Value of: Montreal's expiring contracts

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Cap considerations mean we can't be keeping everyone, though. And Armia isn't cheap for a guy who ends up on the 4th line these days.

I agree but i think Tatar is gone after this season and potentially Danault if his skid continues (and they can't find common ground on re-signing). In that situation, Armia becomes a need as he has chemistry with Suzuki and Drouin. In fact, they had chemistry in the playins. His contract shouldn't be much more than it is now and his size is sorely needed.

Kotkaniemi will be bridged and we will lose Chariot/Allen/Ed to Seattle. There will be plenty of capspace.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs in that scenario would be looking for cap dumps of 1 year max, picks and prospect.

If someone is willing to take on either Price, Weber or Chiarot, they can be traded for too.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Even better just for kicks what do you think he is worth? Or who he compares to? I have posted my thoughts.
You made a wild claim and can't substantiate it?

I'm not making a claim other than your price doesn't seem to match with actual trade values.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The habs will not trade any of them unless they are out and if they do trade away players it will only be the UFA to be to the highest bidders : Tatar, Armia, Danault (probably 1st+)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Danault, Tatar, Mete and Perry, all available in the event where the Habs miss the playoffs.

Make your offers!
Danault If he plays better and ehh rental c's available (assuming Hopkins goes nowhere.) low end 1 high end 1 and 3 (think Hayes deal). If struggles continue he could drop to 2 2's or 2 and a- prospect. 1 is more likely.
Tatar all ready failed as rental once. C's and D-men always get more value than wingers. Players like Danault and Savard (if CBJ continues to struggle and D market continues to SUX) more likely to get a 1st. 2 2's or 2 and Madden like prospect ala Toffoli trade.
Mete as rfa better just to keep and hope. Maybe a 3.
Perry I'll say 4. Outside shot 3 if a team gets injuries at winger.
Armia- 2 or a- prospect minimum. maybe a little more but not a 1st.

Saying all that. Habs aren't missing playoffs when bottom half of North SUX.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
You are not getting Ekholm if you traded all of the players you mentioned together as one package. All of them are expiring UFA's or skating in cement 6/7 type Dmen. to get Ekholm you are giving up your 1st, a very good young player (think Caufield) and most likely KK. Someone like a Chiarot or Edmunson my be thrown in to balance out money but Ekholm will not be cheap.

Lol. Maybe for Ekholm AND Forsberg, yeah.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
You made a wild claim and can't substantiate it?

I'm not making a claim other than your price doesn't seem to match with actual trade values.

How is it a wild claim? Lets Take Muzzin Defenseman that is a step below Ekholm at the time of his trade. Both had good value contracts so that is a wash.

He was traded for a first an A prospect and a B prospect. So 1st = 1st, Caulfield = A prospect, KK = B prospect.

I would say that is a pretty close ball park. You can change Caufield to Ghule if you want or change KK to Poehling and have the 1st top 10 protected. Or make it Romanov, a 1st and contract dump but its still similar value.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Lol. Maybe for Ekholm AND Forsberg, yeah.

This why Ekholm will not be a Hab then and unfortunately the Flyers will not be able to knock them out of the Playoffs yet again. I really can't wait for Covid to be over so I can make my yearly pilgrimage to the Smurf Village to want the Flyer Rape, Pillage and Burn.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
WTF! Do you think Mete, Byron and a hand full of magic beans gets it done? Ekholm's not chopped liver or a cap dump. He is one heck of a good defenseman that you are going to have to out bid multiple teams to get him.
He’s not returning that much now and you know it . Good luck with that

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
This why Ekholm will not be a Hab then and unfortunately the Flyers will not be able to knock them out of the Playoffs yet again. I really can't wait for Covid to be over so I can make my yearly pilgrimage to the Smurf Village to want the Flyer Rape, Pillage and Burn.
You may be surprised what you find when you get there . There’s a lot more size and toughness there now mr. raper

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’m going to start this post by saying that I am a Habs fan so I am very biased. I do feel though that the team was built with the playoffs in mind.

Anderson, Gallagher, Perry, Armia, Weber, Petry, Chariot, Edmundson, Romanov all play that playoff style of game. Bigger and physical. Then you have Suzuki and Kotkaniemi who both stepped up last year in the playoffs. Toffoli, Drouin, Tatar, Danault don’t play that physical playoff style but can provide scoring.

The team lacks top end skill but come playoffs they will roll four lines and play very physical.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
"in the event where the Habs miss the playoffs".

English isn't my first language but what I mean is: if the Habs choke and doesn't make it, what could they get for those players

fear not, at least here your English is fine.

I vaguely remember once saying as a joke to Rod Gilbert his English was better than my almost entirely non-existent French. To be clear, that was a humorous remark in a specific context; no one should infer Gilbert, who is ever the classy gent, does not speak articulately in English.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If there's one thing this thread establishes, it's that Molson is going to fire Bergevin if the Habs miss the playoffs. So why are we talking about what futures Montreal can get for its established NHL players who are due to be UFAs at season's end? What, he's supposed to set things up nicely for his successor? How selfless of him!

The last thing that self-interest suggests Bergevin will do down the stretch is sell. If they're in a playoff spot by the trade deadline, they're going to be a buyer. If they're on the outside looking in, then they're going to be a buyer in order to get themselves in. That division is crap. You can't fall too far behind the pack in the North.

They have all their own picks, plus an extra second rounder; as well as two extra third, fourth and fifth rounders. The question we should be asking is what current players can the Habs get for their collection of first through fourth rounders at the deadline? What can they get for Kotkaniemi or Poehling?

I don't think asset management is what you can expect a GM to do with his job so clearly on the line. At a minimum, he's going to let it ride. I think they'll be a modest buyer.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If there's one thing this thread establishes, it's that Molson is going to fire Bergevin if the Habs miss the playoffs. So why are we talking about what futures Montreal can get for its established NHL players who are due to be UFAs at season's end? What, he's supposed to set things up nicely for his successor? How selfless of him!
Well, Bergevin hasn't made short-term moves yet... he could have gotten some serious help instead of drafting KK, for example, but he didn't.
While I'm not a fan of Bergevin, let's not assume his motives are that selfish.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
WTF! Do you think Mete, Byron and a hand full of magic beans gets it done? Ekholm's not chopped liver or a cap dump. He is one heck of a good defenseman that you are going to have to out bid multiple teams to get him.

How is it a wild claim? Lets Take Muzzin Defenseman that is a step below Ekholm at the time of his trade. Both had good value contracts so that is a wash.

He was traded for a first an A prospect and a B prospect. So 1st = 1st, Caulfield = A prospect, KK = B prospect.

I would say that is a pretty close ball park. You can change Caufield to Ghule if you want or change KK to Poehling and have the 1st top 10 protected. Or make it Romanov, a 1st and contract dump but its still similar value.

The answer to Ekholm is somewhere in between your two posts here and I've also used Muzzin as a comparable for Ekholm.

The difference is your 1st + Caufield + KK is a lot more than what Muzzin got.
CC is a mid 1st pick, KK is a top 3 pick, could be argued top 10.

Durzi and Grundstrom were 2nd round prospects.
Don't think the difference from Muzzin to Ekholm is as wide as you claimed.

Reactions: pth2

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Danault, Tatar, Mete and Perry, all available in the event where the Habs miss the playoffs.

Make your offers!
If wheels fall of, looks like decent chance they will. Price having one of his off seasons.

First pick each for Danault, and Tatar. Gives us 3 first in this draft. we get McTavish, Lucius and Ceulermans?

Maybe a 3rd for Perry? Perry was good in playoffs last year. Got a 3rd for Kovalchuk. Mete I would keep.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I doubt Bergevin moves Danault. He's their only experienced C, and Bergevin is also a bit under pressure to win this season.
Did you not read where he said and i quote
[ in the event where the Habs miss the playoffs }

Reactions: pth2

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

There are a few hot takes in there. Let’s break them down.

L.A received:

- A late first (at the time of the trade, Toronto was top 7 in the league)
- Sean Durzi; Former late 2nd round pick. Was viewer as a legit NHL prospect. Probably depth NHL player if he make it. 50/50 chance of making it.
Carl Grundstrom; Former late 2nd round pick.
Again, was considered a legit NHL prospect. Most likely depth player as well.

There was absolutely no A prospect given in that trade. No one near Caufield’s quality prospect.

Debunk #2; I don’t know why you think KK value is around a B prospect or close to Poehling’s. That’s just absurd and limit trolling.

There’s no one on Nashville that I would trade Romanov’s for. Josi is probably the most valuable piece Nashville has and due to age and contract, I wouldn’t even move Romanov for him. Bergevin deemed Romanov untouchable for PLD, so if you think he’d move him for Ekholm (lol) and then add another premium asset... well..

If you want a good comparable for Muzzin’s deal that would fit Ekholm value, you will probably be looking at something like:

Protected first
Struble
Hillis

and again, if Habs keep playing like they are now, there’s absolutely no chance Bergevin move his first.

Reactions: chapeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad