Monty's next contract

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Two is better than one under the actual circumstances. We will have a much better understanding what Larsson, Pettersson and Mahura can bring to the table then.

Monty will get a lot and I would not hand him the money now. He still has some major holes to fill.

Not the best situation for the club.

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
On my phone so excuse the format:

@FriedgeHNIC: Arbitration asks for Brandon Montour — team requests two-year deal with an AAV of $1.5M. Player ask is one year at $4.75M. @Icemancometh reported yesterday that Bob Murray said the two sides are working on a bridge deal

That's some gap there!

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Guess he really expects to break out next season, got a ton of confidence in himself.
It's the right move for him. Even if he just stays the same as last year, he'll be able to get more money in a couple years.

The only way this doesn't work out well for him is if he gets injured, which is a possibility (Despres)

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Looks like he's following the same path Vatanen did. I don't think it's going to matter in the end, if anything we should get a little cap relief with this bridge before signing him to a longer term deal.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Friedman said team wants a 1.5 AAV and Monty wants a 4.75 AAV. That’s a pretty big difference.

Sorry just saw that was already posted.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well I really hope I wake up to a 2 year deal with a 3-3.5 AAV. Don't want it to get to arbitration at all.

If he gets a 2 year deal I don’t think he will get close to that. Even if it goes to arbitration I can’t see him getting over $2.5M

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Why do you think he will not get this at 2y? Anything around 3m will be ok for me. Lower would be cool.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Why do you think he will not get this at 2y? Anything around 3m will be ok for me. Lower would be cool.

Because looking at comparables I cant see him getting that much. Pulock who is very similar statistically although admittedly a slightly worse player got $2M. Vatanen when he signed got only 1.26M (the equivalent of roughly 1.5M with today’s cap) and he was playing at a similar level to Montour coming out of his ELC. Trouba got an average of 3.0M on a bridge coming out of his ELC and he was significantly better then than Montour is now. Krug got 1.4M coming off a 40 point year (equivalent of $1.65M with current cap).

Murray has his flaws but is among the best at negotiating with RFAs. He will go into arbitration having done his homework and knowing who the comparables are who help keep Monty’s cap hit down.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Because looking at comparables I cant see him getting that much. Pulock who is very similar statistically although admittedly a slightly worse player got $2M. Vatanen when he signed got only 1.26M (the equivalent of roughly 1.5M with today’s cap) and he was playing at a similar level to Montour coming out of his ELC. Trouba got an average of 3.0M on a bridge coming out of his ELC and he was significantly better then than Montour is now. Krug got 1.4M coming off a 40 point year (equivalent of $1.65M with current cap).

Murray has his flaws but is among the best at negotiating with RFAs. He will go into arbitration having done his homework and knowing who the comparables are who help keep Monty’s cap hit down.

Quality post, thx!

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Our top four's cap numbers:

Cam: 6.5
Hampus: 5.2
Manson: 4.1
Montour: 3.4

Total: 19.2