More points this season Crosby vs Ovi

more points by the end of game 82

• Total voters

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
Both playing fantastic hockey this season. Ovi along with dominating goalscoring has been a great playmaker aswell. Crosby has regained his usual form. Voted Ovi.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Likely Crosby but Ovechkin will be close. I find it far more telling that Ovechkin is the only player on his team in the top 25 in points, it says a lot about how much of the offensive load he's been shouldering. It was the same last year until basically the final 4 games when Backstrom snuck into the top 20, Ovechkin is driving a division winning cup champion solo while Crosby has 2 teammates in the top 25.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Nope. Crosby has a much better overall game. The fact that Crosby can still outscore him is amazing
Why is it amazing, he's a center. They're both relatively the same age, meanwhile Ovechkin will be the oldest goal scoring champion in NHL history. Ovechkin had a better season last year and they'll be neck and neck this year.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Why is it amazing, he's a center. They're both relatively the same age, meanwhile Ovechkin will be the oldest goal scoring champion in NHL history. Ovechkin had a better season last year and they'll be neck and neck this year.
Crosby has upped his overall game greatly this season. Just plays a far more complete game. With nowhere near the linemates.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Nope. Crosby has a much better overall game. The fact that Crosby can still outscore him is amazing
2 things:

1) How is it amazing that he can put up a few more points? Ovi is 33 and Sid is 31, and Ovi is 1 draft year older. If anything it's amazing that old-man ovi can keep up with a younger Sid.

2) Not considering age or anything, and just looking at them straight up this year, Ovi is currently 15th in points and 1st in goals. Crosby is 13th in points and 27th in goals. Ovi is having a better season this year so far.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby might have more secondary assists which bumps his points a couple over Ovie's but Ovechkin is clearly the better player once again.

So basically a re-run of last season.

Reactions: Zuluss and JLaw1719

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
2 things:

1) How is it amazing that he can put up a few more points? Ovi is 33 and Sid is 31, and Ovi is 1 draft year older. If anything it's amazing that old-man ovi can keep up with a younger Sid.

2) Not considering age or anything, and just looking at them straight up this year, Ovi is currently 15th in points and 1st in goals. Crosby is 13th in points and 27th in goals. Ovi is having a better season this year so far.
Nope. But your entitled to your opinion. Crosby is a 200 foot player at this point trusted in all situations of the game. Ovechkin is a goal scoring winger

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
More points : Crosby

Better season : Unless Crosby hits 1oo points, it's Ovy

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Nope. But your entitled to your opinion. Crosby is a 200 foot player at this point trusted in all situations of the game. Ovechkin is a goal scoring winger

Crosby doesn't kill penalties and he doesn't take defensive zone draws.

But by all means, continue to pretend he's good at defense.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018

I'll concede that Crosby has definitely lived up to the 200 foot hype this year where as in years passed it was pretty much all hype. He has been awesome at either end, full stop. Saying that, it doesn't mean he's having the better season. It's up in the air

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018

Yes he does kill penalties, try again

Yes he does take defensive zone draws. He's always on the ice taking crucial faceoffs at the end of games. Try again

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yes he does kill penalties, try again

Sid's PK time on ice is good for ~ 370th in the NHL. I brought this up a few weeks back when Sid was 370th and Pens fans said he was on the upswing in this regard. So I checked again this week - still 370th.

TheGuiminator said:
Yes he does take defensive zone draws. He's always on the ice taking crucial faceoffs at the end of games. Try again

Riley Sheahan - a guy who plays far fewer minutes than Sid - has nearly double the defensive zone faceoffs. Same goes for Bergeron - in 16 fewer games played.

Sid simply is not deployed in a defensive role. He's not a shutdown C, nor will he ever be.

This whole business about his fans and the massively influential Canadian hype machine trying to pretend he's good at defense is nothing more than compensating for his offense falling off.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Sid's PK time on ice is good for ~ 370th in the NHL. I brought this up a few weeks back when Sid was 370th and Pens fans lied and said he was on the upswing in this regard. So I checked again this week - still 370th.

Riley Sheahan - a guy who plays far fewer minutes than Sid - has nearly double the defensive zone faceoffs. Somes goes for Bergeron - in 16 fewer games played.

Sid simply is not deployed in a defensive role. He's not a shutdown C, nor will he ever be.

This whole business about his fans trying to pretend he's good at defense is nothing more than compensating for his offense falling off.
Ovechkin has not been top 10 in scoring in 4 years.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Sid's PK time on ice is good for ~ 370th in the NHL.

Riley Sheahan - a guy who plays far fewer minutes than Sid - has nearly double the defensive zone faceoffs. Somes goes for Bergeron - in 16 fewer games played.

This whole business about his fans trying to pretend he's good at defense is nothing more than compensating for his offense falling off.

I agree that he's not a shutdown center or a defensive forward. I don't even consider him elite defensively. But to say that he's bad or average defensively is total bullshit.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovechkin has been playing a complete and 200ft game and is impactful everywhere.

You were trying to say that Kuzy is driving play but actually Ovi is as seen here

Ovi doesn't get the credit for being an elite playmaker or good defensive winger or punishing checker but he doing all those.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Probably Crosby but not by much. Still not cancelling the fact that Ovechkin has had better last 1.5 seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad