Confirmed Signing with Link: Montreal re-sign Max domi [2 years/$3.15M AAV]

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
caggigula has 18 assist in last 2 seasons. domi has 65 assists. plus he adds tenacity.

theres more to hockey than just goals

I also like how he used the year average for Caggigula and the total amount for Domi... we see what you're doing bud lol

Domi's contract is as standard as it comes. Capfriendly had a projected caphit for him of 3.1M before he signed the deal.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I also like how he used the year average for Caggigula and the total amount for Domi... we see what you're doing bud lol

Domi's contract is as standard as it comes. Capfriendly had a projected caphit for him of 3.1M before he signed the deal.
that was quite ridiculous of him to say what he said

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
thanks the stars for this contract; Leafs' RFAs are not exceeding this contract for sure (excluding Nylander)

Bergevin did one thing right :laugh:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
How is this a great contract? If he breaks out like Montreal is hoping (why else would you trade for a young player?) you then pay up the nose...

The only upside is if he fails, it's only 2 years...

File this under 'not a noteworthy contract'.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Caggiula just signed 2 years @ 1,5 AAV 20 goals in last 120 gp Domi 6.3 million 18 goals in last 141 games , How do people think this is a great deal
Lol I'd take Domi over Cags 10/10! he brings more to the table

thepuckguru

Jan 6, 2017
This is a fair contract, But still not a fan of his as a player. Also don’t like how the Habs continue to return to the “smurf” identity time and time again. Signing plekenac again would solidify it.

Not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Caggiula just signed 2 years @ 1,5 AAV 20 goals in last 120 gp Domi 6.3 million 18 goals in last 141 games , How do people think this is a great deal

As a player yea as cap goes no

By your logic you would rather have on your team Paul Byron at 1.1M and 42 goals the last two seasons over RNH at 6M and 42 goals two seasons.

You’re saving 4.9M and still get the same amount of goals. As cap goes, it’s a pretty sweet swap for your team

Reactions: CountKong

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Good signing IMO - I'm not sure what Domi is at this point a top 6 or middle 6 player, but I think everyone knew Galy time was up. I'm interested to see Domi + Shaw + Gallagher on the same line for the Habs.

I just hope the Habs get aggressive on bringing in a couple more bonafide top 6 guys.

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
How is this a great contract? If he breaks out like Montreal is hoping (why else would you trade for a young player?) you then pay up the nose...

He will still be RFA at the end of this contract.

Reactions: shello

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Contract is good but deal is still bad .
Can someone kidnap MB and educate him on what a GD CENTER... is .
Trading away Subban Sergachev and Chucky and not getting a C is stupid ... especially with ARI saying they can see Chucky in the middle

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
By your logic you would rather have on your team Paul Byron at 1.1M and 42 goals the last two seasons over RNH at 6M and 42 goals two seasons.

You’re saving 4.9M and still get the same amount of goals. As cap goes, it’s a pretty sweet swap for your team
Oilers can't afford his cap it's that simple teams who are tight against it are not going to spend that on 9 goals . And Rnh has faced the toughest centers in the League for years sacraficing offence in the process now as McDavids winger he is allowed to use the talent that had him selected 1st overall , he will put up 30 goals 70 points playing with McDavid all season well worth his 6 million.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City

The Habs are about to have around 20 million dollars in cap space once the salary cap goes up. Could be more if they trade Pacioretty for futures. They have no star players to sign in the near future, and are likely in for a lengthy rebuild.

I don't really think 2-4m$ in difference on a contract two seasons from now is really huge a concern.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Oilers can't afford his cap it's that simple teams who are tight against it are not going to spend that on 9 goals . And Rnh has faced the toughest centers in the League for years sacraficing offence in the process now as McDavids winger he is allowed to use the talent that had him selected 1st overall , he will put up 30 goals 70 points playing with McDavid all season well worth his 6 million.

I'm not quite sure how exactly you're not figuring it out but THERE IS MORE TO MAX DOMI THAN HIS 9 GOALS. That is all.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Trade looks good after that cheap signing

The cap hit is fine (as expected for a bridge) but after thinking about it...the 2-year term makes the cap hit almost meaningless in Montreal's situation:

- They're weren't gonna to have cap issues in the next 2 years (even with Chucks 4.9m).
- They won't be be competing for a cup in the next 2 years.
- Then his contract expires (and he'll do exactly what Subban did if he plays well).

There's really only 2 outcomes (and neither is good for Bergevin):

1. Domi earns a long-term deal with a much higher cap-hit than he's earned to date (just in time for his cap hit to be important to the team). That makes this contract big failure.

2. Domi doesn't earn a long-term deal with a higher cap-hit than he's earned to date. That makes trading Galchenyuk for Domi big failure.

Bergevin just put himself in another no win situation.

He was confidant enough to trade much a better player for Max Domi...but he's not confidant enough to sign Domi to a long-term deal...at a time when Domi's signing value is lower than it's ever been & likely lower than it ever will be again (that is the perfect time to sign someone Bergevin).

Reactions: Off Sides

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The cap hit is fine (as expected for a bridge) but after thinking about it...the 2-year term makes the cap hit almost meaningless in Montreal's situation:

- They're weren't gonna to have cap issues in the next 2 years (even with Chucks 4.9m).
- They won't be be competing for a cup in the next 2 years.
- Then his contract expires (and he'll probably pull a post bridge-deal Subban).

There's really only 2 outcomes (and neither is good for Bergevin):

1. Domi earns a long-term deal with a much higher cap-hit than he's earned to date (just in time for his cap hit to be important to the team). That makes this contract big failure.

2. Domi doesn't earn a long-term deal with a higher cap-hit than he's earned to date. That makes trading Galchenyuk for Domi big failure.

Bergevin just put himself in another no win situation.

He was confidant enough to trade much a better player for Max Domi...but he's not confidant enough to sign Domi to a long-term deal...at a time when Domi's signing value is lower than it's ever been & likely lower than it ever will be again (that is the perfect time to sign someone young).

Not all players all the same, maybe Bergevin believes giving him a bridge before his big pay-day will help him keep focused and motivated? Honestly, I completely agree with your assessment, just playing a little devil's advocate.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Not all players all the same, maybe Bergevin believes giving him a bridge before his big pay-day will help him keep focused and motivated? Honestly, I completely agree with your assessment, just playing a little devil's advocate.

It might be motivation - but Montreal won't be providing any other motivation for a while.

As far as risk/reward goes:

Say they could have signed him long-term at Galchenyuks cap ($4,900,0000 x 6).

What's the biggest risk of the long-term deal?

- $900,000 per year? (he regresses to a 40 point / $4,000,000 player instead).

What's the biggest risk of the the brige-deal?

- $3,000,000 per year? (he has a 70+ point season & asks for $7,900,000 in 2 years).

I think he's more likely to get 70+ points once, than he is to post back career lows in PPG (and the bridge deal more than triples the financial loss of the more likely outcome).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->