Montreal in the playoffs

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Mother of hypothetical threads. Would any other non-playoff team beat TB? No. Would MTL? No.

Non-playoff teams do not matter this time of year, they stay on the golf course and at the pool party until the draft.

I love how you say that with certainty, when before playoffs started you also would have predicted a columbus loss. What an awful comment

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Montreal has
  • Price vs Bob
  • Jones/Werenski vs Weber/Petry
  • Benn Kulak Mete Reilly vs Murray Savard Nutivaara Harrington
  • Panarin/Atkinson/Dubois/Duchene vs Domi/Tatar/Drouin/Gallagher/Danault
  • I won't list the other forwards but it's probably a wash ?
Both are hard working teams, but to me it looks like Columbus has a better D and a better group of core forwards, and Bob can be a top 3 goalie in the world when he's on. Columbus also has the height and weight advantage.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No way Montreal beat them. Tampa always had Montreal’s number and the Canadiens just don’t match well with Tampa. Most likely a sweep for Tampa.

Blue Jackets don't match well with Lightning before the playoffs either. Montreal plays an overall better defensive stingy game and for what it's worth Price's previous record although still not so good have been far better than Bob's records that's for sure.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Montreal has
  • Price vs Bob
  • Jones/Werenski vs Weber/Petry
  • Benn Kulak Mete Reilly vs Murray Savard Nutivaara Harrington
  • Panarin/Atkinson/Dubois/Duchene vs Domi/Tatar/Drouin/Gallagher/Danault
  • I won't list the other forwards but it's probably a wash ?
Both are hard working teams, but to me it looks like Columbus has a better D and a better group of core forwards, and Bob can be a top 3 goalie in the world when he's on. Columbus also has the height and weight advantage.
Well, among impact secondary forwards, you overlooked Shaw for the Habs, and Anderson and Bjorkstrand and Dzingel for the Jackets. After that, tho, you might have a wash. :)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Bottom line is Columbus went all in and it looks to be paying off. When we played Columbus on March 28th, it was clear that the Jackets were simply ahead of us. Good for them. This isn't just Tampa shitting the bed, this is a very talented Columbus team playing great hockey.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
As a Hab fan I have to believe we would have stood a chance against TB, but CBJ and CAR have both proved they belong in the playoffs.

Even in the west, there's really not a wildcard team I can say is wasting their playoff spot.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well, among impact secondary forwards, you overlooked Shaw for the Habs, and Anderson and Bjorkstrand and Dzingel for the Jackets. After that, tho, you might have a wash. :)

Good point, I did not know where to draw the line :P (and I wanted to give Montreal a break :() :laugh:

thomaspalmer

May 27, 2016
Hamilton, ON
Just because Columbus seems to be dominating now doesn't mean that it was the popular opinion prior to the playoffs. In other words, considering that almost nobody had predicted that Columbus would get off to a 3-0 start, I feel like it would be just as hard to forecast how Montreal would do.

On paper, and based on the regular season? Sure, Tampa easily beats Montreal. But, many (including myself), had predicted they would be doing the same to Columbus. So, would Montreal have the same success? Maybe. Maybe not.

Reactions: Smokin Budaj

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Are people forgetting that the Blue Jackets added Ottawa's first line, more or less, to their lineup at the deadline? Columbus and Montreal may have been close in terms of points in the standings, but they became a completely different team at the deadline, a much better one.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We’ll never know but the Jackets are really bringing it. They earned to be here and are earning the chance to advance.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Would the Canadiens have had the same success in the playoffs against Tampa? I’m curious how the fans feel now about missing the playoffs, if it’s worse because they feel like they could have won or if it’s better because Columbus has clearly proven themselves to be the better team now?

As a habs fan - no difference. Just because Columbus is putting a historic performance forth against Tampa it doesn't mean that any other team in that position does too. That's silly.

Montreal lost to Columbus 6-2, one week before the playoffs. If they would have won that game they would have been in, but they choked.

Columbus > Montreal

If Montreal had beaten Columbus in that game 50 to 0 instead of losing 6-2 - we *still* don't make the playoffs. They had the tie-breaker. Nice try though.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I predicted Habs in 4. Looks like CBJ might be the one's to do the deed instead.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
what is this? does Arizona beat calgary? who the **** knows? on paper, no. Lots of maybes. TB doesn't seem to be match up well vs heavy teams that can skate too. They got spanked by caps late in year. Habs present different problems, but it would've required Price in God-mode. It's irrelevant now

exactly.

why is this a thread again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad