More great photos in hockey history you've just seen for the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Maple Leaf Gardens, 1930s. That's Carleton Street. Photo would have been taken from the corner of Yonge and Carleton, looking east.

image.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Can't believe Crozier still looked young here. He aged 20 years in 5 in Buffalo...

I was all set to attribute his aging to some of the blowouts against the 70-71 Bruins but alas, he only played one of their 5 meetings that season, facing the FEWEST shots of the five games with 38.

Joe Daley was the unfortunate recipient of 40, 46, 56 and SEVENTY-TWO shots from Boston in the other four!!!! :help: Yet he WON the 56-shot game, 7-5 AT BOSTON with Eddie Shack getting the hat trick!!! :eek:

Reactions: Howie Hodge

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Found this item for auction. It's advertised as Dan Bouchard's helmet. I'm skeptical because I don't see any images of him wearing a cooper helmet. Also, those decals look funny.

69570_01.jpg
Yeah, that looks fake fake fake. Everything looks wrong about this helmet - the yellow stripe down the middle and the wear pattern on the ridges (which looks like it was done with a grinder). What's the earliest that teams were putting logos on helmets? Maybe the early 90s? Bouchard last played in Atlanta in 79.

Reactions: a79krgm

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Bouchard was wearing a helmet/cage in 1978-79 and 1979-80 with the Flames, but I don't see a single photo with the stripe or logo on it. The red variant he usually wore looks a lot like this.

The_Pittsburgh_Press_Tue__Jan_15__1980_.jpg

I'll keep poking around (later) but one thing I find odd is that if you Google "Dan Bouchard Atlanta" you get at least three different images of the helmet above, all from people trying to sell it (hopefully at different points in time).

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Found this item for auction. It's advertised as Dan Bouchard's helmet. I'm skeptical because I don't see any images of him wearing a cooper helmet. Also, those decals look funny.

69570_01.jpg

If you google Dan Bouchard Flames you come across images of him wearing a Cooper helmet (thought not this particular style) and never with the a yellow stripe.

Dan Bouchard

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

69570_01.jpg

I think these were the cooper helmets that were pre CSA approved. I know that I (Dad) had to buy me a new style CCM helmet around the mid 70's as the prior CCM model was not allowed. I believe Cooper also were forced to upgraded their helmet design. The upgraded Cooper design was used in Jr D and major junior A during the late 70's and early 80's. I strongly doubt this helmet was worn with a goal cage in the NHL at anytime as by the time cage masks were worn it would have been on the updated model, not this old one.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I can nail down some dates to pay attention to.

Bouchard wore a fitted mask (the beautifully painted one) in the Flames' game on October 13, 1977 in Boston. He was apparently wearing a different mask on October 26, 1977 against Washington, since there's this cool photo in the Des Moines Register:

The_Des_Moines_Register_Fri__Oct_28__1977_.jpg

I wonder if he was trying it out, which might (in conjunction with the photo) explain why he switched to a cage. My guess is that he switched to a cage in his return on November 2 (at Montreal), although I can't find a photo of him doing so until November 6. From then on, he's wearing a cage in every Atlanta photo I can find (through 1979-80). Some red and some white. The white appear to be Coopers, but the red all appear to be JOFAs (except that the logos aren't clear in any of them, save one that I note below).

EDIT: The Philadelphia Daily News has a photo of Bouchard - in a red cage that seems to say Cooper on the front - in the November 2, 1977 game against Montreal. No evidence of yellow stripe or logo, of course.

Bouchard was wearing a JOFA in that January 14, 1980 photo that I posted above (against Montreal).

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I think these were the cooper helmets that were pre CSA approved. I know that I (Dad) had to buy me a new style CCM helmet around the mid 70's as the prior CCM model was not allowed. I believe Cooper also were forced to upgraded their helmet design. The upgraded Cooper design was used in Jr D and major junior A during the late 70's and early 80's. I strongly doubt this helmet was worn with a goal cage in the NHL at anytime as by the time cage masks were worn it would have been on the updated model, not this old one.
I wore one of these beauties in pee wees, as a goalie. Not sure about CSA approval, if that was even a thing in 1979, but they offered as much or more protection as their CCM contemporaries.

And I would stand to be corrected but I don’t recall seeing this in the NHL on anyone, which may have been because they were butt ugly moreso than that they weren’t safe. The Gretzky style Jofa helmets were the most unsafe thing and several players wore them.

Reactions: Tarantula
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad