Post-Game Talk (GBU): More of the Usual

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
His value is likely at its lowest it's ever been. You're not going to get anything worthwhile, and change for change's sake doesn't work. (I'm still waiting for us to be awesome now that Derek Roy isn't in the room anymore.) Let the guy get through his slump, and see how he performs under a new coach.

I disagree. Even in his 30goal or decent production season, he is inconsistent, streaky, and carries a penchant for a disappearing act. No thank you. Done with him. Call it what you want, I call it a poor representation of professionalism. I'm all about seeing what guys can do under a new voice - I just have no desire to see him on this team anymore. Bias, personal distaste, whatever the **** you want to call it.

As for the Roy trade... Is it the main reason behind Bucky's article where other GMs are ripping Regier? Very likely. On paper, you got a third line grinder and a brutal cap dump for a #2 center who is fringe #1, wins draws, plays all zones and all situations while hovering at a point-per-game pace for his career. But any human who watched the team knew it was time for a divorce. Whether or not we got a decent to good return is obviously debatable, but like it is for Stafford, Roy's time was up.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I agree with this. Hasn't he also mentioned being interested in going more to the personnel side of hockey? Maybe Buffalo could offer him a job as a scout or assistant GM or something. He and Regier obviously like working together, and he deserves the organization's respect for how loyal he's been throughout his career, even if it's past time for a fresh face behind the bench.

If we get a new coach, and the team isn't any better, then he and Darcy are both on the block together for inept management. I don't see what we have to lose by offering him the option of staying in a different role.

The only thing worse than having Ruff coach is having Ruff MORE involved in player personnel. Why people would want an entire team of Jochen Hecht's is beyond me. For the love of everything good, just let them man go.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The only thing worse than having Ruff coach is having Ruff MORE involved in player personnel. Why people would want an entire team of Jochen Hecht's is beyond me. For the love of everything good, just let them man go.

As I said, if the team still blows and it becomes clear that management is as much a factor as coaching, then both he and Regier are on their way out together for stinking that up, and we start fresh. If the problem is mostly just the coaching, it won't make any difference if he's there, because R&R already work together making personnel decisions.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
As I said, if the team still blows and it becomes clear that management is as much a factor as coaching, then both he and Regier are on their way out together for stinking that up, and we start fresh. If the problem is mostly just the coaching, it won't make any difference if he's there, because R&R already work together making personnel decisions.

Who do you think Ruff would want as a coach to replace him? It would be one of the guys already behind him, so chances are Patrick would be taking over. No thanks. If you want actual change in the organization, you have to walk away from people.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I disagree. Even in his 30goal or decent production season, he is inconsistent, streaky, and carries a penchant for a disappearing act. No thank you. Done with him. Call it what you want, I call it a poor representation of professionalism. I'm all about seeing what guys can do under a new voice - I just have no desire to see him on this team anymore. Bias, personal distaste, whatever the **** you want to call it.

As for the Roy trade... Is it the main reason behind Bucky's article where other GMs are ripping Regier? Very likely. On paper, you got a third line grinder and a brutal cap dump for a #2 center who is fringe #1, wins draws, plays all zones and all situations while hovering at a point-per-game pace for his career. But any human who watched the team knew it was time for a divorce. Whether or not we got a decent to good return is obviously debatable, but like it is for Stafford, Roy's time was up.

I firmly believe that if Ruff were out of the picture and someone else other than Patrick or Adams was the coach, Ott would flourish.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
All I keep thinking about is how correct people are when they say how boring this team is to watch.

I dread the near 3 hours round trip there and home to watch them play, I find other things to watch when they are on the road... its just boring.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm on the "No Winnin' For Mackinnon" train, so I am not mad theyre losing.

With that in mind, I'm disgusted with how little care they seem to be playing. The sad part is, I really think the players really do like playing for the Sabres but not for the coach. But because the Owner and GM have such a strong love for Lindy, I feel some players are hesitant to say anything to the media about how they feel. Some might feel if they same something, not only would they might have no playing time, but they may be on Darcy's list of tradeables.

BEFORE they get a new coach, they need to get rid of the GM. Darcy's and Lindy's vision of a team is not working in today's NHL.

There's 3 of the "Rochester 5" core left, all of which are carrying this team, and it still did not change play or effort from the team. Unless Darcy wants to commit Career suicide and franchise suicide and trade off their captain(respected player at that), franchise goaltender, or their MVP(Vanek) he might need to look at getting rid of the guy who coaches the team. Every other team would get rid of players and if that still didn't work then they get rid of the coach. The Buffalo fanbase is still waiting on the coach to be moved. Too many guys have been moved.

studebaker1*

With the draft lottery we probably wont get a 1st overall even if we tank it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newcastlesabre

Jan 30, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
All I keep thinking about is how correct people are when they say how boring this team is to watch.

I dread the near 3 hours round trip there and home to watch them play, I find other things to watch when they are on the road... its just boring.

Add to that the fact that the players themselves are giving off an aura of being bored actually playing, like they are just going through the motions at the minute...

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
It's possible that by our next game on Friday that we are tied for last in the East with Washington 30% into the season.

Newcastlesabre

Jan 30, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You know, when I first starting supporting the Sabres, I was filled with optimism, and I was warned by quite a few people that supporting Buffalo is frustrating and that they would grind me down eventually.I thought that the fans were a cynical bunch, but looks whats happened, its come true. An organisation with vast potential, not moving forward and way behind the top teams on the ice. Supporting your teams meant to be fun, with Buffalo it's hard work!

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
You know, when I first starting supporting the Sabres, I was filled with optimism, and I was warned by quite a few people that supporting Buffalo is frustrating and that they would grind me down eventually.I thought that the fans were a cynical bunch, but looks whats happened, its come true. An organisation with vast potential, not moving forward and way behind the top teams on the ice. Supporting your teams meant to be fun, with Buffalo it's hard work!

Pfft, more like one giant never ending headache.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I could be wrong..but I think our 3rd and 4th line have combined for a total of 5 even-strength goals through 14 games, and 3 are from our d-men. That is just brutal. Not like our 2nd line is doing any better on top of that. It's going to be rough if VHP is starting to come back to earth now.

Ott has 1 goal ES on the 3rd line
Sulzer has 2 goals ES that came while the 3rd line was out
Leopold has 1 goal ES that came while the 3rd line was out
Grigorenko has 1 goal ES on the 3rd line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad