Speculation: Montreal rebuild. The end of an era.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
I think Gallagher value is around Pageau value when he was traded to the Isles. Same kind of production (Gally is more proven), same age, same size and similar kind of style of play (pest).

Thus, Gally could probably fetch a 1st and a 2nd, maybe a conditional 3rd on top.

You're forgetting that big contract that doesn't start until he's 29. Cap hit etc. matters now more than ever, he also has a NMC I think. He definitely earned it with his prior play, but will he be worth it from 29-35?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I maybe in the minority but I’d still appreciate having Weber on the Jets defense. He’d be an upgrade as a partner for Morrissey that’s for sure.

Of course it would depend on cost. I wouldn’t break the bank of prime assets but would definitely be interested.

Wouldn’t targeting Petry make more sense?

Reactions: UConn126

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Tried thinking of a deal that could work for Edmonton but the contract even with retention is just way too massive of an unnecessary risk.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Man, this team really fell off a cliff quickly. I thought they'd compete for the Division.

They still have some nice pieces though.
No goaltending. They will comeback with Carey Price next game and he will crap the bed again. It is tearing the confidence and morale out of the team. Can see it in guys like Petry, Suzuki, etc... They not same last 10 games as they were to start the season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Montreal enters a rebuild do they really care about avoiding retention or taking back bad contracts if it means moving 1 hefty one out and adding some good building blocks?

For me if Price doesn’t come with 50% retention it’s a pointless discussion as moving forward we can’t afford him otherwise.

Koskinen + 1st + Samorukov + Neal as the dump

Price 50%

Koskinen can platoon as a 1b with Allen. Neal could either be bought out for a $2 million cap after the season or ride the contract out. You walk away with a building block to go with Romanov in Samorukov and another 1st rounder for the draft.

I don’t expect anyone to be crazy about it. It’s expensive for Montreal cap situation and high risk for Edmonton if Price doesn’t rebound and we kissed a 1st and good D prospect goodbye.
If Montreal enters rebuilding phrase, they can retain as many vets be moved out. But that is 2 bad contracts coming back. We taking back 9 million while only moving 50% of Price's 10.5 million.

Take Neal out of the deal. Or give us Holloway?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber 50% retained for Perfetti? You getting a first pairing, 15 goal scoring, 25 minute defenseman for 3.8m signed for 5 years.
I maybe in the minority but I’d still appreciate having Weber on the Jets defense. He’d be an upgrade as a partner for Morrissey that’s for sure.

Of course it would depend on cost. I wouldn’t break the bank of prime assets but would definitely be interested.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Weber 50% retained for Perfetti? You getting a first pairing, 15 goal scoring, 25 minute defenseman for 3.8m signed for 5 years.

As much as I like Weber, he doesn’t have that kind of value anymore. Nobody is trading a top 10 pick for him or a prospect that was recently top 10 pick.

By the sounds of it, Weber will not play out all those 5 years of his contract.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
lol only on hfboards can a GM or team be the best in the league in the first week of the season and among the worst a few weeks later.
Well said . I wish we could just have a coach who could think outside the box . Throw the lines in a blender . Reward results . Put armia ( off wing ) on a line with danault and Anderson against other top lines . Be a lot less predictable

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Montreal will right the ship and get into the playoffs. Once there , there are a couple factors that will go in montreals favour . For one the refs put the whistle away a lot more so these chintsy calls were seeing won’t be so prevalent .
Second and more importantly, overtime’s are played 5 vs 5 and not the 3 on 3 skills competition and shootout that we see in the regular season. We need two things . Ekholm to steady the defense and a veteran depth center man like stall to come in when the kids struggle.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Price is interesting, problem is Montreal would have to retain 5 mil per year for the first 3 years and then pay the whole thing for the 3 years they should have never given him

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Price will get it together . Every goalie has slumps they work through . It’s not his first , won’t be his last .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad