OT: Montreal music festivals (Heavy MTL/Osheaga etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
so its march 11 and still no news. the website said the line up would be out early march.does this mean that they can't get anyone good for day 2 and we are stuck with poison,warrant and anvil.:facepalm:

i have a feeling they are having trouble booking talent

alot of decent metal shows coming around that time.

jamz

Sep 19, 2008
Montréal
I'm really hoping for SOAD. I went to their last show at Parc Jean Drapeau it was raining like crazy it was pretty awesome.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
so its march 11 and still no news. the website said the line up would be out early march.does this mean that they can't get anyone good for day 2 and we are stuck with poison,warrant and anvil.:facepalm:

That would be amazing, i went to the 1st edition just to see warrant 2 years ago, Poison would be even better

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'm really hoping for SOAD. I went to their last show at Parc Jean Drapeau it was raining like crazy it was pretty awesome.

i was there and that was one of the best concert experiences ever. i had heard that SOAD turned down the offer from heavy mtl. :cry:

That would be amazing, i went to the 1st edition just to see warrant 2 years ago, Poison would be even better

time to dig out the leather pants and fluff up the old mullet.

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal
for day number two they need bands like : A7X, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Soilwork, The Devil Wears Prada, Stone Sour.. something along these lines would be epic.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

Same here, hoping for SOAD. I went to their concerts here at the Bell center and the CEPSUM. Missed the Jean Drapeau one :(. Both were incredible. I'd go for sure if they showed up.

Xia

Mar 9, 2011
Toronto
What this festival needs are some bands like Mastodon, Lamb of God, Machine Head and Gojira!

neofury*

They seem to put the real metal bands on day one and the screamo/emo/hardcore etc on day 2 usually.

Last year it was BS cause I think if I remember correctly Lamb of God got put on the 2nd day, almost trying to force people to go to the worse day if they wanted to see LoG.

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal
They seem to put the real metal bands on day one and the screamo/emo/hardcore etc on day 2 usually.

Last year it was BS cause I think if I remember correctly Lamb of God got put on the 2nd day, almost trying to force people to go to the worse day if they wanted to see LoG.

Im sorry, but i went to both days, and day 2 was 1000x better than day 1. The sound was just brutal the first day and most of the bands on the second day gave a way better show than the bands on day 1. Problem is a lot of metal fans are old school fans(as i was a few years ago) and wont give the newer, scremo/metalcore bands a shot. You'd be very suprised on how talented, melodic and catchy some of the bands really are, e.g last year(alexisonfire, avenged sevenfold, atreyu)

void

Jan 5, 2006

Yep, I was there as well. It was ****ing INSANE. I was soaking wet and SO cold but it was definitely worth. I also saw them at the Bell Centre a couple of years before the Jean Drapeau show and that was also an awesome show.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Im sorry, but i went to both days, and day 2 was 1000x better than day 1. The sound was just brutal the first day and most of the bands on the second day gave a way better show than the bands on day 1. Problem is a lot of metal fans are old school fans(as i was a few years ago) and wont give the newer, scremo/metalcore bands a shot. You'd be very suprised on how talented, melodic and catchy some of the bands really are, e.g last year(alexisonfire, avenged sevenfold, atreyu)

wow dude
day 1 was so much better with slayer, megadeth, high on fire, mastadon, halford, fear factory, skeletonwitch, anvil etc

Lets be serious here.
Korn is finished, as irrelevant as ever.
Rob Zombie i must say is fun.
LOG was awesome.

The rest was ok, some decent bands like hatebreed/shadows fall, but overall is you enjoy classic metal, day 1 was master.
And its coming from someone who doesnt mind newer metal like in flames, COB, 36 crazyfists, etc.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005

LOG was part of the Mayhem tour w/Korn, Zombie, etc, so they had to play day 2. Thank god.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
wow dude
day 1 was so much better with slayer, megadeth, high on fire, mastadon, halford, fear factory, skeletonwitch, anvil etc

Lets be serious here.
LOG was awesome.

The rest was ok, some decent bands like hatebreed/shadows fall, but overall is you enjoy classic metal, day 1 was master.
And its coming from someone who doesnt mind newer metal like in flames, COB, 36 crazyfists, etc.

Newer metal? in flames and COB were both founded before hatebreed and LOG.

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal
wow dude

Lets be serious here.
LOG was awesome.

Day 1 had bigger and better names sure, but i dunno i found the sound to be brutal compared to the second day. And im a musician ive been playing for 12 years, its one of the first things i notice is sound. But i guess it comes down to a question of taste in the end. Ive always been a fan of old school metal, but its 3-4 years now im into the ''newer metal'' and the talent level is non-comparable. For someone who is a fan of both, id still have to say day 2 was better overall. Although Korn is finished, their set was incredible. And they had this new drummer, forgot his name, he was outstanding and his kit/setup was out of this world.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Newer metal? in flames and COB were both founded before hatebreed and LOG.

newer metal IMO is like post 1995

Metal took a different turn around that point, maybe a few years earlier, but the sound/bands have never been the same.

Day 1 had bigger and better names sure, but i dunno i found the sound to be brutal compared to the second day. And im a musician ive been playing for 12 years, its one of the first things i notice is sound. But i guess it comes down to a question of taste in the end. Ive always been a fan of old school metal, but its 3-4 years now im into the ''newer metal'' and the talent level is non-comparable. For someone who is a fan of both, id still have to say day 2 was better overall. Although Korn is finished, their set was incredible. And they had this new drummer, forgot his name, he was outstanding and his kit/setup was out of this world.

I agree that the musicians themselves have become better & that can be attributed to better technology & music industry as well. Musicians have to be top notch to survive the failing industry.

But regardless, classic metal IMO had better melody, song structure, icons & overall presentation. Now bands that you like in metal can be great for 2 years, then write 3-4 bad records back to back, then tour on old material, etc etc.
I like COB, but its like listening to the same albums over and over sometimes.

But im in the minority for my age, most friends i know prefer stuff like A7X, and all that other "stuff".

neofury*

Despise all three of the bands you mentioned, however I do give bands like that a chance, All That Remains and Children of Bodom get the nod from me.

I don't really care about the sound quality in that I can't tell prior to the show how that's going to be, all I can tell is what line up is better. Day 2 was a horrible line up by comparison to day 1.

I agree that the musicians themselves have become better & that can be attributed to better technology & music industry as well. Musicians have to be top notch to survive the failing industry.

But regardless, classic metal IMO had better melody, song structure, icons & overall presentation. Now bands that you like in metal can be great for 2 years, then write 3-4 bad records back to back, then tour on old material, etc etc.

But im in the minority for my age, most friends i know prefer stuff like A7X, and all that other "stuff".

Same here, I much prefer Megadeth Slayer Metallica to A7X (don't even consider them metal) and other bands mentioned in this thread.

I don't dislike all newer metal bands, like I said I like CoB and other bands that might not be truly considered metal such as All That Remains, even some more emoish stuff like Thrice, but I just don't like most of the nu-metal genre. Yeah sure bands like Lamb of God are great, but for every Lamb of God there's a hatebreed (despise them too).

I know in terms of technical skill A7X and company are very good, their style of music just isn't what I'm into. In terms of riffs and stuff I still even listen to a few of their songs just due to a general love for guitar work, solid instrumentals in general, but Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Pantera are just more-so bands I listen to because I not only like their technical skill level but the songs they write as well.

The other bands mentioned in this thread are like a good guitarist whose stuck in a total **** storm. A bunch of crashing and banging on the drums, some bass player playing either really easy bass lines or hard stuff that sounds like **** anyways, and a singer I typically can't understand along with solid guitar work. I know coming from a guy who likes CoB that's funny, I can't explain why I like them and not other similar bands, I just do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal

i agree that classic metal had catchier melodies and riffs and thats because they were a lot simpler and in music ''less is more'' goes a long way in terms of writing hits. But you would be surprised on some newer metal bands on their catchiness, and of course the talent level is unreal. At the same time one must be able to tolerate screaming because most of the metal-core is half screams half singing. Best example i can give is Bullet For My Valentine. If one likes Metallica, Pantera and Iron Maiden you will absolutely love BFMV as they are heavily influenced by these 3 bands. And on that point, i love listening to newer metal bands because in most of their work you can actually pick out which bands they were influenced by and its nice to see that the metal Gods; Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, Pantera, In Flames, Slayer,etc have had their influence on all these younger metal bands and not necessarily having these newer bands sound at all like their idols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad