN at $6.4M; Crosby and Ovechkin at $850K for me, $3.4M for THN). I have about 1/3rd of the players I need to reconcile - once I can get most of these done, I'll make a post with the details.

Last edited:

RTWAP*

The TSN numbers are very inconsistent. They have the actual salary (for that year) instead of the cap salary (average over the contract) for a fair number of players.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
RalfTheWiseNPowerful said:
The TSN numbers are very inconsistent. They have the actual salary (for that year) instead of the cap salary (average over the contract) for a fair number of players.
Sorry - everythng in my above post should reference "The Hockey News" (THN). I know TSN's numbers are for base salary for this season only, they don't include bonuses or other stuff - and even some of those are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->