News Article: Montreal loses a hockey legend as Red Fisher dies at age 91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DT8bOxeU0AAFLk_.jpg

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He was perhaps the sharpest and smartest there was from a different age, back when it was possible for sports journalists to be insiders without being boot lickers. He remained a witty writer when called upon even after retirement. As much a part of Habs lore as plenty of players and executives.

Another piece of our glory days gone. This is in some ways tougher than losing some legendary players, as Red was one of the best doors to pre-90s hockey for those of us too young to experience it live.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He was perhaps the sharpest and smartest there was from a different age, back when it was possible for sports journalists to be insiders without being boot lickers. He remained a witty writer when called upon even after retirement. As much a part of Habs lore as plenty of players and executives.

Another piece of our glory days gone. This is in some ways tougher than losing some legendary players, as Red was one of the best doors to pre-90s hockey for those of us too young to experience it live.
The bolded is very true. Red was there since 1955, longer, by far, than any owner, coach, or player. Almost 60 years of bylines makes his name as recognizable as the jersey.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As I had posted in another thread before this one came up, this photo is particularly gripping:

$

Fisher was passionate about what he did but lucky for us, his passion transcended his writing. Thank-you Red for so many insightful articles, especially at a time when there was no internet and reporters were so few -- we consumed every word, not because we're naive, but because we knew you could be trusted.

RIP.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Many years ago, the Calgary Sun would publish a Red Fisher piece once a week. I don't remember what day of the week it was, but it was usually on the Canadiens and I relished his news.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
There was nobody better - Fisher knew more and had more insight than ten Bob McKenzie’s. A brilliant, witty, curmudgeonly old bastard, Fisher was simply the best. For those (like myself) who were fortunate enough to grow up reading his articles, you were very lucky. Fisher made those great Habs teams even more entertaining, through his insights, descriptions and ability to communicate personally with every single reader. He was the best writer I’ve ever known in hockey, and he will be missed. Thanks for all the great articles and memories over the years Red, Godspeed.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Did Cherry mention Red in the opening of HNIC? I was surprised he had no mention in Coach’s Corner.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Meant to post this earlier. From the Boston Globe:

Can’t let the weekend pass without paying tribute to good pal Red Fisher, the legendary Montreal scribe who died Friday at age 91. A unique voice and a unique character, Fisher chronicled Les Glorieux for nearly 60 years, his love of the game and the people who make it great woven into every paragraph. By the way, if you treasure fine writing, make sure to read Michael Farber’s superb tribute to Fisher in the Montreal Gazette.
Prior to Saturday’s faceoff, there was a moment of silence held for Fisher at the Bell Center. Earlier, media wags lifted shots of Chivas, Red’s favorite, in the seventh-floor press room, where he continued to hold court pregame even after retiring in his mid-80s. The Bruins, in the days when Nate Greenberg ran their public relations department, stored a bottle of Chivas in the press room that made its way out of the cabinet only when Fisher was in town with the Habs.
He loved what he did. The game, and all the people around it, loved him back.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
A wonderful writer, always always enjoyed his stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad