More proof that the Vegas Strip has gotten behind the Golden Knights

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I was in Vegas in January and explored up and down the strip to see how the city has gotten behind the team. From the Airport and just about everywhere on the strip it’s hard not to find an establishment that hasn’t gotten behind the team. And now today the Bellagio posted this tweet of a full sized chocolate Marc-Andre Fleury. I’ve lived in multiple cities in my life time and either at or near five different NHL markets (Vancouver, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona, and Washington DC). I’ve never seen anything like how Vegas has gotten behind the Golden Knights.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I was in Vegas last weekend and super impressed with the fans that would talk to me (wearing my Jets hat).

They've got a good thing going on down there with the team playing so well

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I see a lot of people wearing vegas merch

seems to be an easy team to bandwagon on

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
glad to see them getting behind the team, wonder how much of the bandwagon will fall off as soon as they stumble. This first season was incredible for drawing in as much interest as possible though, couldn't have asked for anything better if youre the league

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How large will the split be between LAK and VGK fans in Vegas?

50/50 probably at most since we've done a lot of frozen fury games against the avs for a long time there and Kings fans would fill it up. But who knows really.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
50/50 probably at most since we've done a lot of frozen fury games against the avs for a long time there and Kings fans would fill it up. But who knows really.

True, heard they also will do their best to suppress visiting fan ticket sales but I feel like every small market team does so and not sure it makes much a difference d

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I was in Vegas in January and explored up and down the strip to see how the city has gotten behind the team. From the Airport and just about everywhere on the strip it’s hard not to find an establishment that hasn’t gotten behind the team. And now today the Bellagio posted this tweet of a full sized chocolate Marc-Andre Fleury. I’ve lived in multiple cities in my life time and either at or near five different NHL markets (Vancouver, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona, and Washington DC). I’ve never seen anything like how Vegas has gotten behind the Golden Knights.

Can the Flyers trade Mrazek for that chocolate sculpture?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Good for them, seems like the Knights have a solid following already. The atmosphere at games looks great too, will defs check out a game next time Im in Vegas

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
NHL hit the jackpot by getting a team in Vegas before the NFL, NBA, or MLB were able to put down roots. I have no doubt that this would be a very different story if they were the 2nd/3rd pro team in the city.

Not be callous but the Las Vegas Shooting has been playing a large part in the Knights success in terms of support. By all accounts the Knights have been fantastic in terms of helping the community heal and in their volunteer efforts. There’s is also first move advantage and the Raiders will not have as big of an impact because of the number of games they play. If the NBA stays away for a few more seasons there is a strong possibility that the Knights could be turn out like Nashville instead of Phoenix.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ok, wow, way to blow this way out of proportion. I think it's fantastic to see that kind of support in a non-traditional hockey market, I hope it really lasts when the times get tough and stay just as strong when the highs are high.

But no team needs to learn from this because the situations are always much different, the teams that suffer, it's more due to inept ownership/management/or some arena issue or all of the above. Don't point fingers at others while praising another.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I guess they can't say hockey will never work in the desert anymore....

No one said it wouldn't. When you have unstable ownership, or just flat out terrible ownership and a city that doesn't even act like it wants the team there, you are never going to get a good result. If the city doesn't even back you and your ownership changes or you lose one and the NHL controls it for a duration, that doesn't help either.

Neither do deep pockets, Sabres have a rich owner, but it means very little if the people in place are not fixing things.

Vegas is the exception, not the rule.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Carolina got behind the Canes too for a while. We all know how that turned out. I expect no difference in Vegas.

They remind me of the Nets when they moved from Jersey to Brooklyn. First season...made a huge social media splash, signed veterens en masse and made a run in tbe playoffs in that first season. Barclays was packed.

Few years later after everything has simmered down? People wish they were back in Jersey.

Not saying this will happen in Vegas. But I've seen this movie before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad