GDT: Montreal @ Toronto - 5/8 - 7PM CBC - "Pick a scab & win the division"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Playoffs could be a different animal but the idea that Price is going to be his 2014 Olympic self against an offense that has eaten him up alive over the past five years probably needs to be put to bed. Yes, respect the player but there's no reason to build him up as an x-factor if the Leafs can execute their game.

Indeed. It doesn't matter how the Leafs view these players especially Price, it's about how the Hab players view them.

Even if they know Price isn't his old self, it's his history of winning big games. It's why the Pens didn't agree with the playing format, they didn't want to play a suddenly hot Price.

I don't see Leafs losing to any of these teams. Unlike in recent years I see a much different team. One that is ultimately confident and committed to their system.

Stay the course and stifle the opposition. You sap the energy out of their game and deflate them. Even if it's just a one goal game (though I believe this team can beat them more comfortably).

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Hoping for a statement win - either get a shutout or only give up 1; or another 3 or more goal margin of victory.

Hoping for 1 or less goals against myself, to get in their heads that they can't score against us. It's their achilles heel.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
The Canadiens need to be beaten down so by the time Game 1 comes around it already feels like Game 3 of an impending sweep.

Light up Jake Allen so the Habs will have some thoughts about playing Carey Price, so Matthews can light him up too when time comes.

Toffoli and Caulfield needs some rough treatment trying to generate offense. No way those guys should be given the opportunity to generate anything.

Romanov, Chiarot, Perry, Petry and Anderson can't be allowed to throw extra little cheap shots and hits behind the play or build momentum without a physical response.

Romanov isn't afraid to throw a hit. He hit Matthews last game and Matty din't like it and gave him shot back. Romanov isn't afraid to hit the stars which to be honest wouldn't surprise me if he tries to target Matthews. Leafs better be aware when he's on the ice. All we need is someone getting hurt.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Romanov isn't afraid to throw a hit. He hit Matthews last game and Matty din't like it and gave him shot back. Romanov isn't afraid to hit the stars which to be honest wouldn't surprise me if he tries to target Matthews. Leafs better be aware when he's on the ice. All we need is someone getting hurt.
He's a worse Emelin; but more overrated.

Reactions: Doc300c

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Canadiens fan coming in peace asking for clarity on whether or not it is reasonable to say that Kadri "developed playing with Orr and McLaren".

This is currently an argument on the Habs board with a poster adamant that Kadri centered Orr and McLaren for a significant amount of time, despite all data from the time showing he played a grand total of 70 minutes with Orr and 10 total minutes with McLaren over his first 3 seasons.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Alexander Romanov is a thug. He has taken 2 runs at Matthews. The first time was at the end of the game and then Matthews played the next game and sat out the one after. He's clearly an 'attrition' player who wants to put the bruises on the opposition and break you down over a series, making investment hits and if anything should happen to you, so sad, too bad...

The way to play against a guy like that is to launch a steady torrent of Simmonds, Foligno, Hyman heavy forechecks, bodies, shoulders into his area and reverse hits to soften him up and put a little wear and tear on him.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Canadiens fan coming in peace asking for clarity on whether or not it is reasonable to say that Kadri "developed playing with Orr and McLaren".

This is currently an argument on the Habs board with a poster adamant that Kadri centered Orr and McLaren for a significant amount of time, despite all data from the time showing he played a grand total of 70 minutes with Orr and 10 total minutes with McLaren over his first 3 seasons.
That's ridiculous.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Yeah that was never a thing.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Leafs are 17 points up on the habs in a shortened season. Funny looking back after first two weeks. Habs had the GM of the year, Norris winner and two elite young centers, best depth and D in the division. Not exactly how it played out lol.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Extremely unreasonable. Kadri developed under Babcock (as much as we hate him) Into that shutdown C who can score. Kadri was always physical and always played with an edge with decent offensive output. Tavares came along and Kadri looked like he didn't really know where his role was but that went away rather quickly. Babcock began using him to line match against the opposition, knowing Kadri plays hard with an edge and always finishes his check. He almost never played with Orr/Mclaren during the Carlyle years. That poster is probably referring to the 2013 year when we were close to making playoffs, post-game when Don Cherry kissed Kadri on the cheek (similar to what he did with Dougie) and McLaren/Orr were present. It was a big deal, it was gonna be our first playoff appearance in like 10 years and those 3 played physical AF that game. I'm sure Orr/Mclaren had some impact on Kadri, but he always played the game the way he does. It took off to another level under Babcock, it looked like Naz finally figured out how he can be most effective and truly embraced that role. God I miss Kadri..:(

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs are 17 points up on the habs in a shortened season. Funny looking back after first two weeks. Habs had the GM of the year, Norris winner and two elite young centers, best depth and D in the division. Not exactly how it played out lol.

Yeah...almost like scoring 8 short handed goals to start the season wasn't really sustainable. But when you're blind, you're blind.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Is someone trying to make the case that Suzuki should centre a couple of 4th line meatheads?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

1. Kadri was developed horribly.

2. Hes probably thinking of the coach's corner when cherry kissed Naz, with both Orr and McLaren there too. They didn't play together for any real amount of time.

3. Kadri was never given real linemates or scoring line opportunities until his production made it impossible to keep him down the lineup anymore.

4. I always found it bizarre how everyone praised the Habs' "depth" so much this year when their 3C only had 8pts last year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
1. Kadri was developed horribly.

2. Hes probably thinking of the coach's corner when cherry kissed Naz, with both Orr and McLaren there too. They didn't play together for any real amount of time.

3. Kadri was never given real linemates or scoring line opportunities until his production made it impossible to keep him down the lineup anymore.

4. I always found it bizarre how everyone praised the Habs' "depth" so much this year when their 3C only had 8pts last year.

Last point always bugs me.

Media points out that the Leafs lack depth because they have 4 forwards making 40M. I really don't see an area where we lack any depth. We've got players for every injury. Adam Brooks is playing great and wouldn't even make it into the playoff lineup if not for 1/2 injuries. Hyman, Foligno out and the team just keeps rolling.

If you spend your money on the right players, it's not hard to pay your stars and have depth. Where the Habs f***ed up is that Shea Weber wasn't even a star when they traded for him and you do not pay 10.5 million to a goalie when the rest of your roster has massive holes.

Weber is Dion Phaneuf but because he played in Nashville's ultra defensive system with Trotz, the media made him out to be a "Man Mountain" when in reality, he's got a hard shot (just like Phaneuf) and has poor decision making.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Last point always bugs me.

Media points out that the Leafs lack depth because they have 4 forwards making 40M. I really don't see an area where we lack any depth. We've got players for every injury. Adam Brooks is playing great and wouldn't even make it into the playoff lineup if not for 1/2 injuries. Hyman, Foligno out and the team just keeps rolling.

If you spend your money on the right players, it's not hard to pay your stars and have depth. Where the Habs f***ed up is that Shea Weber wasn't even a star when they traded for him and you do not pay 10.5 million to a goalie when the rest of your roster has massive holes.

Weber is Dion Phaneuf but because he played in Nashville's ultra defensive system with Trotz, the media made him out to be a "Man Mountain" when in reality, he's got a hard shot (just like Phaneuf) and has poor decision making.

What is funny is that we lost quality depth for nothing as well.

I feel like these commenters are too used to watching Vancouver and think that you need to spend 3+ mill just to get a borderline 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad