Confirmed Signing with Link: Montreal re-sign Max domi [2 years/$3.15M AAV]

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The Habs are about to have around 20 million dollars in cap space once the salary cap goes up. Could be more if they trade Pacioretty for futures. They have no star players to sign in the near future, and are likely in for a lengthy rebuild.

I don't really think 2-4m$ in difference on a contract two seasons from now is really huge a concern.

exactly, the contract sucks, the team sucks and its going ot be a long dark decade for montreal.

remember when carey price rotted away?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
That is certainly not the worst case scenario.

Obviously....but it's the worst 'non-extreme' scenario...

Who's more likely to live up to or out-perform the below contracts?

Andrew Shaw
$3,900,000 x 6 years | 26 y/o | Career HIGH = 39 points in 80 games (0.48 PPG)

Max Domi
$4,900,000 x 6 years | 23 y/0 | Career LOW = 38 points in 59 games (0.65 PPG)

I don't know about you....but my money's on Max Domi & his over-sized head !

IMO

A bridge deal is a bigger cap risk than a long-term deal that's signed while Max's value is low. In two years - he is MUCH more likely to earn a $7,000,000 cap hit VS a $2,500,000 cap-hit. And both numbers are equally spaced from what his long-term deal might look like today.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Obviously....but it's the worst 'non-extreme' scenario...

Who's ore likely to live up to or out-perform the below contracts?

Andrew Shaw
$3,900,000 x 6 years | 26 y/o | Career HIGH = 39 points in 80 games (0.48 PPG)

MaxDomi
$4,900,000 x 6 years | 23 y/0 | Career LOW = 38 points in 59 games (0.65 PPG)

I don't know about you....but my money's on Max Domi & his over-sized head !

IMO

A bridge deal is a bigger cap risk than a long-term deal that's signed while Max's value is low. In two years - he is MUCH more likely to earn a $7,000,000 cap hit VS a $2,500,000 cap-hit. And both numbers are equally spaced from what his long-term deal might look like today.

You also do realize a bridge deal buys you team control? After this contract, all the leverage is still on MB's side, and if Domi suddenly has a crazy 70+ point season, he doesn't need to give him a desperate $7M cap hit because he's still under team control no matter what. We can also give him more term this way (bridge + long term deal) vs. a straight up long term deal.

And oh yeah, thanks for the Andrew Shaw example. Perfect for why you don't give out long term contracts based on less than spectacular production.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
You also do realize a bridge deal buys you team control? After this contract, all the leverage is still on MB's side, and if Domi suddenly has a crazy 70+ point season, he doesn't need to give him a desperate $7M cap hit because he's still under team control no matter what. We can also give him more term this way (bridge + long term deal) vs. a straight up long term deal.

And oh yeah, thanks for the Andrew Shaw example. Perfect for why you don't give out long term contracts based on less than spectacular production.

Yup....just like they had 'full control' of PK after his bridge deal?

Is that why he become the leagues highest paid d-man?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yup....just like they had 'full control' of PK after his bridge deal?

Is that why he become the leagues highest paid d-man?

PK was a Norris winner and a bonafide superstar. You don't want any contract disputes with those guys. If Max Domi becomes a legit 60-70 point guy in the next two years, I'd gladly give him his raise. If not, it's much easier for MB to point out he doesn't deserve to get paid massively and still get a deal done than if he's UFA and can walk to the open market. Pretty basic stuff, really.

Bridge deals are not always beneficial but for a guy like Domi, whose ceiling is still a bit of a mystery and who hasn't played a single game for the team yet, it's absolutely the correct deal to make.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Not really. Look around. Guys get paid on those deals that buy UFA years. If they don’t, they can go to arbitration and sign 1 year deals until they hit UFA or they can sign an offersheet.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not really. Look around. Guys get paid on those eals that buy UFA years. If they don’t, they can go to arbitration and sign 1 year deals until they hit UFA or they can sign an offersheet.

But would Domi want to go to arbitration and sign a one year deal if he's up for a big raise anyway (in this scenario)? An offer sheet is always a possibility, for sure, but nobody ever does that anymore. So yeah, I'd still say MB holds the leverage on that one although I'm sure he'd give Domi a fair raise.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But would Domi want to go to arbitration and sign a one year deal if he's up for a big raise anyway (in this scenario)? An offer sheet is always a possibility, for sure, but nobody ever does that anymore. So yeah, I'd still say MB holds the leverage on that one although I'm sure he'd give Domi a fair raise.

Only if Bergevin tries to play hardball. Every year a player gets closer to UFA, the GM’s leverage erodes. Once you get to the last couple years, the players have an out. It’s rarely used, but it is there. So the players aren’t in a position where they have to sign long term for less than FMV.

Basically, I think what you’re trying to call an advantage is actually a disadvantage. If Domi has a great couple years, he’s going to get paid. The fact that he’s an RFA won’t have much of an impact. I know that’s a problem the Habs would love to have but it is the disadvantage of the bridge deal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I hope Domi performs well and we pay him well after... what's wrong with people!?
Paying a player that performs well is ok, I don't see what the problem is. Right now, it was good for both Domi and the Canadiens. It gives them both 2 years to evaluate how much he's worth and if he fits in for the Canadiens, and 2 years to prove himself for Max Domi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad