Montreal sets a record for fastest 2 goals in NHL history

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Meh this record doesnt mean much to me because the goalie was pulled. Whats the record for the 2 quickest goals against a goalie?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looking at the replay it could probably happen a few 10th of a second faster but that's it.
Someone could win the faceoff at center ice clean and then someone else could one time it with a 100+ MPH bullet.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Not really. Frankly, the only reason this team has won so many games is because it has been able to score. The defense sucks, the special teams are terrible (the PK is mediocre, but the PP is awful), and Carey Price is playing at the level that I'd expect of a backup goaltender.

Recent history suggests that this team won't be able to keep up with this level of scoring, but we'll have to wait and see.

I would understand this if you just looked at his stats, which aren't great, but watching Price play you realize he's still making huge saves every game but we are giving up a ton of chances. He's not having to be relied on (most nights) which is great but we're still giving up a lot of high quality chances. Sv% is, in part, a team stat.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not really. Frankly, the only reason this team has won so many games is because it has been able to score. The defense sucks, the special teams are terrible (the PK is mediocre, but the PP is awful), and Carey Price is playing at the level that I'd expect of a backup goaltender.

Recent history suggests that this team won't be able to keep up with this level of scoring, but we'll have to wait and see.
This just in..... Team wins because they score. WOW.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
This just in..... Team wins because they score. WOW.

I thought it was obvious enough that I didn't have to spell it out; I was clearly saying that the team is scoring a lot and certainly far more than expected.

The team has scored 3.33 goals per game so far this year. Last year it was 2.55. The year before that was 2.76.

I would understand this if you just looked at his stats, which aren't great, but watching Price play you realize he's still making huge saves every game but we are giving up a ton of chances. He's not having to be relied on (most nights) which is great but we're still giving up a lot of high quality chances. Sv% is, in part, a team stat.

Every goalie makes great saves, but a great one makes them reliably. Price has had a few excellent games and a few terrible ones. Overall, he's just been mediocre.

I'm actually happy about that. The best thing that could've ever happened to the Habs is not being able to rely on Price to win games. Anyway, he's certainly far better than he was last year.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I still find it unbelievable that Bill Mosienko holds the record for fastest hat trick which only took 21 seconds lol that’s a record NEVER to be broken!!!

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Meh this record doesnt mean much to me because the goalie was pulled. Whats the record for the 2 quickest goals against a goalie?

But it hadn't been done in over 100 years even with goalies being pulled, so it's still pretty impressive.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
If you look at the replay, Armia pulled the puck back slightly before shooting it, so if a player could avoid that (ie. basically one-time it), he'd save a fraction of a second.
maybe winning it back to a Chara or Weber who is already winding up and they rocket it in.
The only other situation would be the timekeeper not start the clock correctly.

The only way I can see a faster goal happen is a circumstance similar to the playoff brawl game between Ottawa and Montreal in 2013.

Ottawa (Turris) scored. Then immediately off the faceoff, a brawl ensued. Which puts the faceoff in the Montreal zone. Which Ottawa (Silfverberg) scored on immediately after the faceoff. Unfortunately, the refs let the clock run a bit during the brawl, so it was a 8 second gap between the two goals.

Maybe if one team scored, then the team that got scored on takes a penalty during the celebration or something. That should cause the faceoff to happen in the opposing zone. Then if the centerman scores by shooting off the faceoff, I could see two goals happen in under a second.
My understanding is all faceoffs after a goal must take place at center ice.

Last edited:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
How exactly were that two seconds? I count 4.6 seconds (23.9 and 19.3)? Just because the time keeper got a little slow in all the excitement doesn't make it real 2 seconds?

It's a serious question, how does it work?

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Hmm..I timed it, it took about 2,3 seconds from the time the puck hit the ice on the face-off until it crossed the goal line.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Okay, you are right. I counted from the moment Domi scored, not from the puck drop. Stupid me

Thanks

Bonucci

Jan 4, 2018
I still find it unbelievable that Bill Mosienko holds the record for fastest hat trick which only took 21 seconds lol that’s a record NEVER to be broken!!!

I think i read somewhere that there is no footage of that record.

Are we sure it really happened?

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
It doesn’t seem possible to score any faster since it has to happen from center ice, given how it requires winning the faceoff, winding up and aiming, shooting, and the puck traveling down the ice.

Or you could just win the faceoff by shooting a la Granlund.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Most teams don't pull their goalie immediately after being scored on and the faceoff being at centre ice. That's a huge gamble that a) you're going to win the faceoff and b) that the other team won't get a clean shot off after the faceoff.

Who is coaching the Caps now that Trotz is gone? A rookie coach? Who else would pull the goalie before the faceoff?

I would replace most with 99% of teams...

Congrats to the Habs! They recognized and took advantage of a coaching mistake to set the NHL record.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Who is coaching the Caps now that Trotz is gone? A rookie coach? Who else would pull the goalie before the faceoff?

I would replace most with 99% of teams...

Congrats to the Habs! They recognized and took advantage of a coaching mistake to set the NHL record.

When it's 23 seconds left of the game it's not much hope if you lose the faceoff is it... Try to spend 20 seconds getting the puck back if you lose it, and then attack? Honestly. Win the faceoff. Or lose the game. What does it matter to lose it with an extra goal.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
When it's 23 seconds left of the game it's not much hope if you lose the faceoff is it... Try to spend 20 seconds getting the puck back if you lose it, and then attack? Honestly. Win the faceoff. Or lose the game.What does it matter to lose it with an extra goal.

It was one loss. That 2 goals in 2 seconds record may stand forever.

I had a friend in college who was a Cleveland Indians fan. He said it was embarrassing because they had set so many ignominious records, i.e. a .234 team batting average in 1968 and 1922, 19 stolen bases in 1945... The point is that is looks unprofessional by the SC winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad