Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Practice coach media availability

Topics:

1. Health update and his roster.
2. Playing against a team after a coaching change.
3. Benefit to moving Pierre-Luc Dubois to the wing.
4. How well does he know Claude Julien and expectation he can bounce back?
5. Is there a reason for his reluctance to pair Morrissey and DeMelo?
6. Drivers on his lines.
7. Benefit of this stretch before they get going with a tight schedule.

Reactions: Jets 31

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
And you think he’ll only get those on Scheifele’s wing?
He’d likely do more centering Connor and Ehlers.... but our idiot coach has an unnatural obsession with getting Scheif and Wheeler together and will use anything he can to do it.
This is such a silly take on PLD playing on Scheif's wing. The Jets did not give up Laine to move a good 2nd C to the wing permanently. Let PLD get his skating legs back and as long as the Jets are winning why change things up? I totally agree with Maurice's choice to help PLD have maximum success to build his confidence with his new team. Maurice knows that the Jets are much better team long term with PLD as our 2C. Patience.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
11-6-1 ........:naughty:

Remember..... you started it.....:laugh:
D7C1393F-A892-445B-8884-AB321ED0DD14.gif

BA51BCB7-1B3E-4876-B240-A593714CB7F6.gif

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Yesterday I post about the Habs getting 9 points in their last 10 games, then they lose to the Sens in a shootout, and boom today Habs' coach gets fired. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Beau back with Morrissey..... what is wrong with Maurice. That pairing was a disaster and lead to JoMo slumping hard so now that Morrissey has some confidence again we are going right back to it.... stupid coaching.

Obvious solution is moving DeMelo up and not running anyone of their offside.

Last edited:

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Beau back with Morrissey..... what is wrong with Maurice. That pairing was a disaster and lead to JoMo slumping hard so now that Morrissey has some confidence again we are going right back to it.... stupid coaching.
Who do you like on that pairing with 44? Seems to me Poolman didnt work out last year and Pionk gels with Forbert.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
LOL! So true! :laugh:

From Free Niku and Stanley is the worst first round pick in hockey history to why the hell would Maurice put in Niku instead of Stanley.

How the narrative has changed!

I love hockey fans.
People changing their opinions based on new information? What's the hockey world coming to? :shakehead

Although if this holds, Niku is getting a pretty decent partner in DeMelo and he can be sheltered on the 3rd pair. It's about as favorable a setup as Niku's ever gotten in the NHL. The Jets restrictions on their defensemen are not to his benefit however...is it the Law of Maurice (or Huddy) that no defenseman shall cross the D-zone hash marks in possession of the puck? They always seem to pass it at that point - whether that's a good idea or not.

Anyway, just as I never cheered for Stanley to fail and have been very pleased by his development into a decent defenseman, I'm pulling for Niku to fulfil the promise he showed when he won the AHL defenseman of the year award as a 20 year old rookie.

Reactions: The Big M

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
People changing their opinions based on new information? What's the hockey world coming to? :shakehead

Although if this holds, Niku is getting a pretty decent partner in DeMelo and he can be sheltered on the 3rd pair. It's about as favorable a setup as Niku's ever gotten in the NHL. The Jets restrictions on their defensemen are not to his benefit however...is it the Law of Maurice (or Huddy) that no defenseman shall cross the D-zone hash marks in possession of the puck? They always seem to pass it at that point - whether that's a good idea or not.

Anyway, just as I never cheered for Stanley to fail and have been very pleased by his development into a decent defenseman, I'm pulling for Niku to fulfil the promise he showed when he won the AHL defenseman of the year award as a 20 year old rookie.

Well I don't form a opinion before there is enough information to form one.

When Stanley was drafted the Jets said right at the beginning he was a 4-5 year project yet many fans with ZERO information where going crazy that the Jets drafted the worst player in history. I decided to wait and see if the Jets were right about Stanley and while he will be a NHLer I am not sure Stanley was worth a #1 pick but I'll wait and see if his ceiling is higher then a 5-6 D. I am still waiting for more information.

Free Niku was as much Murices hate as it was supporting Niku. When Niku won the top D award in the AHL I too was excided that the Jets found a diamond in the ruff but when Maurice seem reluctant to play him I yielded to that fact that Maurice has much more information then I do and is more knowledgeable then I am about players abilities and the players personality. But not the Free Niku crowd, Maurice is the worst coach in history for playing useless NHL vets D instead of this great young prospect who is the next Paul Coffee (yes someone thought he was the next Paul Coffee). Turns out Maurice and the Jets management knew what they were doing when they made the decisions that they did about Stanley and Niku.

BTW as far as I am concern the jury is still out on both these young players and I will yield to Maurice's expertise and knowledge about these two players over my opinion or anyone else on this board.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm interested to see KC-Ehlers together for a bit longer, and it sounds like Maurice might be tempted to keep them together until things get bad again.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well I don't form a opinion before there is enough information to form one.

When Stanley was drafted the Jets said right at the beginning he was a 4-5 year project yet many fans with ZERO information where going crazy that the Jets drafted the worst player in history. I decided to wait and see if the Jets were right about Stanley and while he will be a NHLer I not sure he is worth a 1 pick but I'll wait and see if his ceiling is higher then a 5-6 D. I am still waiting for more information.

Free Niku was as much Murices hate as it was supporting Niku. When Niku won the top D award in the AHL I too was excided that the Jets found a diamond in the ruff but when Maurice seem reluctant to play him I yielded to that fact that Maurice has much more information then I do and is more knowledgeable then I am about players abilities and the players personality. But not the Free Nikku crowd, Maurice is the worst coach in history for playing useless NHL vets D instead of this great young prospect who is the next Paul Coffee (yes someone thought he was the next Paul Coffee). Turns out Maurice and the Jets management knew what they were doing when they made the decisions that they did about Stanley and Niku.

BTW as far as I am concern the jury is still out on both these you players and I will yield to Maurice's expertise and knowledge over my opinion or anyone else on this board.
Well, if we all waited until we had the total picture of every player before forming an opinion, then this would be a pretty quiet place!

And on one hand you're saying "the jury is still out" and on the other you're proclaiming that "Jets management knew what they were doing" with Stanley and Niku. Not sure we can make that determination if the jury is still out.

Did they know what they were doing handling Laine and Roslovic?

Maurice sent Connor down to the Moose because he wasn't ready when a bunch of people here thought he had a great camp and preseason - then Perreault gets injured and miraculously Connor was ready...I guess he needed one more week of AHL seasoning. If he'd been blocked for another year or forced to work his way up from the bottom 6 I wonder what team would he be scoring goals for today?

And what metric doesn't show Ehlers to be the best winger on the Jets - yet Maurice plays him less, sticks him on PP2 and feeds the press horseshit about "sweet spots" for TOI minutes and that Ehlers wants to be on the second unit getting a quarter of the powerplay ice time.

Geez, it just seem like a couple of months ago Maurice was saying young players wouldn't be sitting on the taxi squad...well I guess Vesa, Gus, Harkins and Stanley are getting up there - into their early 20s. I mean, we can't have those guys taking time away from the Nate Thompsons of the world. Thompson was shitty in his prime...but now he's 35!

But I guess Jets management know what they're doing. After all, 2 playoff series wins in 10 years - you can't argue with results... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->