Status
Not open for further replies.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
The Messenger said:
OF COURSE he is looking at positions ..

I will agree that a center can be moved to the wing .. but a RW can't be moved to center and you don't move them to their off wing unless they have already done that many times before and not for a World Tournament..

Fehr is a RW and will be a RW and the position is full .. even to the point that returning players like Carter have to play the wing because of center depth..

His top 3 centers are Crosby, Richards & Getzlaf ..you fill in the wingers ..

Likely Bergeron will line-up with Crosby and Perry (player that beat out Fehr)

he shoould keep the Dawes - Richards - Stewart line in tact from last year ..

also Getzlaf and Carter played together last year so adding LADD a LW and linemate of Getzlaf makes sence ..

and the rest are 4th line energy and checkers ...

Where is the problem .. Steve Bernier a RW was not even envited to Camp because Sutter did not think he could beat out Perry and/or Fehr for THE LAST RW SPOT ...

THIS IS A TEAM .. you positions count 100% in the decision making ..

I think Carter will play center while Getzlaf plays right wing. I understand what you are saying I agree with you but Im just syaing Carter over Getzlaf when it comes to center!! Last year Carter was the center while Getzlaf was playing on the right side. :D

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
The Messenger said:

I will agree that a center can be moved to the wing .. but a RW can't be moved to center and you don't move them to their off wing unless they have already done that many times before and not for a World Tournament..

Fehr is a RW and will be a RW and the position is full .. even to the point that returning players like Carter have to play the wing because of center depth..

he shoould keep the Dawes - Richards - Stewart line in tact from last year ..

also Getzlaf and Carter played together last year so adding LADD a LW and linemate of Getzlaf makes sence ..

Where is the problem .. Steve Bernier a RW was not even envited to Camp because Sutter did not think he could beat out Perry and/or Fehr for THE LAST RW SPOT ...

THIS IS A TEAM .. you positions count 100% in the decision making ..

Bergeron has been playing center all year in Providence and all camp with Crosby on the wing.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
No. Let's pick a coach who have NHL experience and who isn't a CHL coach at the moment. This year would have been the right opportunity with the NHL lockout.

why is getting an NHL coach so important for a junior team?

Brent Sutter is a very qualified person. Heck I'm sure he would be an NHL coaching candidate if that's what he wanted to with his life

I'm much happier that Brent Sutter is coaching this team than his brother Brian-- a man who has ample NHL coaching experience

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
looooob said:
why is getting an NHL coach so important for a junior team?

Brent Sutter is a very qualified person. Heck I'm sure he would be an NHL coaching candidate if that's what he wanted to with his life

I'm much happier that Brent Sutter is coaching this team than his brother Brian-- a man who has ample NHL coaching experience

I was just trying to "resolve" the problem Canada is facing. I don't know about Sutter's coaching abilities, but he didn't impressed me with his selections, to say the least.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
The top 3 centers are Crosby, Richards and Getzlaf? Funny, because Crosby played LW in the camp.

This is a team and positions aren't part of the process. 9 of the 13 forwards are playing centers in their league. Don't tell me he worried about the positions.

Regardless .. Bergeron is a natural center as well .. maybe Crosby is on the wing for Faceoff purposes ..

TOP line

Bergeron - Crosby - XXX
Dawes - Richards - Stewart
XXX - Getzlaf - Carter

Fill in the XXX 's ..

You need 1 RW (Perry) and 1 LW (Ladd) ..end of story ..

Perry beat out Fehr for the RW spot .. he out played him in camp by a fair amount ..

Ladd plays year long with Getzlaf and did all last year .. so the choice is obvious..

If the team did not have so many returnee's .. the 3rd line could have been XXX- Stone - Fehr ... but there was NO ROOM for either the linemates and WHL scoring leaders on this team .. If Horton would have been at camp .. Ladd or Perry would also be going home ..

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Regardless .. Bergeron is a natural center as well .. maybe Crosby is on the wing for Faceoff purposes ..

TOP line

Bergeron - Crosby - XXX
XXX - Getzlaf - Carter

Fill in the XXX 's ..

Perry beat out Fehr for the RW spot .. he out played him in camp by a fair amount ..

Ladd plays year long with Getzlaf and did all last year .. so the choice is obvious..

If the team did not have so many returnee's .. the 3rd line could have been XXX- Stone - Fehr ... but there was NO ROOM for either the linemates and WHL scoring leaders on this team .. If Horton would have been at camp .. Ladd or Perry would also be going home ..

Who said the lines would look like that? Maybe Dawes-Stewart-Richards won't be re-united like you think.

Look, Sidney Crosby said it. In the offensive zone, Canada will play the 1st/2nd/3rd forward system. But you probably don't even know what it is anyway.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
markov` said:
Who said the lines would look like that? Maybe Dawes-Stewart-Richards won't be re-united like you think.

Look, Sidney Crosby said it. In the offensive zone, Canada will play the 1st/2nd/3rd forward system. But you probably don't even know what it is anyway.

I don't understand why arguably the best line in last year's tournament would not be kept together.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:

What does that got to do with anything ... You are making yourself look worse by the moment ..

Regarless if the Richards -Dawes - Stewart lines stays together .. which apparently you are the 1 in a 1,000,000 that thinks last years best line should be torn appart .. They are all returnees ..guaranteed to make the team so which line they play on does not matter .. Stewart is a RW .. he is guaranteed .. Fehr had ZERO percent chance of beating him out for a spot ...

The System that they are playing is irrelevant .. a center and a winger have different responsibilities within a system .. a RW does not automatically become a LW when he is the first one in to forcheck..

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
a RW does not automatically become a LW when he is the first one in to forcheck..

In Canada's system, yes. Look, Sidney Crosby said it. It is a fact. The defensive responsabilities aren't the same, but this is not a big deal. You think I am making myself look worse but my arguments are FACTS. Ok, maybe the Dawes-Richards-Stewart line worked last year, yes they will probably play together, but you can't fill your roster by making your lines before. You select the best players available, and you set your lines after. That's what Sutter did, because like I said, 9 of the 13 forwards are centers.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
jcpenny said:
Fehr i can live with but Bolland i have a tough time accepting it.

I think Bolland didn't make it cause of his age.. He can play two ways but I think Fraser being a Sutter favorite took his spot.. either way there both solid players..

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Messenger said:

TOP line

Bergeron - Crosby - XXX
XXX - Getzlaf - Carter

Fill in the XXX 's ..

Im sory but based on his play this year and at camp, Ladd has no buisness on this team, end of story. I beleive he's only there for chemistry reasons and thats it. Fraser and McArthur weren't very good at camp either yet there on the team as well, I don't agree with this at all. Boyd and Bolland should of made it over these 2 and Ladd.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
ktownhockey said:
I think Bolland didn't make it cause of his age.. He can play two ways but I think Fraser being a Sutter favorite took his spot.. either way there both solid players..
Agreed, ditto for Boyd they were 2 of the best players at camp

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
HabsFanFromPEI said:
why is bollard so good?

Plays a style similar to Mike Richards and can put the puck in the net.. maybe not quite the leader though

would have been nice to have him over Ladd or McArthur just because he is just as good and is an 86

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
surixon said:
Agreed, ditto for Boyd they were 2 of the best players at camp

Yeah I think they should have taken Bolland and Boyd Opposed to Macarthur and Ladd...

LAdd for his performance this season and McArthur because I think an 86 bday would be better for his spot..

Albeit I don't know THAT much about Macarthur.... can some gimme a quick scouting report.. I heard he was OK at camp but nothing spectacular??

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
From McKeens...

Smallish forward with a big heart has gone from being undrafted in the WHL Bantam Draft to one of the few bright spots for the Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) in his rookie campaign. Has great vision and decision making skills making him very dangerous quarterbacking a powerplay. He is very quick, with good forward acceleration and mobility. Makes moves at top speed which forces opposition defensemen to back off. Great stick-handler allows him to rag the puck when he needs to kill time. MacArthur has soft hands and a quick release, including a deceptively hard slap shot. More of a perimeter player as he doesn’t go to the net often and when he does tends to get pushed around. Defensive part of the game still needs work, but like most areas of his game is improving.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Anyone surprised with Quincey as a choice for the team....

I like him in the OHL... and I know he's a pretty good team guy (my friend played with him last year) but I think him making this team was a real long shot.. I m happy he did though... Even though he is a tenative member based on Brent Seabrookes injury

Im glad he's there.... and there is a little more OHL flavour BUT what is the general consensus from people who know what their talking about???

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
markov` said:
From McKeens...

Smallish forward with a big heart has gone from being undrafted in the WHL Bantam Draft to one of the few bright spots for the Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) in his rookie campaign. Has great vision and decision making skills making him very dangerous quarterbacking a powerplay. He is very quick, with good forward acceleration and mobility. Makes moves at top speed which forces opposition defensemen to back off. Great stick-handler allows him to rag the puck when he needs to kill time. MacArthur has soft hands and a quick release, including a deceptively hard slap shot. More of a perimeter player as he doesn’t go to the net often and when he does tends to get pushed around. Defensive part of the game still needs work, but like most areas of his game is improving.

Based on this MacArthur sounds alright.... but is this the type of player Canada really needed????? Sutter must have had his sights set on him before the camp started .... Im not mad he's on the team.. I just hope he contributes to put alot of second guessing to rest.... I'd say he would be the next forward behind Ladd who people will second guess...

Well Id reather Bolland then Ladd and MacArthur BUTTTTTT for now GO MACARTHUR

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
In Canada's system, yes. Look, Sidney Crosby said it. It is a fact. The defensive responsabilities aren't the same, but this is not a big deal. You think I am making myself look worse but my arguments are FACTS. Ok, maybe the Dawes-Richards-Stewart line worked last year, yes they will probably play together, but you can't fill your roster by making your lines before. You select the best players available, and you set your lines after. That's what Sutter did, because like I said, 9 of the 13 forwards are centers.

We all know centers can play wing who is going to argue that .. but Eric Fehr is not a center he is a RW .. So he is going to only likely play RW ..

Your best player theory is wrong on many levels .. What happens if all of a sudden you take the best players and say they invited Bernier to camp .. Then you have 3 RW as your third line .. Bernier, Perry and Fehr .. Now what do you do ?? break up your other lines to compensate for this ,,

and second are you new to international or tournament play ... .Team Canada at the Olympics and World Cup did not take the 13 best forward .. They built a team .. because Hockey is a team game ..

This is no different and players have roles and the coach knows as do the players what that is ... to help this TEAM win ...

Eric Fehr is not a 4th line grinding winger so he has to make the team as a top 9 forward ..

With
1) Bergeron and NHL almost a guarantee
2) Crosby
3) Richards
4) Stewart
5) Dawes
6) Getzlaf
7) Carter

all returning plyers

that left 2 openings for offensive forwards to fill .. Perry a RW and OHL scoring leader and one of the best in Camp won his job for the 8th spot ..

So you have 1 spot to chose from all the kids in NA for Canadian kids .. So you pick that one player .. If you think its Fehr .. Fine .. but Sutter didn't so YOU LOSE ...

Its that simple and once Sutter started putting units together and lines he saw which piece of the puzzle fit best and decided since he has more than enough Centers to fill 2 teams he picked a RW PERRY and a LW LADD .. to complete his roster .. I hardly see an reason for Sutters logic to be called into question here ..

Last edited:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Based on this MacArthur sounds alright.... but is this the type of player Canada really needed????? Sutter must have had his sights set on him before the camp started .... Im not mad he's on the team.. I just hope he contributes to put alot of second guessing to rest.... I'd say he would be the next forward behind Ladd who people will second guess...

Well Id reather Bolland then Ladd and MacArthur BUTTTTTT for now GO MACARTHUR

IMO Ladd and Fraser are awful picks. MacArthur is bad too, but not Ladd or Fraser bad.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
We all know centers can play wing who is going to argue that .. but Eric Fehr is not a center he is a RW .. So he is going to only likely play RW ..

Your best player theory is wrong on many levels .. What happens if all of a sudden you take the best players and say they invited Bernier to camp .. Then you have 3 RW as your third line .. Bernier, Perry and Fehr .. Now what do you do ?? break up your other lines to compensate for this ,,

and second are you new to international or tournament play ... .Team Canada at the Olympics and World Cup did not take the 13 best forward .. The built a team ..

This is no different players have roles and the coach knows as do the players what that is ...

Eric Fehr is not a 4th line grinding winger so he has to make the team as a top 9 forward ..

With
1) Bergeron and NHL almost a guarantee
2) Crosby
3) Richards
4) Stewart
5) Dawes
6) Getzlaf
7) Carter

that left 2 openings for offensive forwards to fill .. Perry a RW and OHL scoring leader and one of the best in Camp won his job for the 8th spot ..

So you have 1 spot to chose from all the kids in NA for Canadian kids .. So you pick that one player .. If you think its Fehr .. Fine .. but Sutter didn't so YOU LOSE ...

Its that simple and once Sutter started putting units together and lines he saw which piece of the puzzle fit best and decided since he has more than enough Centers to fill 2 teams he picked a RW PERRY and a LW LADD .. to complete his roster .. I hardly see an reason for Sutters logic to be called into question here ..

Just shut up. Lol. I'd rather have Eric Fehr as an LW than Andrew Ladd.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Messenger said:

he should keep the Dawes - Richards - Stewart line in tact from last year ..

also Getzlaf and Carter played together last year so adding LADD a LW and linemate of Getzlaf makes sence, for chemistry purposes in a short tourney.

THIS IS A TEAM .. your positions count 100% in the decision making ..

a 6 year old school girl could fill out this roster .. Where is the problem with all the returnee's there is hardly any guess work at all here ..

Carter played center last year on that line, and he's probably the best face off man on this team, so there is no reason he won't be returning there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brock said:
Carter played center last year on that line, and he's probably the best face off man on this team, so there is no reason he won't be returning there.

Agreed

You can flip Carter and Getzlaf .. You can flip Crosby and Bergeron ..

Corry Perry is a RW .. Anthony Stewart is a RW ... NO need to flip anything here ..

Point being no matter how you flip them it doesn't increase available roster spots for Fehr !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed ??

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
The Messenger said:
Agreed

Corry Perry is a RW .. Anthony Stewart is a RW ... NO need to flip anything here ..

Point being no matter how you flip them it doesn't increase available roster spots for Fehr !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed ??

Agreed :D

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Agreed

Agreed ??

If it was necessary, Sutter would have moved Fehr to the left or another RW. He felt it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad