Post-Game Talk (GBU): More of the Usual

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
You give him the option to stay because he has carried water for this team for 15 years and you reward loyalty. IF he wants to leave he can but dont embarrass the guy if you can afford not to.

Being fired after 15 years is in no way embarassing.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
U:
Ray talking ******** "2 goals - not a big deal for this team" and "great effort".

Yeah, I've noticed this attempt at creating legend this season so far with the league scoring stats. I believe going into tonight, Sabres were 6th in the league in GF. HOWEVER, what these guys usually fail to bring up, is the oft overlooked stat called GAMES PLAYED.

When you have literally played 20-30% more games than most other teams around you, you may have an inflated GF total.

As of tonight, the Sabres have played 14 games, more than any other team in the league. You could say that's a good sign, because that means they'll have more time to breathe down the road. Of course it also means every other team has 2-3 games-in-hand on you, which amounts to a lot of extra points floating around that you won't have a shot at.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
You give him the option to stay because he has carried water for this team for 15 years and you reward loyalty. IF he wants to leave he can but dont embarrass the guy if you can afford not to.

Really? The organization are the ones that have been loyal to Ruff. What coach is going to walk away from making millions of dollars while other coaches around the league are being fired left and right? Why give up what is apparently the securest position in the NHL?

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I disagree. There is no way he could go 2-20 because Pegula would be laughing stock of the league if he kept him.

We were as close to rock bottom as I recall this team ever being last January and Ruff kept his job through that freaking nightmare.

What makes you think it will change now?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Embarrass? Coaches get fired constantly. People used to say constantly he'd get a new job immediately if he were fired, so let him get one. The organization doesn't need him at this point.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
almost every single decision they've made in NHL roster construction over the last 2 seasons... has been ugly :laugh:

Good point and overlooked for the most part on this forum.

This team is not nearly as good as some think it is, and it is not going to be a lot better "with a bit more time" either.

It is a hodgepodge of ill-fitting pieces with no identity, other than a lack of competitiveness and soft play.

MidgetMyers

Aug 28, 2007
saw this game live tonight, here are some thoughts

Good:
Gerbe looked like the only guy who cared tonight
Miller was solid, couldn't get as far out as he'd like on the karlsson goal

Bad:
Stafford was putrid again
literally every defenseman except ehrhoff, who was mediocre at best

Ugly:
Lindy, Lindy, Lindy
some really bad calls both ways tonight

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
This team's already fired Ruff. The players have quit on him. I agree, 15 years, you ask him to step down w/ dignity, and if he refuses, THEN you fire him. But he needs to go, and he needs to go RIGHT. *******. NOW.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Good:
-Anderson
-Miller for the most part
-Sekera looked better

Bad:
-Good lord where do I begin...

Ugly:
-Foligno
-I bought tickets to the Sabres-Panthers game in Miami. Bought plane tickets too. Planned my whole trip around it expecting to see a playoff caliber Buffalo team. I make poor decisions.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This team's already fired Ruff. The players have quit on him. I agree, 15 years, you ask him to step down w/ dignity, and if he refuses, THEN you fire him. But he needs to go, and he needs to go RIGHT. *******. NOW.

I think Ruff's message no longer resonates with the team. When you get a bundle of energy like Foligno not hustling back on defense at times, it's pretty clear to me. And he's not the only one. Stafford's the same way sometimes. There are too many players not playing to capability.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
And yes, it's time for everyone to get together and agree that Ruff needs to be fired immediately. Doesn't matter if there will be a 'better' candidate in the offseason or not at this point, so long as it's different. Let Patrick carry out the season unless there's some hire that could be made mid-season (which is fairly doubtful).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I've noticed this attempt at creating legend this season so far with the league scoring stats. I believe going into tonight, Sabres were 6th in the league in GF. HOWEVER, what these guys usually fail to bring up, is the oft overlooked stat called GAMES PLAYED.

When you have literally played 20-30% more games than most other teams around you, you may have an inflated GF total.

As of tonight, the Sabres have played 14 games, more than any other team in the league. You could say that's a good sign, because that means they'll have more time to breathe down the road. Of course it also means every other team has 2-3 games-in-hand on you, which amounts to a lot of extra points floating around that you won't have a shot at.

Before tonight 3.00G/G, still better than a whole lot of teams.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
We were as close to rock bottom as I recall this team ever being last January and Ruff kept his job through that freaking nightmare.

What makes you think it will change now?

I think Has been close to getting canned. Management has dug in a little deeper cause of media calling firing. But only thing that can sabe him is winning ---- or maybe, just maybe, major trade

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Seems like it's about time to tune out until they make their inevitable run to 10th place

They're not even good enough for that, IMO. This isn't a mediocre team; it's a legitimately bad, bottom-feeder team.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
And yes, it's time for everyone to get together and agree that Ruff needs to be fired immediately. Doesn't matter if there will be a 'better' candidate in the offseason or not at this point, so long as it's different. Let Patrick carry out the season unless there's some hire that could be made mid-season (which is fairly doubtful).

No. When you fire Lindy you send his three stooges with him (Adams, Patrick, Teppo) Corsi too.

Bye bye. The whole staff sucks, probably worst coaching staff in the NHL.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
No. When you fire Lindy you send his three stooges with him (Adams, Patrick, Teppo) Corsi too.

I wouldn't have a problem with Patrick functioning as interim coach until the season is over, as long as he left when a new HC was brought in.

It is far more important to fire Ruff and remove him from the organization entirely in my opinion.

A lot of people suggest giving him a different job in the organization.

NO...that is a mistake. If he is canned, he can either retire and count his money or go coach a different team. But he can't hang around the Sabres organization.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Well, good luck finding an entirely new head coach and staff in the middle of a season. When coaches are fired during seasons, interim coaches generally take over from within and a new coach is found in the offseason. I said as much in my comment, to keep Patrick as interim if the right replacement candidate isn't available, which is probably the case.

Karate Johnson*

Darcy needs to go just as much as Lindy.

He built the team that stinks.

I don't care if Darcy does some things well. Complete fresh start.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ugly

The decision to keep Grigs. He isn't ready.

I thought he and Gerbe were the only two forwards worth anything close to a damn tonight. And I think the last four or five games have been better in terms of looking like he belongs.

This was tough to watch. I hate to single guys out because it was pretty bad across the board, but Foligno was horrid, Vanek invisible, Stafford nauseating, and the D was standard horrible.

I'm in such a mental funk because of this group. Uninspiring laziness across the board. Gotta get some changes in the works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->