OT: Montreal music festivals (Heavy MTL/Osheaga etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
newer metal IMO is like post 1995

Metal took a different turn around that point, maybe a few years earlier, but the sound/bands have never been the same.

Bodom formed somewhere around 93 and in flames was in '90. LOG and a lot of other bands like to call 'classic metal' formed later. Classic metal for me is something like metallica, but the term doesn't mean much. A lot of north americans qualify 'classic metal' or bands that play something close to 'classic metal' just by them being thrash-ish.

New metal or 'nu-metal' is something like what limp bizkit, korn, slipknot etc. (although slipknot shouldn't be there)

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal
Despise all three of the bands you mentioned, however I do give bands like that a chance, All That Remains and Children of Bodom get the nod from me.

I don't really care about the sound quality in that I can't tell prior to the show how that's going to be, all I can tell is what line up is better. Day 2 was a horrible line up by comparison to day 1.

All that Remains kick ass and as do COB. Maybe the lineup wasnt comparable, i can agree, but i saw all performances on both days and the performance on the second day was way better. I have no bias, i like classic metal just as much as metal-core and i have to say the second day performances were better(for me) obviously we all share different opinions. After Rob Zombie, A7X's performance was by far the best. It was their first show after their drummer died( RIP ''The Rev'') and i never saw a band deliver a more heart-felt, emotional and at the same time kick-@ss show ever.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Bodom formed somewhere around 93 and in flames was in '90. LOG and a lot of other bands like to call 'classic metal' formed later. Classic metal for me is something like metallica, but the term doesn't mean much. A lot of north americans qualify 'classic metal' or bands that play something close to 'classic metal' just by them being thrash-ish.

New metal or 'nu-metal' is something like what limp bizkit, korn, slipknot etc. (although slipknot shouldn't be there)

im glad you have a nice definition of metal, but ive been listening to it longer than you have been alive likely.

Classic in terms of time lines: ie, sabbath, maiden, slayer, megadeth, etc, but they also encompass, thrash, doom, BWOHM, etc. But for purists, they all fall under the classic folder.

Although bands like LOG bring the pantera esque sound & image qualities, nothing will ever beat the originals!

Nu-metal & "newer" metal also is different IMO. But both can be one and the same. I consider bands like Devildriver, Black Dahlia Muder, Goatwhore, etc good "newer" metal, but far from Nu-metal like Korn.

Point being, lets get the bands on the festival already so we can complain about something.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
for day number two they need bands like : A7X, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Soilwork, The Devil Wears Prada, Stone Sour.. something along these lines would be epic.

nothing personal but i hope none of the bands you listed goes.

They seem to put the real metal bands on day one and the screamo/emo/hardcore etc on day 2 usually.

Last year it was BS cause I think if I remember correctly Lamb of God got put on the 2nd day, almost trying to force people to go to the worse day if they wanted to see LoG.

the only thing good about day 2 was chimaira, zombie and LOG. i agree the sound for some bands on day 1 sucked - fear factory:facepalm:- and korn was a joke how far they have fallen,but you can't compare newer bands to classic metal like megadeth and slayer.they are part of the roots of metal that sabbath started. this year on day 2 i would love devildriver,COB and alice in chains.

im glad you have a nice definition of metal, but ive been listening to it longer than you have been alive likely.

Classic in terms of time lines: ie, sabbath, maiden, slayer, megadeth, etc, but they also encompass, thrash, doom, BWOHM, etc. But for purists, they all fall under the classic folder.

Although bands like LOG bring the pantera esque sound & image qualities, nothing will ever beat the originals!

Nu-metal & "newer" metal also is different IMO. But both can be one and the same. I consider bands like Devildriver, Black Dahlia Muder, Goatwhore, etc good "newer" metal, but far from Nu-metal like Korn.

Point being, lets get the bands on the festival already so we can complain about something.

god i miss them. R.I.P. dimebag

Last edited by a moderator:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Nice opening argument mr. strawman. My dad can beat up yours. :help:

also watch the double/triple posts in this thread guys, i realize it's not as fast paced as some of the other threads, but it's getting messy in here.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I have been listening metal since the mid-90s. I have gotten used to people claiming the genre has deteriorated since the nu-metal 'fad' of the late 90s, early 00s. During this time, I have embraced all forms of metal from 'nu-metal' to the 'classics' to 'metalcore'. In fact, I prefer the newer stuff, especially symphonic black metal, than many of the ‘classics’. Of the newer genres, I am most impressed with the symphonic/Gothic metal bands from Europe in terms of their desire to mix non-traditional elements within the genre. I feel that this is what makes the genre grow and prosper, not a desire to stop the progression of the music at a specific time and space.

As for the classics like Metallica, little do people know that they themselves were at the forefront of experimentation. They incorporated punk elements into their music that are clearly evident in Kill 'Em All. In the early 1980s, they were too punk for metal fans and too metal for punk fans. If you love metal, whatever form that it takes, than horns up!!!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I have been listening metal since the mid-90s. I have gotten used to people claiming the genre has deteriorated since the nu-metal 'fad' of the late 90s, early 00s. During this time, I have embraced all forms of metal from 'nu-metal' to the 'classics' to 'metalcore'. In fact, I prefer the newer stuff, especially symphonic black metal, than many of the ‘classics’. Of the newer genres, I am most impressed with the symphonic/Gothic metal bands from Europe in terms of their desire to mix non-traditional elements within the genre. I feel that this is what makes the genre grow and prosper, not a desire to stop the progression of the music at a specific time and space.

As for the classics like Metallica, little do people know that they themselves were at the forefront of experimentation. They incorporated punk elements into their music that are clearly evident in Kill 'Em All. In the early 1980s, they were too punk for metal fans and too metal for punk fans. If you love metal, whatever form that it takes, than horns up!!!

More or less this, except hair metal :sarcasm:

neofury*

Nice opening argument mr. strawman. My dad can beat up yours. :help:

also watch the double/triple posts in this thread guys, i realize it's not as fast paced as some of the other threads, but it's getting messy in here.

You guys must be proud of me then, I used to be the worst abuser of the multiple posts in one thread all after one another issue :laugh:

I've gotten a lot better, I think you and H10H might get a 10 minute break now a days instead of never ;)

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
I agree that the musicians themselves have become better & that can be attributed to better technology & music industry as well. Musicians have to be top notch to survive the failing industry.

But regardless, classic metal IMO had better melody, song structure, icons & overall presentation. Now bands that you like in metal can be great for 2 years, then write 3-4 bad records back to back, then tour on old material, etc etc.
I like COB, but its like listening to the same albums over and over sometimes.

But im in the minority for my age, most friends i know prefer stuff like A7X, and all that other "stuff".
Same here. 22 and I love the old stuff.:handclap:

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Still nothing....they did say to be "patient" (on FB) as they were going to have an update soon.

I know the whole Big 4 thing has been shot down already but does anyone else find it odd that Megadeath is headlining Mayhem yet they don't appear on the first day of Heavy MTL????

One band that hasn't played either festival (08 or 2010) that I really hope makes the bill is Exodus, probably the best current group of the old school thrashers', IMO. I still prefer Slayer overall as they'll always be one of my favourite bands but Exodus is still putting out incredible albums, the most recent is simply epic.

You can add me to the camp that found day 2 yesterday pretty weak (I am a fan of 3IOB, LOG, Rob Zombie, Chimara, but the 2nd day as a whole was a big stepdown from day 1), which appears to be what day 1 will be this year (with the exception of Red Fang). Day 1 last year was loaded, hell, both High on Fire and Skeletonwitch hit the stage within the first 2 hrs, those 2 bands trump anything that's been announced thus far.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Still nothing....they did say to be "patient" (on FB) as they were going to have an update soon.

I know the whole Big 4 thing has been shot down already but does anyone else find it odd that Megadeath is headlining Mayhem yet they don't appear on the first day of Heavy MTL????One band that hasn't played either festival (08 or 2010) that I really hope makes the bill is Exodus, probably the best current group of the old school thrashers', IMO. I still prefer Slayer overall as they'll always be one of my favourite bands but Exodus is still putting out incredible albums, the most recent is simply epic.

You can add me to the camp that found day 2 yesterday pretty weak (I am a fan of 3IOB, LOG, Rob Zombie, Chimara, but the 2nd day as a whole was a big stepdown from day 1), which appears to be what day 1 will be this year (with the exception of Red Fang). Day 1 last year was loaded, hell, both High on Fire and Skeletonwitch hit the stage within the first 2 hrs, those 2 bands trump anything that's been announced thus far.

i think its because they are going to headline day 1 in toronto for heavyTO.

Viennese

Dec 20, 2010
Went to the first two Heavy MTL's and they were great, but seeing the lineup for this one makes me want to skip it.

What a crap lineup compared to the first two.

PaganKnight

Jul 29, 2009
Montreal
Bruins fan come to tell some rumor from a French site who's the best metal site from Quebec. Rumor have Billy Talent on the First Day and Kiss, Motorhead on the second Day

By The way I have seen it last year The top 5 was

1-Alice Cooper
2-KoRn
3-Rob Zombie
4-Kataklysm
5-Airbourne

Slayer and Megadeth was great But No Raining blood was borring and Mustaine was singing like crap but Day One was Way Better. Too much crap like Avenged Sevenfold and stupid Metalcore on the second day

Last edited:

PaganKnight

Jul 29, 2009
Montreal
Kiss can be Okay since they're legend but Billy Talent is there to make poeple quit Parc Jean Drapeau peacefully at 9:30 PM

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Bruins fan come to tell some rumor from a French site who's the best metal site from Quebec. Rumor have Billy Talent on the First Day and Kiss, Motorhead on the second Day

By The way I have seen it last year The top 5 was

1-Alice Cooper
2-KoRn3-Rob Zombie
4-Kataklysm
5-Airbourne

Slayer and Megadeth was great But No Raining blood was borring and Mustaine was singing like crap but Day One was Way Better. Too much crap like Avenged Sevenfold and stupid Metalcore on the second day

we left half way through korn.they are a shell of there former self. last years top bands live were

rob zombie
megadeth
lamb of god
chimaira
alice cooper
slayer
kataklysm

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Kiss can be Okay since they're legend but Billy Talent is there to make poeple quit Parc Jean Drapeau peacefully at 9:30 PM

Comon, kiss was alright in their PRIME, they've got nothing to put on that stage that a current band can't bring.

And agreed about billy talent. The first heavy MTL had dethklok, right? Now we have some pop-punk **** band? I've started to wonder if heavy MTl should really be a yearly thing. They should only do it when they've got a solid lineup, this year's is shaping up to hardly even be worth a 30$ entry fee.

we left half way through korn.they are a shell of there former self. last years top bands live were

rob zombie
megadeth
lamb of god
chimaira
alice cooper
slayer
kataklysm

I think KoRn only has 2 of their original members left. They really need to call it quits, about 3 albums ago.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I know it's not the good thread but I don't feel like creating a new one and since Heavy MTL and Osheaga take place about @ same place and same time: heard Foo Fighters are coming to Osheaga this summer. That would be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->