WC: More players turning down invites than usual?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
In terms of Czech Republic, more players than usual declined invitation. But thats mostly visible due to lack of depth as we have to send same players every year. So this year its for example Jan Kovar, Jan Kolar, Kundratek, Nakladal, Voracek plus several guys who didnt pass medical check like Kase, Zacha, Rutta. Basically not smth special as these guys would otherwise have to come every year for their entire career.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
SWE: 18 NHLrs last year, 15 this year so far
At this time last year we had 16(edit: 15, forgot about Lundqvist) NHLers, and most our declined have been injuries or upcoming contracts.

So for Sweden there's practically no change since last year.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
We ofcourse dont have this issue this year.
Everybody who are available and who can crawl would say yes

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
USA's roster looks to be equal to last year's, which was their best collection of NHLrs since forever.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Russia has a considerable amount of declines/injuries, even not the best from KHL are playing. I've mentioned it elsewhere earlier, but this is Russias worst roster for a World Championship since 2005. The pre-2006 (pre-Bykov) er was a dark hole not to be compared with, but since the rise of Russian hockey it's the worst lineup and a new coach was presented just two weeks or so before this tournament.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Russia has a considerable amount of declines/injuries, even not the best from KHL are playing. I've mentioned it elsewhere earlier, but this is Russias worst roster for a World Championship since 2005. The pre-2006 (pre-Bykov) er was a dark hole not to be compared with, but since the rise of Russian hockey it's the worst lineup and a new coach was presented just two weeks or so before this tournament.

Russia’s roster surprised me the most.

I wonder if Ovechkin will come over if the Caps are eliminated?

Reactions: North Cole

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Only one that turned down the invitation for Switzerland is Sbisa, and he's still in the playoffs anyways.
Hischier and Malgin were blocked from going by their teams. All the others all gave their availability if eliminated from playoffs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Only one that turned down the invitation for Switzerland is Sbisa, and he's still in the playoffs anyways.
Hischier and Malgin were blocked from going by their teams. All the others all gave their availability if eliminated from playoffs

NHL teams can't block players from playing in the IIHF World Championship as long as the national team goes through proper channels and the NHL team isn't in the playoffs.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
NHL teams can't block players from playing in the IIHF World Championship as long as the national team goes through proper channels and the NHL team isn't in the playoffs.

There is always some minor injury they can make an issue of. Zuccarello has been stopped for the second year in the row for Norway, with something in the line of "is banged up and needs rest".

Last edited:

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Well tell that to the Panthers, I don't think they know that

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There is always some minor injury they can make an issue of. Zuccarello has been stopped for the second year in the row for Norway, with something in the line of "is banged up and needs rest".

Well tell that to the Panthers, I don't think they know that

It's in the collective bargaining agreement - the teams cannot stop players from going to this tournament. The teams can pressure the players I suppose but they cannot stop players. Sounds more like the player refusing and putting the blame on his team, which would be easier in countries far removed from regular NHL coverage.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It's in the collective bargaining agreement - the teams cannot stop players from going to this tournament. The teams can pressure the players I suppose but they cannot stop players. Sounds more like the player refusing and putting the blame on his team, which would be easier in countries far removed from regular NHL coverage.

Yeah, Zucc has had some minor knee-surgery. Of course they did it just after the season, so he could play the last games in regular season, but is to rehab now. Smart timing. Cannot be criticized.

In Norwegian (perhaps you get some offers of google-translate if you click on it) Zucca nektes VM-spill av klubben: – Har veldig lyst til å dra

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, Zucc has had some minor knee-surgery. Of course they did it just after the season, so he could play the last games in regular season, but is to rehab now. Smart timing. Cannot be criticized.

In Norwegian (perhaps you get some offers of google-translate if you click on it) Zucca nektes VM-spill av klubben: – Har veldig lyst til å dra

Sure, those things inevitably happen, but if the player was intent on going then the team couldn't stop him. In a situation like that described above though it is seemingly in the player's best interest to have the surgery.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seemed like a lot of guys that could be there for Canada aren't there. Can't blame them really if they don't want to go. Long NHL season just over, want to relax not go overseas.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Sure, those things inevitably happen, but if the player was intent on going then the team couldn't stop him. In a situation like that described above though it is seemingly in the player's best interest to have the surgery.
Can they go even if the medical team does not clear them for playing?
Can Hischier, for example, say "f*** the devil's doctor, if my wrist was ok to play for them is ok also for the national team" and actually go without any contractual hindering?
Of course it would probably a really bad idea, but in theory can someone do that?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Can they go even if the medical team does not clear them for playing?
Can Hischier, for example, say "**** the devil's doctor, if my wrist was ok to play for them is ok also for the national team" and actually go without any contractual hindering?
Of course it would probably a really bad idea, but in theory can someone do that?

The agreement is here:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

The part about the IIHF world championships is on page 175. I don't think that the NHL team could stop the player, though it would obviously create a big issue between the player and his team, there would possibly be a fight over insurance and I'm guessing that the NHL and the federation that selected the player would have a fight defending on the situation. I can recall Malkin going to the tournament when Pittsburgh said that he was not healthy and I recall MacKinnon going despite missing the last several weeks of his NHL season.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada's rosters have seen relative improvement since the 2015 dream team steamroller. There's just years where more players accept than usual and some where fewer than usual accept. I think its always been that way.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Bobrovsky,Garipov

Buchnevich-Anisimov-Radulov
Panarin-Tkachyov- Dadonov
Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Tarasenko
Gusev-Namestnikov-Kaprizov
Barbashev-Telegin

Voinov-Zadorov
Zaytsev-Provorov
Antipin-Tryamkin

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Perhaps our European posters on this forum could answer this question. Did more players decline an invitation to player in the 2018 WHC than usual?

It does appear to me that they have. I thought with no NHL players in the Olympics more players would be interested in playing at the WHC. I was wrong.

Less rejections i think. Most available players for Sweden/Russia/Finland/Switzerland are there. Only notable for Finland is Barkov, the rest are all in Playoffs. Koivu starts a new contract after a bad season, so it is customary to pass the games.

NHL players for Finland, in order of points 17-18:
--Forwards---
Rantanen - present
Barkov - Not coming.
Laine - NHL playoffs. Might skip if out?
Granlund - Present
Aho - Present
Teravainen - Present
Haula - NHL playoffs, was coming but made the next round.
Koivu - Not coming. Average/bad season and he is getting slow.
Donskoi - NHL Playoffs.
Armia - NHL playoffs
The 20 point guys (Lehkonen, Pulju, Komarov, Lehtera), AHL players. There are better big ice players in Europe. Most of these might not have been asked.

---
Ristolainen - Not coming (apparently injured and relatively bad 2nd half of the season. Average big ice D-man imo, so personally quite happy he is not in the team.)
Vatanen - Not coming. Concussion.
Maatta - Playoffs
Lindell - Not coming. Broken thumb.
Nutivaara - Present.
Honka - Present. (Fringe NHLer with 40 games this season.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad