RP Willie Hernandez (R)
RP Roy Face (R)
RP John Hiller (L)
RP Terry Forster (L)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Ah, that'd explain it.

Well, he got through one round short-handed, maybe he doesn't need the extra arm. :laugh:

Gonna be a long series, I think.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Same idea as always here. I have the clear hitting advantage. I think Spahn and the Unit are a wash. His #2 may be slightly better, but I'll take my 3-5 over his. Bullpen is in his favour, but mine still has a wide variety of handedness and pitching styles to deal with any situation.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Catcher

Advantage: Montreal

No explanation necessary. It's easily Bench.

First Base

What this comes down to is longevity. Their primes and peaks are pretty comparable. I'd probably give the slight edge to Pujols in that regard. As I said in my last analysis, Pujols' decline has been abrupt, shocking, and massively unforgiving. While Cabrera is no longer one of the league's elite first basemen, he's still serviceable to a certain degree.

Second Base

Advantage: Hanshin

Roberto Alomar is a Hall of Famer and that status is definitely deserved. Robinson Cano is on course to hold the same distinction (PEDs notwithstanding). Cano is too good at too many facets of the game for me to take Alomar over him.

Third Base

A great defensive third baseman, perhaps the best offensive 3B of all time gives Schmidt the edge. A switch hitting 3B in Chipper is a nice luxury but Schmidt simply has too much going for him.

Short Stop

Way too many defensive concerns with Jeter in this comparison. It has to be Trammell.

Left Field

Manny was not nearly as good of a power hitter and perhaps was even worse definitely when compared to Bonds. The choice is obvious.

Center Field

I'd probably give DiMaggio the slight edge if we were talking full careers but the DiMaggio's final five years against the entirety of Mickey Mantle's career? Come on.

Right Field

Again having Frank Robinson in right displays Hanshin's embarassment of riches in the outfield but Ichiro is one of those unique players that every team would kill for. One of the top contact hitters of all time and a ridiculous throwing arm to boot.

Bench

Drawing on what they have in right field, Montreal adds another two excellent hitters to the roster with Vladimir Guerrero and Tony Gwynn, who have been starters in most versions of this draft.

Starting Pitching

Montreal's starting pitching is both top heavy and has excellent depth. Assuming that Vida Blue draws back into the bullpen in this series, that might be the strongest remaining rotation of the teams still alive in the playoffs.

Bullpen

I'll be honest, I think Hanshin has a massive advantage here. Hoffman and Nathan have very questionable track records in the playoffs. Gagne had a Koufaxesque peak except it was even shorter than Koufax and it ended with him fading into obscurity rather than a Cooperstown coronation. There is a severe lack of left handed options (which again is a concern when you need to neutralize Bonds) and a similar deficiency in long relief options. Hanshin has an ideal balance of left and right in their bullpen and an excellent closer in Kent Tekulve

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Indeed, this one's definitely going the distance.

I've got better starters, but his bullpen is lights out. Here's hoping my starters can rack up enough quality innings so as not to tire out my pen. :laugh:

I think my offense is getting a tad underrated, understandable when lining up against the likes of Bonds, Pujols and Mantle. But I'm confident they'll get their licks against Hanshin's starters as well. As mentioned previously, Vida will indeed be joining the rest of the crew in the pen for this series. There's a fireballing southpaw for you, ready to come in when needed.

Leadoff hitter Ichiro's going to need to be quick here - both on the basepaths testing Munson's arm, and in right field snaring fly balls. Good thing he's got the arm for it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In a back-and-forth series that lived up to billing, Hanishin also prevails in 7 games, behind series MVP Mickey Mantle's .400 BA with 5 HR's and 11 RBI's. It came down to the last AB with Kent Tekulve getting Derek Jeter to fly out to deep right center with two out and two on in the ninth inning of a 3-2 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad