More points this season Crosby vs Ovi

more points by the end of game 82

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's still laughable to me that some people (read: fans of a team with a star goalscorer)are so myopic to think goal splits can tell the whole story about the better player. It makes me question their entire concept of how the game works.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lol Crosby does kill penalities. At least watch the games....

Ironic you are telling people to watch the games yet you say Ovechkin is a "goal scoring winger," implying that he doesn't play defense or isn't trusted defensively in important situations. Makes me think you don't watch much of Ovechkin these days.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's still laughable to me that some people (read: fans of a team with a star goalscorer)are so myopic to think goal splits can tell the whole story about the better player. It makes me question their entire concept of how the game works.

The sad thing is it seems to be getting more popular on here too.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

As opposed to points telling the whole story?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Why is it amazing, he's a center. They're both relatively the same age, meanwhile Ovechkin will be the oldest goal scoring champion in NHL history. Ovechkin had a better season last year and they'll be neck and neck this year.

False Johnny Bucyk was 35 when he led most goals

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
As opposed to points telling the whole story?

No. It's everything, including beyond just the statsheet. Goal differential is the biggest factor in wins and losses and play drivers and elite possession players create scoring chances for themselves and others and keep the puck away from the other team and off the scoresheet. This aspect of the game has been a big edge for Crosby since Ovechkin's peak, and he's been incredible at it this season. There's a lot of value in players who can score from anywhere, but you guys still overrate the importance of being the guy who actually finishes the play.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Crosby is the better player and has had a better career . Those who disagree and choose Ovechkin also probably believe Brett Hull was a better player and had a better career than Steve Yzerman .

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Nope. Crosby has a much better overall game. The fact that Crosby can still outscore him is amazing

I mean id say Crosby just because he has every season for quite a while. this isn't amazing that Crosby is still outscoring him. If anything something has dropped in his game or are you going to start saying Crosby is paying extra special attention to defense now that he didn't the last 8-9 years. And yes a rocket season with almost the same amount of points is better not including playoffs.

Reactions: Hippasus

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
No. It's everything, including beyond just the statsheet. Goal differential is the biggest factor in wins and losses and play drivers and elite possession players create scoring chances for themselves and others and keep the puck away from the other team and off the scoresheet. This has been Crosby's biggest edge since Ovechkin, and he's been incredible at it this season. There's a lot of value in players who can score from anywhere, but you guys still overrate the importance of being the guy who actually finishes the play.

Crosby can be the better player according to most fans on here and that's fine but I will never understand the thinking on the boards that the guy who "actually" scores the goal is not the most important part of most goals that happens. I can see where that player wouldn't be, on great playmaking tap-ins, but most goals aren't scored that way. If everyone can do what Ovi can do and being the frowned upon goalscorer role is so easy why aren't there more 40-50 goal scorers. Ovi isn't Cheechoo with Thornton banking them in off of him. Your statement doesn't really apply to Ovi. Maybe it applies to other lesser goal scorers in the league that require the superstar center but Ovi doesn't as evidenced by his career.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Crosby can be the better player according to most fans on here and that's fine but I will never understand the thinking on the boards that the guy who "actually" scores the goal is not the most important part of most goals that happens. I can see where that player wouldn't be, on great playmaking tap-ins, but most goals aren't scored that way. If everyone can do what Ovi can do and being the frowned upon goalscorer role is so easy why aren't there more 40-50 goal scorers. Ovi isn't Cheechoo with Thornton banking them in off of him. Your statement doesn't really apply to Ovi. Maybe it applies to other lesser goal scorers in the league that require the superstar center but Ovi doesn't as evidenced by his career.

You're looking at it the wrong way though. My point isn't to discredit Ovechkin's goals it's to credit Crosby's assists. Ovechkin deserves the most credit for the majority of his goals, because his ability to get off quality shots from anywhere is the best in the league. But that's not the case for the players Crosby usually plays with. He's the one who creates most of the chances that lead to the goals regardless of who ends up putting it in the net. People want to make blanket statements about goals being better when it's different for different players. That's why this idea that Ovechkin's goals are so much more valuable despite similar points is bunk. They both are the major catalysts for their points.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Nope. But your entitled to your opinion. Crosby is a 200 foot player at this point trusted in all situations of the game. Ovechkin is a goal scoring winger

If the season ends today, there's a good chance OV finishes higher in Hat and Lindsay voting.

But good to see how objective you can be regarding Sid and OV.

Reactions: canuckking1

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Crosby is the better player and has had a better career . Those who disagree and choose Ovechkin also probably believe Brett Hull was a better player and had a better career than Steve Yzerman .

Not a really apt comparison. But I get the point. Sid is better all-time and I believe this is consensus opinion.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I mean id say Crosby just because he has every season for quite a while. this isn't amazing that Crosby is still outscoring him. If anything something has dropped in his game or are you going to start saying Crosby is paying extra special attention to defense now that he didn't the last 8-9 years. And yes a rocket season with almost the same amount of points is better not including playoffs.
The goal posts with Crosby seem to change every year. First he's saving himself for the playoffs and now he's apparently trying to win the prestigious Selke instead of the useless Art Ross and Hart.
Crosby = center, Ovechkin = winger. Always take the center.
Always? So Glendening is about to outscore Kucherov this year? I do think Crosby ends up with more points, but that's just silly.
Ovechkin has not been top 10 in scoring in 4 years.
Good for him. Doesn't mean you need to lie about Crosby killing penalties. He shouldn't because it'd be a waste when shitty bottom 6ers can do it, but don't make shit up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->