Prospect Info: Montreal's OHL Prospect Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brock, any doubt in your mind that if Hillis remained healthy this year and continued on the pace he was at in his previous 10ish games before the injuries started that he would be #2 on your list here?

More than likely, yes. But Hillis and McShane are close. I think they have similar upsides as middle six forwards, with McShane having better puck skill/creativity and Hillis having a bit more jam/tenacity to his game. Both have limitations as skaters too.

Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
More than likely, yes. But Hillis and McShane are close. I think they have similar upsides as middle six forwards, with McShane having better puck skill/creativity and Hillis having a bit more jam/tenacity to his game. Both have limitations as skaters too.

For me, the way Hillis plays and his vision/IQ.. I would put Hillis the more likely of the two to make it, in spite of the skating concerns.. but obviously that changes if Hillis can't stay on the ice.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Hillis and McShane are close, I give the edge to Hillis for several reasons, I think his skating is better, his overall game is better, and he wants it more as McShane looks too passive out at times and certainly doesn't move his feet enough which is just something that is a red flag for me. I'm not sure who's more creative with the puck, I would lean towards Hillis but I think it's close. The one area McShane really has over Hillis is his shot, it's certainly good and Hillis needs to work on his.

I hope they found a hidden gem in LeGurerrier and didn't just take him because they needed LD's. He turns 19 2 months into next season so unless they want him in the OHL as an overager, he'll only spend 1 more year in the OHL. He'll need to step up the offense from the looks of his numbers but I don't know anything about him as I haven't seen him play yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is my annual look at Montreal's OHL prospects. Always willing to answer any questions.

OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days - Montreal Canadiens

I know you thought the LeGuerrier pick was a sleeper, I haven't had much of a chance to see him this year other then 1 game, what do you think of him so far this season and what do you think the Habs do with him, let him play next year as an over-ager or is he good enough to turn pro as the Habs might not have room for him in Laval with the 50 contract limit and so many possible incoming rookies like Hillis and others.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just saw that the Soo are supposed to be getting the Memorial Cup next year so I guess that makes him returning to the OHL much much more likely then.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I know you thought the LeGuerrier pick was a sleeper, I haven't had much of a chance to see him this year other then 1 game, what do you think of him so far this season and what do you think the Habs do with him, let him play next year as an over-ager or is he good enough to turn pro as the Habs might not have room for him in Laval with the 50 contract limit and so many possible incoming rookies like Hillis and others.

I think he's had an OK year. His progression hasn't been quite as steep as I had anticipated this year. The development of Robert Calisti as an offensive defender and the acquisition of Constantinou has blocked LeGuerrier from receiving more offensive responsibility like I thought he would.

As a puck carrier, he still flashes potential to involve himself more, but decision making errors are still a part of his game. Defensively, he's been pretty solid, but again, consistency has been an issue (has been the case for most of the Greyhounds).

I would be shocked if he is not back in the OHL next year and at this point, is probably going to need to take a bigger step forward as an OA to get a contract from Montreal.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

My annual look at Montreal's OHL prospects. A view short videos in that twitter thread too.

Happy to answer any further questions.

Thank you for this. Your thoughts on Allan McShane and if he was worth signing?

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020

My annual look at Montreal's OHL prospects. A view short videos in that twitter thread too.

Great write-up; if Hillis ends up a high-end 3rd line center, that would be terrific.

What did you think of McShane this year? Did he improve from his D+1? I was disappointed the team didn't sign him, there's some potential there IMO

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

You've been fairly high on LeGuerrier, pretty much from the time he came into the OHL . In your opinion, is there still some untapped potential left in his game ? He's got a decent toolbox all told (size, mobility) and he has shown an advanced defensive game, pretty much from the get-go with the Greyhounds . What separates him from doing the same thing at the next level ? He's from my neck of the woods and I'm pulling for him to at least get an ELC but I don't know if he's done enough to get that ATM. Thanks !

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thank you for this. Your thoughts on Allan McShane and if he was worth signing?
(and @RandomTask26 because you had the same question)

I think that ultimately Montreal made the right choice in not offering an ELC to McShane. He's certainly a strong junior player, and a kid with a fair amount of hockey sense. But the skating never really improved, and given his size and style of play, to me it's unlikely that his skill set would translate. A lot of is damage is done from the perimeter and he's among the lowest (if you're into analytics) in percentage of challenges won for NHL drafted forwards in the OHL (46.7%). Additionally, his passes completed percentage is also among the lowest, which is a testament to him having to rush plays because he lacks the strength to be more selective/patient with the puck. When he's got open ice, he's dangerous. But when pressured, he can be easily neutralized. He could certainly have a huge year next year with Oshawa, given the projected strength of their team, but in the end, until some of the physical tools improve, he's not a likely NHL (or even strong AHL) player IMO.

Reactions: montreal

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
You've been fairly high on LeGuerrier, pretty much from the time he came into the OHL . In your opinion, is there still some untapped potential left in his game ? He's got a decent toolbox all told (size, mobility) and he has shown an advanced defensive game, pretty much from the get-go with the Greyhounds . What separates him from doing the same thing at the next level ? He's from my neck of the woods and I'm pulling for him to at least get an ELC but I don't know if he's done enough to get that ATM. Thanks !

It will all come down to his decision making with the puck and overall awareness as an offensive player. You can be a strong defensive player, but if you're a liability with the puck and can't make quick enough decisions, then you won't survive an NHL forecheck or be able to keep the puck out of the defensive end. I think that if he can really hone in on that skill next year as an OA, he has a chance to earn an ELC. But, otherwise, I'm just not sure his skill set has rounded out enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad