More news from Russia (Steblin, Fetisov ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Alexander Steblin, president of the Russian Hockey Federation, was interviewed earlier today by Sovetsky Sport (Click here for the full interview in Russian).

The article is in Russian, so I'm just going to translate the most important things he said :

Q : So who will coach our (national) team at the World Cup?

Steblin : At the beginning of next week we will reveal the name of the national team's general manager. It is going to be a Russian. The composition of the coaching staff will mainly depend on him.

Q : Does Tikhonov have any chance of keeping his job?

Steblin : At the World Championship some players, especially NHLers, expressed their discontent regarding the coach. We can't close our eyes on such facts. The World Cup is organized by the NHL. Most of the players on the Russian team will be from the NHL (...). The World Cup will be played under NHL rules, on smaller rinks, and that the coach must know how to play against other NHL players.

Obviously what he's trying to say is that Tikhonov is OUT, and that the federation will name a GM who knows the NHL well enough.

In my opinion it's going to be either Larionov (even if he declared last month that he doesn't want to have anything to do with the team) or Pavel Bure (oh no!!!).
Steblin also indicated that the GM will be Russian, but does it suggest that the coach might be a foreigner? Could be!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

In the same edition Slava Fetisov also gave an interview (Click here for the full story) speaking out about the state of Russian hockey in the past 10 years and its future. Basically his solution is 1-hire a young coach because Tikhonov is too old even if his contract runs through 2006, and 2-replace the staff at the head of the Federation (bye bye Steblin, you're out). :banana:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Today Sovetsky Sport published the interview of Viktor Tikhonov, who in his authoritative soviet style declared that he refuses to give up "his" team, and countered the words of Alexander Steblin by asking "what do we need a general manager for?" Selecting the players is strictly the head coach's job according to Tikhonov.

The same day Slava Fetisov said in a interview at www.gazeta.ru that the Russian coach could be a foreigner.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I really hope Tikhonov loses his job. If he dosen't, it will only prove that russia dosen't have any good coaches, or that 2 or 3 dinausres still run the game. I read so much negative press about Tikhonov; apperntly, with the CSKA he blasted a couple of times players that didn't even play that night, for their errors and stuff like that. I mean, how much will it take before they put him in a «yellow house»..

I don't know how is Jursinov nowadays, but I'd rather have him coaching than Tikhonov.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
According to this article, Tikhonov will submit his list of 26 players for the World Cup on Tuesday. :banghead:

But at the same time, Slava Fetisov was interviewed on Russian radio on Saturday, and said that the coach could be Igor Larionov, Sergei Nemchinov, Vyacheslav Bykov or Valeri Belousov.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
yeah man, it's crazy

no one really knows what's going on, not even the federation

everyone is saying something different

looks like they'll send a Superleague squad to Canada :lol

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
This list isn't supposed to get public. That's a list that he was supposed to present to the federation, but granted that he won't even be Russia's coach, this list has no value.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've just read today's news from Sovetsky Sport, they interviewed Tikhonov and he said that his list is ready. But he didn't want it to become public.

"My list is ready. Are Fedorov and Mogilny on it? Why not? But before we have to talk to each player personnally. So I won't give you concrete names for now," said Tikhonov.

Full story here : http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?date=2004/5/19&id=154075

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Seriously its time the russians get their act together, the russian hockey federation is great at developing young talent but then what? A lot of it seems to be in a big mess. The russian teams should be competing for gold medals, not struggling to reach quarter finals like they have the last few years. Seeing Tikhonov at the World Championships was a great nostalgic treat but the man is 74 years old. Time for new ideas, and why not a Canadian coach? The idea of Larionov as General Manager and a Canadian coach sounds pretty good to me.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Fetisov should pull a little coup and get his buddy Scotty Bowman to coach the team. Oh man, I can only imagine the complaining and whining which would follow THAT announcement.

Golbez

Epsilon said:
Fetisov should pull a little coup and get his buddy Scotty Bowman to coach the team. Oh man, I can only imagine the complaining and whining which would follow THAT announcement.

since Bowman has already been asked and he rejected the assignment, don't get your hopes up.

Perhaps a little KGB-style 'accident' needs to be arranged for Tikhonov and the rest of the cold-war cronies.

Jes Golbez's Weblog

KrasnyeKrylia

May 18, 2004
Can anyone tell me what type of coach Vyacheslav Bykov is? Since he's taking over coaching for CSKA, I'm just wondering. Thanks

As you may know he's pretty inexperienced as a coach (he coached a junior hockey team in Switzerland and he was an assistant coach under Popichin for HC Fribourg-Gotteron) but so far he was a very calm (I've never seen him yell at a player), disciplined trainer (basically he's acting like he was as a player).
He's a smart guy on and off the ice and he knows a LOT about the game. I don't know if he's really good at motivating players, but I'm sure he can teach the (young) players everything they'll ever need to know about hockey...

As you probably know he had a great career, he was Captain of a very good CSKA-Team and of the Soviet/Russian National Team, he won 2 Olympic gold medals, 5 World Championship gold medals and many more trophies...

I'm sure the highly respected Bykov will be a great inspiration to the players of CSKA, especially the younger ones. Imho Russia is the perfect place for him to begin his career as a head coach.

(disclaimer: Bykov was one of my favourite players for more than a decade, it was a pleasure to watch him play in Russia and later in Switzerland - I'm likely biased when it comes to Slava Bykov... ;) )

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
KrasnyeKrylia said:
As you may know he's pretty inexperienced as a coach (he coached a junior hockey team in Switzerland and he was an assistant coach under Popichin for HC Fribourg-Gotteron) but so far he was a very calm (I've never seen him yell at a player), disciplined trainer (basically he's acting like he was as a player).
He's a smart guy on and off the ice and he knows a LOT about the game. I don't know if he's really good at motivating players, but I'm sure he can teach the (young) players everything they'll ever need to know about hockey...

As you probably know he had a great career, he was Captain of a very good CSKA-Team and of the Soviet/Russian National Team, he won 2 Olympic gold medals, 5 World Championship gold medals and many more trophies...

I'm sure the highly respected Bykov will be a great inspiration to the players of CSKA, especially the younger ones. Imho Russia is the perfect place for him to begin his career as a head coach.

(disclaimer: Bykov was one of my favourite players for more than a decade, it was a pleasure to watch him play in Russia and later in Switzerland - I'm likely biased when it comes to Slava Bykov... ;) )

Thanks. I'm hoping that he has a good effect on Andrei Kastsitsyn, who hopefully will get more ice time next year with CSKA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->