Moose Jaw Warriors suspend 4 players indefinietly

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Looks like WHL / Calgary crew doesn't fool around - pay attention Hockey Canada. Maybe a shot to the league players , "we're a business, give us a black eye we will elbow you into next year..... before the facts come out."
Are cops involved yet? This sounds like really bad PR is incoming, lets get out front before the press finds out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Looks like WHL / Calgary crew doesn't fool around - pay attention Hockey Canada. Maybe a shot to the league players , "we're a business, give us a black eye we will elbow you into next year..... before the facts come out."
Are cops involved yet? This sounds like really bad PR is incoming, lets get out front before the press finds out.
Howell and Lakovic would both be subject to the young offenders act (if applicable here) which has been renamed and I believe that names can't be mentioned either if its a worst case scenario.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
So vague and cryptic.

Good on the league for making a public statement, but it would have been relevant to include at least some hint as to what this is regarding.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
The lockdown on info coming out after 48 hours is impressive. Moose Jaw must have some sports press that will dig around the team but zilch so far. No police file even. Maybe the WHL cops found out about something and just shut it down, pronto.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Howell and Lakovic would both be subject to the young offenders act (if applicable here) which has been renamed and I believe that names can't be mentioned either if its a worst case scenario.

Lets say it is worse case scenario, could they be unnamed in a potential lawsuit or criminal charges but the team says they were suspended for undisclosed reasons? That's a weird situation.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lets say it is worse case scenario, could they be unnamed in a potential lawsuit or criminal charges but the team says they were suspended for undisclosed reasons? That's a weird situation.

I hope for everyone's sake that it isn't a worst case scenario.

Mar 12, 2009
If the police are investigating what they've been made aware of, the organizations legal counsel will definitely advise not saying anything until the investigation (and/or at least their participation in it) is over.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Team source - not MJ - said there is video - of course. Turning down more the morals lane vs the criminal lane.

But the distinction probably is moot at this point.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Team source - not MJ - said there is video - of course. Turning down more the morals lane vs the criminal lane.

But the distinction probably is moot at this point.

Hearing involved a female, not sure if correct just speculation.

4 WHL players on a roadtrip in Edmonton.....its the only thing I can think of that would result in four indefinite suspensions. Especially with the bad press hockey is getting already.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I ”heard” that was a racism incident maybe within the team. *shrug*. Not a reliable source.

”The WHL's Standard of Conduct includes policies on racial and derogatory comments, abuse, bullying, harrasment, hazing, social media and networking, personal conduct as well as diversity and inclusion.”

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
How has nothing leaked out about this yet?!?
The lock down from the club and the league and players is impressive . And no police file or press release leads me to believe they have a family/victim/participant(s) that have zero intention to assist investigation. Safe to assume a minor is key individual.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The lock down from the club and the league and players is impressive . And no police file or press release leads me to believe they have a family/victim/participant(s) that have zero intention to assist investigation. Safe to assume a minor is key individual.
I don't think the bolded can be assumed just yet. If you have ever tried to get information from Canadian police during an active investigation, you would know that their standard procedure is to say nothing unless they need public assistance or until their investigation is complete. At the same time, cops, once dragged into an investigation, are remarkably reluctant to let it go even if the victim(s) are uncooperative. All of this, plus the fact that the police don't do things at lightning speed (thoroughness + high caseload + tactical patience maybe?) and it's not unusual this is still a going concern.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
It is near impossible to keep things out of the media, yet the league got this incident locked down tight - impressive. So not criminal, only a $25K fine, the young guys will play again. The video was destroyed. We can only speculate. Something awfully embarrassing, consensual but way out of bounds for league image.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad