More great photos in hockey history you've just seen for the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
They were The Hershey B'ars (1934-36), and prior to that, the Chocolate B'ars (1933-34).

As you mention, they were deemed too commercial by the league, and became The Hershey Bears in 1936-37.

Good memory Killion!

And though I am a traditionalist, I liked the "football stripes" look on those Bisons jerseys. :thumbu:

Yeah, the old Bisons started life in the CPHL in I believe 1928 then jumped to the IHL before joining the AHL around 1940. Contemporaneously, they did have some competition at the Gate with the short lived (2 seasons) Buffalo Majors of the AHA (early 30's). Majors Teams featured some interesting players like Eddy Oatman, Crutchy Morrison, Sky Desy, Smoky Harris.... Pride of Cornwall.... the inimitable, unforgettable Elzear "Ponzi" Contant who they pried away from the Boston Tigers of the CAHL..... Rumor had it the Massachusetts Po-lice driving him to the State Line & dropping him off after it was discovered he'd been selling Reincarnation Life Insurance Plans (leave all your stuff to your next self see? Head start in the next life.) door-door throughout Beacon Hill.... fleecing the Hoidy-Toidy of New Englands establishment. I believe @Fenway 's Granny a victim, falling prey to Elzears charming ways.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The home of The Buffalo Majors, The Broadway Auditorium still stands.

It was used for boxing and other arena events after they stopped playing hockey there.

Since has/is being used to park and store City Vehicles, plows, etc.

I had seen it many times before I realized it's historical significance.

I will never view it as trivial again when I see it.....

Reactions: Killion

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
19th Century Skating Photo's from Maine.

Skating on the Androscoggin River, ca. 1890
Screenshot_20181123-100417.jpg
Skating on the Meduxnekeag River, Houlton, ca. 1895
Screenshot_20181123-095403.jpg

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
The home of The Buffalo Majors, The Broadway Auditorium still stands.

It was used for boxing and other arena events after they stopped playing hockey there.

Since has/is being used to park and store City Vehicles, plows, etc.

I had seen it many times before I realized it's historical significance.

I will never view it as trivial again when I see it.....

Here's a couple views of the Arena.

Broadway-Aud-postcard.jpg

BroadwayAud.jpg

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Ken Dryden strikes a familiar pose...
View attachment 158493

I wonder how a goalie leaning on the stick like that would go over in today's game if it had never been done? Would there be a round table discussion of former players and coaches talking about how disrespectful this is to the game? :laugh:

Seriously, if Ken Dryden hadn't already done it (and I had the pleasure and pain as a Bruins fan of seeing him live) what would it be like if a player today did that while the puck was down the other end? I don't recall any other goalie doing it either

Reactions: Killion

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
C48B4BCE-FFA8-468A-AC8B-D003995B8A1E.jpeg

Posted this in the other photo thread a while back. Patrick Roy playing vs. the Colorado Avalanche for the first and only time ever, on November 25, 1995 (about 2 weeks before Roy was traded to Colorado and went on to win 2 more Cups)

Reactions: The Panther
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Let's continue...

Here is a photo I came across recently.

AP_435468910839.jpg

This is my first time viewing this thread I think. But man, these classic photos intrigue me. Look at how close those two spectators are watching the game from. Not only that, but I've noticed a lot of classic photos like these, the crowds seem like they are really close to the action.

We're there no slap-shots in the 'classic age' of the game? I'm guessing players would attempt some form of a wrist shot? Surprised people didn't protect themselves back in the day, or maybe it wasn't needed?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I wonder how a goalie leaning on the stick like that would go over in today's game if it had never been done? Would there be a round table discussion of former players and coaches talking about how disrespectful this is to the game? :laugh:

Seriously, if Ken Dryden hadn't already done it (and I had the pleasure and pain as a Bruins fan of seeing him live) what would it be like if a player today did that while the puck was down the other end? I don't recall any other goalie doing it either

If memory serves me correctly, he leaned on his stick to stretch his back. Flexibility exercises weren't common place at that time...

Reactions: Chief Nine

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
View attachment 158569

Posted this in the other photo thread a while back. Patrick Roy playing vs. the Colorado Avalanche for the first and only time ever, on November 25, 1995 (about 2 weeks before Roy was traded to Colorado and went on to win 2 more Cups)

Always wondered how the Avs visit to Montreal went in 1995. Did a lot of Nords fans show up to cheer them on or was the franchise dead to them at the time

It ended in a 2-2 tie. Curious what the crowd reactions were to the Avs goals

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1940 Verdun Maple Leafs, Eastern Canada Memorial Cup finalists with Maurice Richard and goalie Reger Bessette....

Verdun had a Senior Team as well I believe. Butch Bouchard the only player of note though several others of interesting history & pedigree as well. Minor Pro's etc.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Love this shot of ex-Oilers' radio broadcaster Rod Phillips in action:

1_e3da56b73fba512f3412f49a5923f194.jpg

The franchise sort of 'retired' him at number 3542 -- the number of Oilers' games he called on radio.

(Incidentally, the game the program above was produced for was the night Gretzky scored his 500th goal.)

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Now, as for that ensemble Howie, jersey/sweater.... Yeah, loved it but that particular version, I thought those idiot football jersey stripes on the shoulders needed to go. Thats not hockey Man. Get it off the ice, keep it on the field, on Letter & Team Jackets etc if you must... for I have spoken..

But football stripes made Len Frig's shoulders look bigger and more imposing on the 74-76 Seals!

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Nothing like the chicken Wire/fencing in the old days.

I remember, in the early 70's, taking my man out in the corner, and he put his arm out to protect himself on the screen.

His laces weren't tied properly on his glove and got caught in the screen as we went around the corner. He suddenly jerked back and was momentarily stuck. Lucky we were young, because I couldn't believe he didn't have his shoulder pop out...

I'd like to say I felt bad about it - but I quite enjoyed his dilemma to be honest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad