OT: Montreal music festivals (Heavy MTL/Osheaga etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Darkest hour has some fantastic stuff. Only started listening to them about a year ago, but the album ' undoing ruin' is fantastic. I very rarely listen to american metal bands and i don't like the metal/scream/insertwhatevertag-core music scene, but darkest hour managed to blend quite a few elements that I really enjoy.

I've been a DH fan for a long long time and I'd pickup Deliver Us also if you liked Undoing Ruin. Those are probably my fav. 2 albums, Deliver us being #1. Their guitarist left the band after deliver us and their work dropped off a bit, I just picked up their newest release and they seem to be getting their "power" back sort of speak.

For some odd reason DH are always lumped into the stupid metalcore category even though they are more similar to the melodic death bands. I'd be ecstatic if they were added to the bill.

Bruins fan come to tell some rumor from a French site who's the best metal site from Quebec. Rumor have Billy Talent on the First Day and Kiss, Motorhead on the second Day

By The way I have seen it last year The top 5 was

1-Alice Cooper
2-KoRn
3-Rob Zombie
4-Kataklysm
5-Airbourne

Slayer and Megadeth was great But No Raining blood was borring and Mustaine was singing like crap but Day One was Way Better. Too much crap like Avenged Sevenfold and stupid Metalcore on the second day

No offense man but if those were your favorite performances of the last festival then you missed a lot of bands (major props to the Airbourne dude climbing the scaffolding and doing a solo, that was some crazy ****!)

The Slayer set was great, playing Seasons' front to back was AWESOME. Sure you didn't get all the classics but any metal fan has probably saw them at least one other time and got the full set list.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I've been a DH fan for a long long time and I'd pickup Deliver Us also if you liked Undoing Ruin. Those are probably my fav. 2 albums, Deliver us being #1. Their guitarist left the band after deliver us and their work dropped off a bit, I just picked up their newest release and they seem to be getting their "power" back sort of speak.

For some odd reason DH are always lumped into the stupid metalcore category even though they are more similar to the melodic death bands. I'd be ecstatic if they were added to the bill.

I have all their albums, will write my thoughts on The Human Romance when I'm done listening to it. As for Deliver Us, i didn't like that it was less riff oriented. Their lyrics are always very well written, but this album didn't impress me much. Although Doomsayer and Deliver us (!!!) are great songs, especially the latter. For me Undoing Ruin was a masterpiece, it had With a thousand words..., Convalescence, Sound of Surrender and These Fevered Times, not to mention the top notch instrumentals. To each their own, though. If you like DH you might like another band called Within Y, their stuff is kinda hard to find, though.

As for the album after Deliver Us, it doesn't exist to me ;)

Vic Rattlehead*

Heavy MTL is shaping up to be awful this year.

Kiss? Really? Ugh.

As of right now the only bands I care to see are Machine Head and In Flames (and I'm not even a fan of their latest albums). Blergh.

At least day 1 of last year was epic....although I guess it was wishful thinking to see more bands like Mastodon/High on Fire this year.

No offense man but if those were your favorite performances of the last festival then you missed a lot of bands (major props to the Airbourne dude climbing the scaffolding and doing a solo, that was some crazy ****!)

The Slayer set was great, playing Seasons' front to back was AWESOME. Sure you didn't get all the classics but any metal fan has probably saw them at least one other time and got the full set list.

Agreed.

Despite not being crazy about them, I'd put Testament's performance up there as well. They got the crowd energized and were awesome.

Mastodon was great as usual (as were High on Fire), and Fear Factory had a pretty good set.

Didn't go on the second day...wasn't going to break the bank to see only LoG and Rob Zombie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
So I take it you know which bands are booked for day 2?

Not at all. I just knew when the announcement was coming.
All i know are rumors like anyone else, KISS, COB, Darkest hour, etc.

Seems like they really wanted to keep it under wraps this year.

But as true metal fans, we will complain even if they scheduled the ghost of dimebag to play.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Heavy MTL is shaping up to be awful this year.

Kiss? Really? Ugh.

As of right now the only bands I care to see are Machine Head and In Flames (and I'm not even a fan of their latest albums). Blergh.

At least day 1 of last year was epic....although I guess it was wishful thinking to see more bands like Mastodon/High on Fire this year.

Agreed.

Despite not being crazy about them, I'd put Testament's performance up there as well. They got the crowd energized and were awesome.

Mastodon was great as usual (as were High on Fire), and Fear Factory had a pretty good set.

Didn't go on the second day...wasn't going to break the bank to see only LoG and Rob Zombie.

Pretty much agree with everything you said here.

Machine Head, In Flames (for the old stuff) and Red Fang are the only bands I'm interested in seeing thus far.

The 2nd day was pretty weak, a lot of metalcore. I have a soft spot for Shadows' Fall, Rob Zombie and 3 Inches of Blood so I shelled out for the entire weekend but Day 2 was disappointing. Luckily it looks like day 1 will be the weak day this year, so we should end on a high note.

I think we'll see Mastodon added, they've played both times and could really be a headliner this year.

I'm as disappointed as anyone at this years' lineup thus far, but I"m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they come through. I'm hoping to see some familiar names (mastodon, high on fire, skeletonwithc, slayer, preistess, Kataklysm, etc) along with some bands that have yet to play. Motorhead, Black Label Society, Devildriver, Goatwhore, Darkest Hour, Baroness, Cavalara Conspiracy to name a few all appear to be open this summer, with any luck a few will land in Montreal.

As for the album after Deliver Us, it doesn't exist to me

Ya, it was pretty weak. There is a few tracks I like but it was a real letdown compared to the quality of their previous albums.

neofury*

KISS? Talk about being a shell of your former self.

Gene and Paul are getting old and ravaged. Ace and Peter, the two other originals, aren't even there anymore and they have Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer to replace them on lead guitar and drums. Tommy Thayer is a twangy piece of crap that is happy making peanuts, just so he can imitate his hero Ace, while Eric is a freakin' ape on drums. The politics alone nowadays is ****** with the band too. Gene and Paul talk to each others through their agents, and the two others are just scabs that bring Gene his coffee, do anything he wants and get paid like employees or session musicians.

I can get a lot more into them, but I'll save myself the stress. Simply put, if they ever appear at a festival I'm at, I'll take that chance to go to the bathroom or get a snack.

I just don't see why their personal lives need to have an affect on the music. They play the songs the same as they always did, they just aren't the original 4 members.

That being said I understand loving one member or another whose left the band, but to totally dislike the band now because of in band politics to me is just crazy.

Who gives a **** about their personal lives, their moral choices in life and if they're a good or bad person. You're there for the music and letting their personal squabs get in the way of that is just silly to me.

No 70s rock/80s metal band will ever live up to the height of their potential because that's just how nostalgia is.

Last edited by a moderator:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

But as true metal fans, we will complain even if they scheduled the ghost of dimebag to play.

:laugh: you know it

Vic Rattlehead*

Haha true.

Hopefully Osheaga starts releasing some details as well.

PaganKnight

Jul 29, 2009
Montreal
Would love some detail on Festival d'été de Québec also. Only the Black keys right now. I like them but not sure i'll buy ticket to see only them

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Kiss and Billy Talent are official, grosse.

On the positive side, they did add DevilDriver, The Sword, Opeth, Anthrax, Children of Bodom and MOTORHEAD!

Last edited:

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=155640

Heavy T.O. lineup

Saturday, July 23:

MEGADETH
ANTHRAX
OPETH
MOTORHEAD
CHILDREN OF BODOM
AS I LAY DYING
THE SWORD
TIMES OF GRACE
DEVILDRIVER

Sunday, July 24:

ROB ZOMBIE
BILLY TALENT
SLAYER
MASTODON
TESTAMENT
BAPTIZED IN BLOOD
ANVIL
MELISSA AUF DER MAUR

I'm there. This embaresses the Heavy MTL lineup, although I'd love to see Machine Head.

I dont get how you think it embarrasses their lineup?
Its slayer, megadeth, mastadon, zombie, anvil, testament who ALL played in last year`s fest, dont you want some variety? You would be happy with an almost identical lineup from last year?
None of them have even released any new material since the last show!!

I for one am liking the anthrax, devildriver, in flames, KOS, Machinehead, motorhead, kiss, COB, opeth, The sword, and more bands will be added.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I really hope they take the good Sunday T.O. bands and add them to the Sat. MTL show (Slayer, Mastodon, Zombie, Testament). Yeah, we saw them last year but who cares, the lineup as it is needs a boost and this would do the trick.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
BTW the Heavy MTL, so far is:

Saturday, July 23 (Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour)

DISTURBED
GODSMACK
BILLY TALENT
IN FLAMES
TRIVIUM
UNEARTH
KINDGOM OF SORROW
RED FANG
MACHINE HEAD
SUICIDE SILENCE
ALL SHALL PERISH
STRAIGHT LINE STITCH

Sunday, July 24:

KISS
MOTÖRHEAD
OPETH
ANTHRAX
CHILDREN OF BODOM
AS I LAY DYING
THE SWORD
TIMES OF GRACE
DEVILDRIVER

Vic Rattlehead*

I'm slightly insane so I probably wouldn't mind spending a load of money only to see Opeth and Motorhead.

PaganKnight

Jul 29, 2009
Montreal
I *** love the second Day... Opeth's great... Live they're a little borring on the scene but they're as good as their record are. :yo:

neofury*

BTW the Heavy MTL, so far is:

Saturday, July 23 (Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour)

DISTURBED F
GODSMACK F
BILLY TALENT F-
IN FLAMES B
TRIVIUM
UNEARTH
KINDGOM OF SORROW
RED FANG
MACHINE HEAD
SUICIDE SILENCE
ALL SHALL PERISH
STRAIGHT LINE STITCH

Sunday, July 24:

KISS B
MOTÖRHEAD B
OPETH
ANTHRAX B
CHILDREN OF BODOM A
AS I LAY DYING
THE SWORD
TIMES OF GRACE
DEVILDRIVER

The rest I either never listened to, am indifferent about or just don't care.

How sad is it that day 2 is better than day 1?

CoB + Kiss alone >>>>> In flames + Day 1

Billy Talent alone makes day 1 absolutely dreadful. Maybe if they were an opening act but I bet they're borderline headlining.

I *** love the second Day... Opeth's great... Live they're a little borring on the scene but they're as good as their record are.

Any songs to recommend? Will possibly buy tickets just cause of CoB for day two and would like to check out some of their better stuff :)

Also As I Lay Dying, aren't they a screamo band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad