Montreal in the playoffs

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
I think Columbus is a bit of a weird, specific example. At the trading deadline, they were just like Montreal: a bubble playoff-ish team. They made deals, and moved backwards while the chemistry was figured out. Now, once the acquisitions have meshed, I'd argued they are substantially better than their record.

Certainly part of this is Tampa collapsing, but a bigger part of it is Columbus is better than 16-ish place team that Montreal is.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Montreal was a 96 point team this season, doubt it would have been a sweep, could have gone 6-7, there are 3 teams in these playoffs with inferior records and total points than mtl, Stars, Golden Knights and Avs, 2018-19 Habs are one of the better teams in recent years to miss the playoffs imo.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
lol at saying montreal would have no chance.
Tampa went 3-0 against CBJ in the regular season...outscoring them 17-3! You're telling me what we're seeing from tampa is their true form? MANY NHL teams would look good against the garbage hockey that tampa is currently playing.

will anyone say that the jackets are more talented than the bolts? if they're not, how are they winning in convincing fashion?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal can actually keep pace with Tampa 5v5 to keep it competitive in that aspect but probably would've probably been destroyed by special teams so that would be the difference. Assuming they wouldn't be able to replicate what the Jackets did to shut down Tampa's PP. Only shot would have been Conn Smythe level performance by Price, which is not too farfetched but still not something to reasonably bank on. Vasilevsky's collapse is interesting though and certainly would even things up if we're going to credit a hypothetical series with that too.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
As a habs fan - no difference. Just because Columbus is putting a historic performance forth against Tampa it doesn't mean that any other team in that position does too. That's silly.

If Montreal had beaten Columbus in that game 50 to 0 instead of losing 6-2 - we *still* don't make the playoffs. They had the tie-breaker. Nice try though.

Jokes on you because if Montreal would have won that game they would have finished with 98 points and Columbus would have finished with 96.

I don't know where you'd need a tie breaker. Nice try though.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Habs could have beat Tampa. Any team can get hot in the first series. But they wouldn't have been able to win 4 series. That's what maters.

I'm actually happy to see the BJ doing well.They stole the habs playoff spot by going all in. It's nice to see they didn't do this in vain.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Tampa would have swept us, we have no pp and our 5 on 5 scoring would have dried up under tighter checking. Columbus is a superior team.

Reactions: the

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
This is embarassing, Tampa would have destroyed us...let’s not compare ourselves to Columbus.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
All the analytics would tell you sweep for Tampa...but all the analytics experts also look like idiots now with the result of the CBJ- TBL series.

Goes to show that once the season is over, absolutely anything can happen in the playoffs.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
Ask me before the playoffs and I say Tampa sweeps us.

After today? Who knows, they have such a mentally weak team that almost any playoff worthy team would give them a headache imo.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Would the Canadiens have had the same success in the playoffs against Tampa? I’m curious how the fans feel now about missing the playoffs, if it’s worse because they feel like they could have won or if it’s better because Columbus has clearly proven themselves to be the better team now?

Tampa probably advances. I think teams like Washington, and Columbus share a certain quality, that can make life difficult for Tampa, which Montreal does not have, and that is the heaviness, and physicality to go with the skill.

Montreal was successful because of speed. That only plays into tampa's hands.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Tampa probably advances. I think teams like Washington, and Columbus share a certain quality, that can make life difficult for Tampa, which Montreal does not have, and that is the heaviness, and physicality to go with the skill.

Montreal was successful because of speed. That only plays into tampa's hands.
Montreal doesn't have a Panarin or even a Duchene to counter Tampa

Reactions: Fixxer

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Montreal doesn't have a Panarin or even a Duchene to counter Tampa

I just said the habs are a very fast team. They didn't have one high scorer aside from Domi, but they spread it throughout the lineup well enough.

Their speed has given many teams problems, but Tampa has no issues playing that game. Columbus and Washington have the best makeup to give them problems in the east.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->