Speculation: More coming soon from TB?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004

On the Nesterov Deal from Last Night.
"Tampa Bay has been one of the constants in terms of teams in the trade rumor mill, so perhaps this deal will spark more movement from Yzerman.

“This could be the tip of the iceberg. There’s no question about that, ” indicated NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman during a Friday morning appearance on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960.

On Bishop:
“I’m curious about the chain reaction, as you said. I think there’s a chance… I know the guys in Montreal – I’m talking about the media – believe this could mean a guy like Nathan Beaulieu becomes available. And in Tampa, yes, I do think that Yzerman is going to look around. I kind of wonder if this weekend, or soon, we don’t start hearing Ben Bishop’s name. I think Tampa knows they’re not going to re-sign him. The way it’s gone this year for Bishop, it’s probably costing him money at this point. And I think there’s a feeling that it’s going to be better for both of those guys if the goalie situation clears up. Send Bishop somewhere else, give him a fresh start. It could pick him up and get going, giving him a good run into free agency. And it gives Vasilevskiy the net, making sure he knows it’s his. Because he’s Tampa’s goalie of the future, and they’ve got to let him play.

‘So I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we start hearing Bishop’s name and he might be moved soon.”

Last edited:

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
can i ask for the first deal to be Boyle to Edmonton!

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It makes sense to move Bishop. In the beginning of the year, I had Tampa pegged for cup favorites, and it would have been better for them to keep Bishop to go on a deep run. But with the way things are now, their main focus is getting into the playoffs, and if not, getting something for Bishop instead of losing him for free. If they can package him for some defensive help or a high draft pick, its a good move.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Cap dumps are kind of what's needed from this team honestly. If we can find ways to clear Filppula, Garrison, Coburn and God willing Callahan, that would probably be bigger than any asset we receive in return.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Good chance most do, I'm sure there will be a lot of chatter this weekend.

This.

I'd say a good portion of deadline deals start on ASG weekend.

Yes, GMs talk on the phone all the time. But it's a different animal to size up your "opponent" in real time.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers would be all over that guy, if they could get a $1 to 2M retention (obviously they would pay for that in any deal)

This.

Flip would be a solid acquisition...down side is hes under contract still...and has a NTC so I think the Oilers would forced to protect him , no?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
This.

Flip would be a solid acquisition...down side is hes under contract still...and has a NTC so I think the Oilers would forced to protect him , no?

In theory, yes; in practice probably not.

He only has one year left on his deal so Vegas could only take him for one of two purposes: either to flip him to another team, or to have him play with them for a year in the hopes that they can talk him into staying when his contract runs out. The problem with the former is that even if he waives his NMC for the draft, it immediately becomes effective again once he is on Vegas' roster - meaning that he would be able to block trades to the extent allowed by his NMC, thus making it difficult to impossible for Vegas to flip him. As for the latter given his age and that he probably wants to win another championship before he's done he could simply tell Vegas up front that if taken he would not resign with them once his contract is up. In short he (and other players with NMCs and only one year of term on their contracts) could easily waive his NMC for the draft with almost no chance that Vegas would take him, simply by declaring his intention to sabotage any attempt to trade him and to leave after a year.

Now there's still the question of whether or not he'd be willing to take the small but still theoretically possible risk that Vegas would spend a draft pick on a player they'd have a hard time moving and would only have for one year. But that could be discussed before a trade with Tampa to acquire him.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This.

Wouldn't matter anyways, we have 1 forward spot available if we do protect 7 forwards 3 defensemen and 1 goalie.

Lucic
Nuge
Eberle
Maroon
Draisaitl
Letestu

Larsson
Klefbom
Sekera

Talbot

Kassian is RFA and doubt LV would take him. Pouliot and Davidson would be exposed. McDavid, Caggiula, Pulju, Benning, and Nurse all exempt. We can afford to protect 1 more forward. Most Oilers fans believe we are going 7-3-1 in the expansion draft so we can afford to add forwards. Defensemen would be nice too but most likely rentals would be the way to go for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad