more random thoughts

jessejames

Sep 1, 2009
Carberry, MB, Canada
Saw a short bit on the alumni game. There was Paul Cavallini -- someone I think is under-rated as a Blues' defenseman in a historical way. Plus 38 one year and never a minus player.

Cool to see Unger and Berenson.

People speak of Brett Hull having done so much for hockey in St. Louis, and rightfully so, yet I don't think he could have done in that regard as much as Berenson did. With he and Barclay Plager coming to the Blues in November of '67, the team's fortunes changed so drastically. You have to wonder if the Blues could have gone the way of the Oakland/California Seals if there had been no Red Berenson in a Blue Note.

As for the guy he was replaced by, well. I remember when once Dan Kelly interviewed Unger post-game and Unger was as sick as could be, with fever of 102 or so, yet had scored two goals in the third period to tie the game. I was maybe 11 or 12 years of age and was flabbergasted that he could persevere like that. Still Unger wanted to deflect the attention to other players. If you were a kid in the early 1970s, Garry Unger was somebody to look up to. And he had the groovy long hair. Too bad the organization was such a mess for much of his stay, with trade after trade after trade that rarely made sense.

Back to today and tomorrow. I hope that the Blues stay quiet or relatively so at the trade deadline. This is a deep team, really deep. I want the team to hold on to their draft picks and not upset the club's chemistry.

Bye for now

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Saw a short bit on the alumni game. There was Paul Cavallini -- someone I think is under-rated as a Blues' defenseman in a historical way. Plus 38 one year and never a minus player.

Cool to see Unger and Berenson.

People speak of Brett Hull having done so much for hockey in St. Louis, and rightfully so, yet I don't think he could have done in that regard as much as Berenson did. With he and Barclay Plager coming to the Blues in November of '67, the team's fortunes changed so drastically. You have to wonder if the Blues could have gone the way of the Oakland/California Seals if there had been no Red Berenson in a Blue Note.

As for the guy he was replaced by, well. I remember when once Dan Kelly interviewed Unger post-game and Unger was as sick as could be, with fever of 102 or so, yet had scored two goals in the third period to tie the game. I was maybe 11 or 12 years of age and was flabbergasted that he could persevere like that. Still Unger wanted to deflect the attention to other players. If you were a kid in the early 1970s, Garry Unger was somebody to look up to. And he had the groovy long hair. Too bad the organization was such a mess for much of his stay, with trade after trade after trade that rarely made sense.

Back to today and tomorrow. I hope that the Blues stay quiet or relatively so at the trade deadline. This is a deep team, really deep. I want the team to hold on to their draft picks and not upset the club's chemistry.

Bye for now
I was always huge Paul Cavallini fan!

StLewis11

Oct 18, 2008
was So.Ill, now SoCA
Yeah Garry Unger was cool.....in fact, he was a big reason I became a Blues fan as a kid. I grew up in a very small southern Illinois town, & happened to catch a game on TV, which was somewhat rare back then. In that first hockey game I saw, it was Unger who scored 2 goals, while having that long hair. I was immediately hooked on hockey.......as far a I knew, I was probably the only hockey fan in my town at that time.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad