Monty's next contract

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Any particular one you saw you wanted a breakdown of?

the one that he tweeted about last comes to mind. The Tweet says "Montour doesn't see his new bridge deal with the Ducks as an impediment to a longer future with the club". just curious if there's anything interesting in there that we don't already know.

also, should give props where it's due. I think ES was first one to break the Montour signing. he hasn't done much news breaking in recent memory.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
the arbitration is a good point. I personally think that the deal he got is definitely more than he would have been awarded in the arbitration case. I think he would have been given a 2-2.5 aav on a 2 year deal by the arbitrator at most. The question is, is the extra money worth avoiding arbitration? Clearly Murray thought it was, and I can fully understand why he would feel that way.

Arbitration is reportedly a very nasty thing. Usually players are criticized to the point of wanting to leave as soon as they have ufa.

If I was the gm, I would pay a bit extra not to spill blood.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
the one that he tweeted about last comes to mind. The Tweet says "Montour doesn't see his new bridge deal with the Ducks as an impediment to a longer future with the club". just curious if there's anything interesting in there that we don't already know.

also, should give props where it's due. I think ES was first one to break the Montour signing. he hasn't done much news breaking in recent memory.

Honestly it didn’t have a hell of a lot more than the article on the Ducks site. Stephens did mention the Ducks certainly weren’t willing to pay him more than Manson at this point which I guess is a big reason why Montour is willing to take the short term and bet on himself. The article did mention all terms were considered but implied it was always going to be a short deal. There was a comment from Murray that he found it hard to find good comparables to Montour due to his sample of games played.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duck Off

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
As a subscriber, I can confirm they are good articles. You should subscribe too, so that the website (which has a on of other good content) stays in business.

With a student email it’s only $30. I used mine and I graduated in 2009. God I’m old

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He’s really backing himself, I like his attitude in that article. I think he will get paid in a couple of years. I wonder which one of our top 4 we will expose when Seattle comes about.
I expect we'll end up cutting a deal so Seattle don't pick any of our top 4. But gun to head - having to pick one of our top 4 to be exposed, you'd have to say Fowler would be the odd one out (especially with his near NMC-esque contract). But like I said, I expect we'll end up cutting a deal.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
He’s really backing himself, I like his attitude in that article. I think he will get paid in a couple of years. I wonder which one of our top 4 we will expose when Seattle comes about.

They'd be fools to expose any of them. Either trade one away or cut a deal with Seattle.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I expect we'll end up cutting a deal so Seattle don't pick any of our top 4. But gun to head - having to pick one of our top 4 to be exposed, you'd have to say Fowler would be the odd one out (especially with his near NMC-esque contract). But like I said, I expect we'll end up cutting a deal.

At that point there's a chance we have a decent gap between how we value the 4 D and whoever would be the odd forward out in a 4+4+1 scenario.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Trade one of them for a young, high end center prospect and let some of our young defensemen fight it out for a d spot. If we moved Fowler that would free up a ton of cap to resign our guys.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Fowler would be my choice to be moved if it was after this season

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Fowler is untradable due to his almost full NTC. He is however able to be exposed in an expansion draft. Depending on how the next two years go it could be a good way to get out from under that contract.

It would be a shame to lose a guy who would have been on the team for something like ten years by that point and still signed for more, but it may end up being the best financial option given the fact that we will likely have multiple younger players fighting for minutes on the left side of our defense by then. It's pretty far out to say right now but exposing him may not be the worst of all of our options. I wouldn't like seeing his tenure in Anaheim end that way though and would prefer to trade him or someone else if whatever we would get back would be exempt from the expansion draft. We may not be hampered by NMC as much this time around but we will likely have more core players that will need protection so I think I would still prefer to see Murray do a deal with Seattle.

Montour and Fowler are similar pretty much

Similar in some respects for sure, but different in a very big way. Montour is a RHD which we have few of in our system, while Fowler is LHD. We already have Lindholm holding down top pairing minutes on that side, with Larsson, Pettersson, and Mahura in the pipeline. I'm sure those guys could be slotted on the right side easily enough but if even two of them have become everyday NHLers by the time the draft rolls around it might give Murray a financial reason (cap savings) to move Fowler or expose him in the draft.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out once it is time. I just hope this time around he is not shy about buyouts because I would hate to see a protected spot be used on Perry if the draft is before the last year of his contract. Kesler too for that matter, but that could be a whole different thing given his injury status.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I am guessing they could buy out Perry and Kesler so they dont have to waste a protected spot. At that point it wont be as much of a buy out.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
As sick as the Lindholm-Manson pairing is, Lindholm-Montour and Fowler-Manson gives both pairings a strong puck-carrying defenseman and a strong shutdown defenseman. They're all pretty good defensively as well as can contribute offensively but I think having both of our top shutdown defensemen on the same line made it hard for Monty and Fowler to really free up their offensive tendencies.
Hampus and Josh are like Tallinder-Lydman. No reason to ever break them up unless a miracle happens when one is injured. Does suck having Cam with Monty tho. In this era though, who knows. They def want another Bieksa not Bieksa to put beside Cam. Where's that leave Monty tho?? Seems like a prob for a coach more modern than RC to negotiate.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Hampus and Josh are like Tallinder-Lydman. No reason to ever break them up unless a miracle happens when one is injured. Does suck having Cam with Monty tho. In this era though, who knows. They def want another Bieksa not Bieksa to put beside Cam. Where's that leave Monty tho?? Seems like a prob for a Coach more modern than RC to negotiate.
Just plain lol that Fowlers contract could be an albatross, and that Monty and Fowler are similar. If Monty learns to play suck ya in and pass it off like Fowler the league would create an illegal defense rule. No one in the league makes the forward go to the least favorable spot on the ice before he passes it off than Cam. That's why he's the most boring 3 on 3 player there is, even though we know he can pinch very well.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I've been a huge proponent of Lindholm Monty pairing since they were so dominant together 2 post seasons ago but I will say Lindholm Manson was completely dominant last year and Fowler Montour started to really look crazy dangerous offensively last year at the end when they started clicking. Fowler Montour was super fun to watch and they played this hyper aggressive style that teams didn't know how to defend against because they both were so aggressive to move the puck up but both could get back in time to cover defensively. I'd be curious to see how that pairing evolves because their potential together is very very high

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I've been a huge proponent of Lindholm Monty pairing since they were so dominant together 2 post seasons ago but I will say Lindholm Manson was completely dominant last year and Fowler Montour started to really look crazy dangerous offensively last year at the end when they started clicking. Fowler Montour was super fun to watch and they played this hyper aggressive style that teams didn't know how to defend against because they both were so aggressive to move the puck up but both could get back in time to cover defensively. I'd be curious to see how that pairing evolves because their potential together is very very high

I agree. For a second pairing, Fowler Montour is solid. Montour has a little bully in him, so I wouldn’t be concerned about toughness. Between Schenn, the other gentle giant, Pettersson and Larsson I think they’ll find a solid bottom pair.

Hopefully our offense can score enough

imjustzach

May 9, 2018

I definitely agree that watching the Fowler-Monty transition game last year was exhilarating. I guess my main concern is that the Fowler-Monty pairing lacks size and they were punished for it.

Fowler is a technique-first defenseman who excels at taking good angles and Monty plays a surprisingly heavy game for his size. That being said, they had trouble clearing the front of the net and that was a weakness that was very apparent last season.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
It could be a trend setting pairing, but we don't have the management to make that happen(think Housley). Bob said he wants another Josh, I presume to fit beside Cam. If Cam-Monty is in stink, then we're a scary team alone on our top 4. Just overconfident management won't even let it happen.

The Ducks have survived on cycle and set plays forever. Josh-Hampus; Cam-Monty will keep our set play style good for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad