Montreal sets a record for fastest 2 goals in NHL history

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It doesn’t seem possible to score any faster since it has to happen from center ice, given how it requires winning the faceoff, winding up and aiming, shooting, and the puck traveling down the ice.

Reactions: adsfan

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
3 seconds has been done 3 separate times, so teams have gotten really close before.

I thought the record was this but for all three guys having it at two seconds.

I remember Mogilny once scored two goals in 5.6 seconds for the sabres!

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I distinctly remember the Jets scoring 2 goals on the Oilers in 2 seconds back in the mid '90s. I believe Deron Quint scored the second. I may have to look through some game logs if I get bored and can find them.

It was 2 goals in 4 seconds. It was an NHL record for fastest 2 goals by the same player.

Interestingly, it was Dennis Beyak with the call for that goal (as the Oilers' PBP man). Now Beyak is the BPB for the new Jets.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It doesn’t seem possible to score any faster since it has to happen from center ice, given how it requires winning the faceoff, winding up and aiming, shooting, and the puck traveling down the ice.

Pretty much need a FO shot that is pretty fast.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
It was 2 goals in 4 seconds. It was an NHL record for fastest 2 goals by the same player.

Interestingly, it was Dennis Beyak with the call for that goal (as the Oilers' PBP man). Now Beyak is the BPB for the new Jets.

Oh geez. Thanks for that. Guess my memory isn't quite up to par these days lol. At least I got the player on the second goal correct. :thumbu:

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site

Looking at the replay it could probably happen a few 10th of a second faster but that's it.

Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Pretty much need a FO shot that is pretty fast.
Looking at the replay it could probably happen a few 10th of a second faster but that's it.
The only way I can think of is someone winning a faceoff into his own open net from center ice. Even then it has to be traveling over 60 MPH (97 KPH) because it has to travel 89 feet and 89 ft per second = 60.68 mph. It’s possible that it happens in a little over a second but almost no one wins faceoffs that fast and directly backwards with an empty net would not be smart (probably for this very reason)

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe somehow a push through by the center?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Not to take anything away from the Habs (great achievement) but I just want to point out that the NHL always rounds up on times. That means a goal scored with 2.0 to go is at 19:58 and one with 2.1 to go is at 19:57.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Montreal is definitely the Vegas of this season so far. Everything that could go right, is going right. lol.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Imagine if someone told you before the season started that Montreal of all teams was going to break this record.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Montreal is definitely the Vegas of this season so far. Everything that could go right, is going right. lol.

Not really. Frankly, the only reason this team has won so many games is because it has been able to score. The defense sucks, the special teams are terrible (the PK is mediocre, but the PP is awful), and Carey Price is playing at the level that I'd expect of a backup goaltender.

Recent history suggests that this team won't be able to keep up with this level of scoring, but we'll have to wait and see.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...Unless the NHL is officially going the way of the tenths in official timekeeping, this one will probably never be beaten.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Yeah and two goals by the same player is more impressive in my opinion.

Also Armia’s goal was in an empty net. Quint’s second while into an empty net officially isn’t an empty net goal.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The only way I can see a faster goal happen is a circumstance similar to the playoff brawl game between Ottawa and Montreal in 2013.

Ottawa (Turris) scored. Then immediately off the faceoff, a brawl ensued. Which puts the faceoff in the Montreal zone. Which Ottawa (Silfverberg) scored on immediately after the faceoff. Unfortunately, the refs let the clock run a bit during the brawl, so it was a 8 second gap between the two goals.

Maybe if one team scored, then the team that got scored on takes a penalty during the celebration or something. That should cause the faceoff to happen in the opposing zone. Then if the centerman scores by shooting off the faceoff, I could see two goals happen in under a second.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The only way I can think of is someone winning a faceoff into his own open net from center ice. Even then it has to be traveling over 60 MPH (97 KPH) because it has to travel 89 feet and 89 ft per second = 60.68 mph. It’s possible that it happens in a little over a second but almost no one wins faceoffs that fast and directly backwards with an empty net would not be smart (probably for this very reason)

If you look at the replay, Armia pulled the puck back slightly before shooting it, so if a player could avoid that (ie. basically one-time it), he'd save a fraction of a second.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not really. Frankly, the only reason this team has won so many games is because it has been able to score. The defense sucks, the special teams are terrible (the PK is mediocre, but the PP is awful), and Carey Price is playing at the level that I'd expect of a backup goaltender.

Recent history suggests that this team won't be able to keep up with this level of scoring, but we'll have to wait and see.

What. The. f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->