Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
My prediction is we will not sign anyone because the interesting players are simply too old and i'm not even sure we have enough cap space. We need to keep cap space to sign Slafkovski and Guhle. The 2025 crop could be much better it would be stupid to tie our hands by signing a player in the middle of his 30ies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We already have too many roster spots filled and too many unmovable contracts. Montreal won't sign any UFA this off-season.
Ylonen & Pezetta are gonzo, 2nd line W spot open

Newhook - Dach - xx
Roy - Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I wouldn't be so sure on Pezzetta and Ylonen just yet. Hughes and Gorton have shown a lot of paitience so far with the kids - and Pezzetta is a good 13th forward. You also forgot Harvey-Pinard.
Ylonen won’t be qualified, and all of Ylonen, Pezetta, RHP are tweeners

Reactions: Vachon23

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ylonen & Pezetta are gonzo, 2nd line W spot open

Newhook - Dach - xx
Roy - Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - Armia
I don't think it's a given they're both gone, I could see both of them back on 1 year deal because I don't think the Habs really want to tie up the kind of $$ it's going to take to sign a top 6 UFA when they've got young prospects pushing.

I could see them going the trade route, they can control the salary they'd be acquiring (see Dach/Newhook trades and subsequent contracts).

I don't expect free agency to be an important part of what this team is trying to do in the immediate.

at least not until Carey Price/Jake Allen's salary come off the books,

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I wouldn't be so sure on Pezzetta and Ylonen just yet. Hughes and Gorton have shown a lot of paitience so far with the kids - and Pezzetta is a good 13th forward. You also forgot Harvey-Pinard.

They've been patient with kids, but these guys are going to be 25-27 year olds and haven't shown much in the NHL.

Ylonen probably won't be signed, Pezzetta will likely be a 13th/14th forward and if RHP doesn't show improvements from this year he will likely be in Laval since no one would claim him on a one-way salary of over $1M.

Reactions: Kimota and Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I don't think it's a given they're both gone, I could see both of them back on 1 year deal because I don't think the Habs really want to tie up the kind of $$ it's going to take to sign a top 6 UFA when they've got young prospects pushing.

I could see them going the trade route, they can control the salary they'd be acquiring (see Dach/Newhook trades and subsequent contracts).

I don't expect free agency to be an important part of what this team is trying to do in the immediate.

There's also a chance whomever we draft could start at the NHL level, too. Slim, but possible. I could see Lindstrom slotting into that 2nd line vacancy.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's also a chance whomever we draft could start at the NHL level, too. Slim, but possible. I could see Lindstrom slotting into that 2nd line vacancy.
Yeah, slim chance at that too...but if you listened to Gorton/Hughes yesterday, and in the past, they've often talked about acquiring player's of the "right age".

The best UFAs in this crop are older and more expensive.

I just don't see it.

Summer of 25' might be a different story.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

There are no fwd prospects pushing and the ones coming into the system Beck, Tuch, Xekaj all could use a full year of AHL development & none will start top-6 role

Also, unless Habs get Celebrini, no F from this draft will be NHL ready for 1 perhaps 2 seasons. Signing a vet (like Stamkos) for max 2-years allows growth of Habs team without creating a roadblock for F prospects

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, slim chance at that too...but if you listened to Gorton/Hughes yesterday, and in the past, they've often talked about acquiring player's of the "right age".

The best UFAs in this crop are older and more expensive.

I just don't see it.

Summer of 25' might be a different story.
Yeah, I agree. Two years ago they traded for Dach, last year for Newhook - if something like that is available, I think we could see that happen.

This team isn't ready to add UFA contracts yet though, and most players that reach UFA aren't looking to join a team that finished 5th and has been in the bottom of the standings for the last few years. At best you'll lure a Aaron Downey type. Sure won't get a Stamkos who is going to be looking for a shot at another cup.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and BLONG7

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The only mid-30's guy I'd pay money for is Crosby (were he to be available, which he will never be) I have zero interest in Marchessault, Stamkos, or any other end-of-the-line veteran. Well, maybe Corey Perry. Love that guy. Not as much as Bedard's mom does, of course, but close.

I can envision a scenario where we trade one or both of our 1st round picks for a young but established NHL talent, but that will depend on where the lottery balls drop.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There are no fwd prospects pushing and the ones coming into the system Beck, Tuch, Xekaj all could use a full year of AHL development & none will start top-6 role.
Today, probably only Roy...over the next 2-3 years though? Which is the minimum timeframe required to sign any top 6 UFA you'd be looking at.

Again, during the press conference yesterday, Hughes/Gorton dropped more seeds about how they don't want to block the pathway for players who will be coming up.

IMO, if the Habs make any top 6 addition, it's way more likely to come via the trade route with a cost controlled player who fits in the age group they're looking for, rather than an older, more expensive and proven UFA like Stamkos or Marchesseault.

Also, unless Habs get Celebrini, no F from this draft will be NHL ready for 1 perhaps 2 seasons. Signing a vet (like Stamkos) for max 2-years allows growth of Habs team without creating a roadblock for F prospects
I'm not sure why Stamkos would sign for a max of 2 years in Montreal when he can get more to go play on a better team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, I agree. Two years ago they traded for Dach, last year for Newhook - if something like that is available, I think we could see that happen.
Man, i'd put some real cash on that exact thing happening this summer
This team isn't ready to add UFA contracts yet though, and most players that reach UFA aren't looking to join a team that finished 5th and has been in the bottom of the standings for the last few years. At best you'll lure a Aaron Downey type. Sure won't get a Stamkos who is going to be looking for a shot at another cup.
I don't have much interest in free agency...I think that's where you go to compliment your team if you're looking for specific depth pieces. But free agency has become so washed down since teams have started locking down their young players to long term deals.

It's just not worth it.

If you're a playoff team though, and you can add a Stamkos or Marchesseault or Lindholm as a final piece to your already well constructed puzzle, that makes sense.

As a rebuilding team whose got almost 20M in salary already tied into 4 goalies heading into this offseason (Price, Allen, Monty, Primeau)...

Hard pass...resolve that above-referenced issue first and keep your money to sign your young players to contract extensions.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
- White and Ylonen will be let got.
- One of Struble/Harris is traded. Kovacevic too
- Wont win the draft and will draft Iginla
- No big UFA signing.
- I'm 50/50 on the possibility that KH can swing another deal like Dach. Not sure what he want will be available or within a resonable price range

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Why are we doing this? UFAs are the last thing we need
We already have too many overagers and we're not ready to contend

Pearson, white and ylonen are likely gone but we still have lots of bodies to ice a roster
Pezzetta btw still have another year I dont get why people think he's gone
Stamkos ffs??

Even if we aiming at a wildcard spot, we not contenders so no buyouts, no buying at TDL and no big UFAs.
Maybe short term cheap utility players, not more

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Except for potentially Monahan I don't see us signing anybody nor we should.

the oracle has spoken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad