Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Our top four's cap numbers:

Cam: 6.5
Hampus: 5.2
Manson: 4.1
Montour: 3.4

Total: 19.2

Still don't like Cams so much but overall a good structure.

In cash next season is:

Fowler: 7.5m
Hampus: 6.75m
Josh: 3.25m
Monty:3.25m

We're not making big splashes due to it.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I like it. Higher than I expected, which is a sign Anaheim gave in on their side - always good to maintain a good relationship with Montour.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Disappointed. I don’t hate it but a 2 year bridge should have been in 2-3 year range imo. Whatever though, not bad or anything. Disappointed because normally rfa signings are where Murray hits homeruns. This is definitely not a homerun. Glad he’s signed though.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Disappointed. I don’t hate it but a 2 year bridge should have been in 2-3 year range imo. Whatever though, not bad or anything. Disappointed because normally rfa signings are where Murray hits homeruns. This is definitely not a homerun. Glad he’s signed though.
Monty's learned from Rakell and Lindholm.

Those silly gullible Swedes.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

With Kesler and Eaves in the limbo and Ritchie plus Kase unsigned Monty had a lot of leverage. Arbitration may have been 1 year only.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Wow, I was way off and wrong, that’s much higher than I thought he would get. I think he will be worth it but I also think he hadn’t done enough to get those numbers yet.

Good for Monty.

Reactions: Duck Off

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
With Kesler and Eaves in the limbo and Ritchie plus Jade unsigned Monty had a lot of leverage. Arbitration may have been 1 year only.

Arbitration would have been two, the side that doesn’t elect to go to arbitration gets to pick the term.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Good considering what could happen in arbitration, he put up some great numbers.

Let’s hope he continues to progress and is more opportunistic rather than neutered or free silly.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hell be our second best defensemen by the end of next year

Reactions: Getz2perry

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Hopefully ;-) should be paired with Hampus.

As sick as the Lindholm-Manson pairing is, Lindholm-Montour and Fowler-Manson gives both pairings a strong puck-carrying defenseman and a strong shutdown defenseman. They're all pretty good defensively as well as can contribute offensively but I think having both of our top shutdown defensemen on the same line made it hard for Monty and Fowler to really free up their offensive tendencies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s really backing himself, I like his attitude in that article. I think he will get paid in a couple of years. I wonder which one of our top 4 we will expose when Seattle comes about.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A bridge deal that makes sense, but his next contract will be worth more than double I expect. Maybe we will have to trade him in 2 years if cap space is an issue and the other young d-men develop well.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

You are mistaken. A 2 year deal means that Montour will be a restricted FA when the bridge deal is up. This means the Ducks have a bit of leverage to negotiate a longer term deal with him at that point. A 3 year deal would have meant he was an unrestricted FA and the ducks would have risked losing him for nothing. The 2 year term is absolutely correct - the AAV is arguably high.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
You are mistaken. A 2 year deal means that Montour will be a restricted FA when the bridge deal is up. This means the Ducks have a bit of leverage to negotiate a longer term deal with him at that point. A 3 year deal would have meant he was an unrestricted FA and the ducks would have risked losing him for nothing. The 2 year term is absolutely correct - the AAV is arguably high.

Sorry I was talking about the aav. I said a 2 year deal should have been in the 2-3 million per year range.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I think he meant to say 2-3 for the AAV, considering he mentioned the term a few words before. And it might seem like a little high for a bridge, but this isn't a normal bridge contract for a player coming off his ELC. Since Montour was drafted at 20, he is eligible for arbitration immediately after his ELC, and since BM hates arbitration (as he should), he was willing to up the AAV to avoid it.

EDIT: Duck Off already corrected it.

Reactions: Duck Off
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think he meant to say 2-3 for the AAV, considering he mentioned the term a few words before. And it might seem like a little high for a bridge, but this isn't a normal bridge contract for a player coming off his ELC. Since Montour was drafted at 20, he is eligible for arbitration immediately after his ELC, and since BM hates arbitration (as he should), he was willing to up the AAV to avoid it.

EDIT: Duck Off already corrected it.
Exactly. Montour was arbitration eligible, unlike the situation for most of Murray's RFA magic. He let Muffins walk rather than negotiate with arbitration hanging over him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

the arbitration is a good point. I personally think that the deal he got is definitely more than he would have been awarded in the arbitration case. I think he would have been given a 2-2.5 aav on a 2 year deal by the arbitrator at most. The question is, is the extra money worth avoiding arbitration? Clearly Murray thought it was, and I can fully understand why he would feel that way.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
There’s been a few articles written by the athletic. Any subscribers feel like shedding some light on those?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad