News Article: More from Warren

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You guys complain when he opens his mouth, you guys complain when he keeps it shut. Just can't win...
Maybe if he had something good to say or he wasnt flat out lieing we would have something good to say. Its happening for a reason.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Even if Stone stays, I'd rather he stick with an A. Just my opinion here, but he's a strong candidate to fall off a cliff at the wrong side of 30. Putting a C on him will just give the fans something else to complain about in a few years when he's riding his monster UFA contract and his play drops. I'd rather not see yet another long-timer end up with a Phillips/Neil type ending.
Wait you dont want to make the obvious best choice captain because you have a feeling in 5 seasons he might be worse?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
As explained in Section 13(c)ii of the Standard Player Contract (SPC) [Exhibit 1 of the CBA], clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of a) settlement of the Club's final arbitration case. b) receipt of the Club's last arbitration award. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline, and for the 2018 off-season, must have a cap hit of at least $3,318,024. (capfriendly.com)

The Senators had a buyout period opened up because they were taken to arbitration, but that period has since closed. They cannot buyout Gaborik until next season (if he's healthy during any of their applicable buyout periods).

The most optimistic thing that could happen with Gaborik from the viewpoint of helping the Senators would be for him to be LTIRetired and actually insured. Due to his long injury history, if he is hurt due to a pre-existing condition, I've heard in the past that it's possible he would not be covered and the team would be on the hook for his entire salary, but I don't know for sure.

Warren mentioned the concept of tacking Gaborik on to Karlsson in a trade. That's an interesting middle ground between tacking on Ryan's contract and not adding on a cap dump contract at all. We've seen how guys have been able to essentially retire without retiring and go on LTIR in the past due to injuries that seem coincidentally suspect (Hossa's skin being unbearable once his salary drops to only 1M per season...), so a cap ceiling team would be more readily able to take Gaborik in a deal because unlike with Ryan they could put Gaborik on LTIR and get back some or all of his salary in the form of LTIR relief.

For example, in a Vegas deal for Karlsson, we know David Clarkson is insured. If Gaborik is not insured, a Gaborik for Clarkson swap would have very little cap implications for Vegas but would help Ottawa tremendously when it comes to saving cash.

Exactly what I suspected. Just another lazy article by the ignorant sportswriters in this city.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The team has been grooming him in a leadership role for quite some time. His locker was moved in the room to allow him to further be cemented as one of the leading voices of the players.

Looking at the roster post Karlsson trade, who would be the candidates?

In no particular order, Duchene, Smith, Ryan, and Borowiecki are probably the only three I can think of. Smith has been in trade rumours, and if we're ever decent Borowiecki might find himself as a healthy scratch some of the time as he's been at certain points a 7th D at the NHL level. Granted, I am not in the room, and I am going off of what we hear from news articles and reports about the team. Ryan might not be around after the Karl trade, and he seems to miss considerable time due to injuries.

To me, it seems far too obvious that Stone is next in line if Karl is traded. Obviously, there's a hitch with Stone having to be extended beyond this season. If we blow everything up, move Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson, just do a full rebuild, I could see Borowiecki or Smith as bridge captains. I don't think we want to blow it up, but our hand could be forced considering those three players are all UFAs after this season ends.
Captain_on_the_bridge.gif

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, as long as Karlsson's a Senator he's going to be the captain. If he gets traded then I would think Stone becomes captain.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Given the uncertainty around Stone, I could see Pageau being made captain if Karlsson is dealt. He's a good local boy, lots of fanfare around him, plus he seems like a guy who might take a pay cut in his prime to stick around (only, of course, to be overpaid in his twilight years).

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think we’ll run 4 A’s if Karlsson is traded.

Would definitely be my preference as well. Was my preference when Alfie left, even though I felt Spezza was pretty deserving of a chance at the C. Would have been better for everyone back then but right now the only guys on the roster who actually deserve to wear a C are Karlsson and Stone and there are obvious flight risks with both of them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Stone should be the captain, he has everything you would want in a captain & he is very well spoken with the media. I would then alternate between Duchene, Ryan, Boro, Smith & Pageau as my assistant or alternate captains although I suspect some of these guys might not be here all yr.

Reactions: BigRig4

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If the team can only afford EK plus one other Star, then we should keep Duchene and trade Stone. He'd bring a decent return as a rental and W are the easiest to replace.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
The team has been grooming him in a leadership role for quite some time. His locker was moved in the room to allow him to further be cemented as one of the leading voices of the players.

Looking at the roster post Karlsson trade, who would be the candidates?

In no particular order, Duchene, Smith, Ryan, and Borowiecki are probably the only three I can think of. Smith has been in trade rumours, and if we're ever decent Borowiecki might find himself as a healthy scratch some of the time as he's been at certain points a 7th D at the NHL level. Granted, I am not in the room, and I am going off of what we hear from news articles and reports about the team. Ryan might not be around after the Karl trade, and he seems to miss considerable time due to injuries.

To me, it seems far too obvious that Stone is next in line if Karl is traded. Obviously, there's a hitch with Stone having to be extended beyond this season. If we blow everything up, move Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson, just do a full rebuild, I could see Borowiecki or Smith as bridge captains. I don't think we want to blow it up, but our hand could be forced considering those three players are all UFAs after this season ends.

Yes, in that sense, you’re right. If things take that route, he likely would be de facto.

Personally, I would prefer Duchene. I felt it was more of a personal choice, hence why I disagreed. I’ve said it before, there’s something that turns me off about Stone. I can’t pinpoint it. I like him as a player but off the ice I just can’t get into him.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, in that sense, you’re right. If things take that route, he likely would be de facto.

Personally, I would prefer Duchene. I felt it was more of a personal choice, hence why I disagreed. I’ve said it before, there’s something that turns me off about Stone. I can’t pinpoint it. I like him as a player but off the ice I just can’t get into him.
I know a couple of people from Winnipeg who know Stone and neither think very highly of Mark. I figured it was pretty typical of all hockey players, but I'm not sure Stone is as wonderful as many here imagine.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think we should be making any of the pending UFA's captain without their signature on an extension. What would be the point if they end up needing to be dealt before the deadline?

Pageau is also a UFA in two years, so I'd be hesitant on him too, since it seems like the right time to let him walk. If Karl is traded, run with A's only imo.

That said, Duchene would be my preference over Stone if it goes there.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That's not true. Management had complete control over the situation aka the media. Murray never treated Spezza like he did alfie and when it came time to stick up for the guy he didn't. For all the heavy lifting Spezza did for this team he was never given a break. When it was clear management were never going to try and win he wanted out. He should still be the captain here now and retired a Senator.

They gave him the c when Phillips probably deserved it more. Management never publically attacked spezza. Murray just told the truth, which he always did. Even with Alfie.

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of management, but they didn't do anything terrible when it came to speeza

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They gave him the c when Phillips probably deserved it more. Management never publically attacked spezza. Murray just told the truth, which he always did. Even with Alfie.

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of management, but they didn't do anything terrible when it came to speeza
It's what management didn't do was my point. Phillips didn't deserve the C over Spezza. Phillps was just a longevity player and never a difference maker.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's what management didn't do was my point. Phillips didn't deserve the C over Spezza. Phillps was just a longevity player and never a difference maker.

Phillips was a massive difference maker for like 10 years at least.

Not sure what management should have done that they didn't with spezza aside from giving him a legit top line winger after heatley left.

The fans drove spezza out. Not management

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think we’ll run 4 A’s if Karlsson is traded.

I think ours is the kind of organization who thinks that not naming a captain after EK leaves will draw more attention to the fact that EK left in the first place, which is something they 100% want to avoid. Not having a captain paints a giant red target on management - it would be a constant reminder of how we let a generational talent leave.

I think, in the case of Karlason leaving, we will name a new captain as soon as we possibly can.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Phillips was a massive difference maker for like 10 years at least.

Not sure what management should have done that they didn't with spezza aside from giving him a legit top line winger after heatley left.

The fans drove spezza out. Not management
Edit: think it’s was a combination. Pressure of being a captain and an awful team.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I was all aboard the Stone for next Captain train if EK65 were to get traded...but I no longer see it, love him or hate him, at least Boro seems to want to take the lead with this team in it's current state (Duchene too, but don't think he's "C" material just yet either)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I was all aboard the Stone for next Captain train if EK65 were to get traded...but I no longer see it, love him or hate him, at least Boro seems to want to take the lead with this team in it's current state (Duchene too, but don't think he's "C" material just yet either)
I don't think there has even been a Captain of any team in any sport who is as bad a players as Boro. I would rather a douchie type of allstar as the captain than character 7th D, if we are talking extremes here.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I don't think there has even been a Captain of any team in any sport who is as bad a players as Boro. I would rather a *****ie type of allstar as the captain than character 7th D, if we are talking extremes here.

Derek MacKenzie
Chris Clarke
Kelly Buchburger
Andrew Ference
Randy Cunneyworth

There's a couple right there, Although I would hardly call anyone a "bad" player (Except Steve McKenna when he was the Pens Captain), they all worked their ass off stay relevant in the league . Boro is the ultimate team player, he knows exactly how to contribute to the team on and off the ice and carry himself as a professional. I would much rather have a player that can hold other guys on the team accountable in the locker room than a passive leader who can score points (Say someone like Spezza). But that's just me.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
As shown above, there have been role players as captains, it's just less common.

I always find it hard to discuss this kind of topic since we're not in the room. All we know is what is publicized, (ie the article I linked to about Stone's leadership).

With that said, I think it'd be hard to make Boro the permanent captain because it's plausible he could end up as a healthy scratch if we ever rebuilt a decent d-core. Otherwise, I don't really have an issue with a role player being captain if they are the best leader in the room. (Not saying that is or is t the case, I don't know)

Reactions: Sensung

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No one for captain if EK leaves.. If they feel the urge to name one.. I'd go with Pageau unless they can sign Stone or Duchene..
I would not give another player that could very well be gone the C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad