Montreal loses hockey legend; Red Fisher passes at 91

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Red Fisher, the chronicler and the conscience of Montreal hockey whose career touched seven decades, died on Friday at age 91.

Fisher started on the Canadiens beat in 1955 in the era of train travel and finished it in 2012 when reporters tweeted the lines at morning skates. The man knew how to make an entrance: the first game he covered was the Richard Riot, that singular marriage of hockey, sociology and, ultimately, mythology that has marked Quebec for generations.

Fisher was the link to the most glorious of the Canadiens teams and covered 17 of their record 24 Stanley Cups. Along the way, the journalist who was believed to be the longest-serving beat man covering the major North American leagues collected three National Newspaper Awards and thousands of tales, entertaining readers and often ennobling hockey.

RIP Red.

:habs

Reactions: ps241

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
untitled.png

Reactions: Dialamo

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Proof of my mortality once again. A legend lost god bless you red. you made my youth special way before the internet. You rest in peace and please let your family know your impact in printed press made us as children fall in love with this beautiful game.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He died 10 days after his wife of 61 years. Grew up reading him in the Montreal Star.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He may have been from montreal, but Hockey lost a legend.

Best hockey writer I was lucky enough to read, and read often.

RIP

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
His writing was exceptional, the one about Jean Beliveau when he died was one of the best sports journal I most likely get to read in my lifetime, nowadays journalists are trash.

Lived a long, good life

Godspeed Red

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The best. The yard stick by which all others are measured (and fall criminally short most of the time). Never afraid to tell it like it is and publicly hold people accountable.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad