More impressive feat? 30 shots in 1 period or 6 shots through 1 game

Yikes

• Total voters

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
6 shots in one game.

You can easily shoot 30 shots at a goalie in a period, even if they are low danger shots. 6 shots through one game... Jeez.

Reactions: Jtown and Mitts

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
6 shots in one game.

You can easily shoot 30 shots at a goalie in a period, even if they are low danger shots. 6 shots through one game... Jeez.

is somebody mvp enough to provide examples of either of these occurrences post 2005 lockout

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
was gonna vote for 30 in 1 period but then I realized the 6 shots was for an entire team and not a single player...yeah 6 shots in 1 game it is

how does that even happen

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sabres had a game against the Ducks in one of the tank years where they got only 5 shots on goal all game

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
6 shots in a game is not very impressive. Even the crappiest teams can muster more.

However 6 shots AGAINST in 60 minutes of play is quite remarkable.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Didn't the Leafs have a p;ayoff game against the Devils back somewhere between 99-03 where they only had 6-10 shots?

Reactions: iSophagus

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
is somebody mvp enough to provide examples of either of these occurrences post 2005 lockout

Montreal shot 30 times in the 2nd period in a 6-2 loss against anaheim on Oct 20th 2017

And obviously Dallas just did it last night apparently.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Assume the average team gets 30 shots in a game. 6 shots = 1/5 of that. If you get 30 shots each period it’s 3x that. So 6 shots already more impressive. But it’s even worse since you only have to do the 30 shots in one period, let’s say you get 15 shots in the other periods (it has to be a high shooting game for that to occur so I’m using 15 instead of 10) you finish with double the shots. So 30 in a period is more like 15 in a game, than like 6.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't the Leafs have a p;ayoff game against the Devils back somewhere between 99-03 where they only had 6-10 shots?

Yeah, back in 2000, Toronto had a road playoff game against New Jersey in which they were purported to have only managed six shots on net. In actuality, I'm not so sure that they really only got six shots on net that game. The Devils at the time were notorious for undercounting opponent shot totals, and the Leafs players insisted after the game that they had at least twice as many shots on net as what had been recorded. Still, even 12 shots on net is absolutely pathetic, especially when your season is on the line.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Assume the average team gets 30 shots in a game. 6 shots = 1/5 of that. If you get 30 shots each period it’s 3x that. So 6 shots already more impressive. But it’s even worse since you only have to do the 30 shots in one period, let’s say you get 15 shots in the other periods (it has to be a high shooting game for that to occur so I’m using 15 instead of 10) you finish with double the shots. So 30 in a period is more like 15 in a game, than like 6.

What kind high school math is this shit??

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Wasn't there a game back in the very late 90's between Montreal and Florida where the SOG were like 14 - 12?

That's impressively hard to do as well I'd think.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
30 in one period is 15 times more than 6 in one game.

So 30 in 20 is 15x more impressive.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I can easily imagine a team getting 2 shots in a period, which avarages for 6 shots in the entire game.

However can't imagine many teams getting 30 shots in 1 period which avarages to 90 shots in game.

Reactions: c4rdsh4rk

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
I can easily imagine a team getting 2 shots in a period, which avarages for 6 shots in the entire game.

However can't imagine many teams getting 30 shots in 1 period which avarages to 90 shots in game.
Your reasoning is off. I can imagine a team getting 0 shots in 10 mins, which averages to 0 shots in a game, but that will never happen in a full game. For the same reason that Auston Matthews isn't scoring 150 goals this year. (sample size)

2 shots in a period probably happens quite often, but to do that all 3 periods is extremely rare. And you're making basically the same mistake in the second scenario, All that should matter is the 30 shots in 1 period, they don't have to keep it up for 2 more periods.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Your reasoning is off. I can imagine a team getting 0 shots in 10 mins, which averages to 0 shots in a game, but that will never happen in a full game. For the same reason that Auston Matthews isn't scoring 150 goals this year. (sample size)

2 shots in a period probably happens quite often, but to do that all 3 periods is extremely rare. And you're making basically the same mistake in the second scenario, All that should matter is the 30 shots in 1 period, they don't have to keep it up for 2 more periods.

What I'm saying is this:

If a team manages only to get 2 shots in a period (you yourself said it probably happens quite often, yup) so can it really be a more impressive thing that instead of 20 minutes that feat keeps for 40 minutes more? It could include like post shots or close misses and lots of blocks.
However to shoot 30 times in a period the first thing it requires to happen is that the specific team must have the puck for a long time in that period, not only that it requires that they keep it in the offensive zone, and then it requires that the puck is shot at the goalie. Not to forget that the team has a big chance of losing control of the puck after each shot, if it goes to faceoff the team must win the puck back again.

Also if a team only manages 6 shots, that can include most of this. Can have offensive zone time a lot without getting shots away, can have shots taken but that are blocked etc..

30 shots in 1 period is way more impressive feat.

And about keeping up the pace was not my point, the point was that if you mathematicly calculate then it suggests that 90 shots per game is more impressive and definitely rarer than 2 shots per period. Pure math

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
6 shots in one game.

Do you realize that low danger shot probably just gives the puck to the other team and they gain control which kills time for your team to get more shots?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I misunderstood the post... I voted 30 shots, but I thought the alternative answer was 6 shots by one player in a game...

Tough question! Good poll

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
6 shots in one game.

You cannot easily get 30 shots in one period.

There's another team playing against you and you need to shoot 1.5 shot per minute.

I'm more impressed by 6 in a game but 30 in a period is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad